Will a dragon eat dirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Strange question, I know, but I want to know if anyone has ever had an issue with their dragons eating dirt. Not like just getting some going after crickets, but actively eating it. I want to know because I want to put dirt as the substrate for my girl, Sapphire, but she's got a habit of eating anything and everything so I'm not sure I want to risk impaction.

I gave her a dig box to keep her entertained, and what did she do? She ate the flax seed. I had to bathe her like 3 days in a row for her to pass it all, and her poop was just flax seeds, so I know she wasn't just getting some random pieces and actually ate it. This is why I'm not sure if dirt will be good. Before anyone gets concerned, there's no more dig box. It was removed once I noticed the problem, and she's fine. Just ate a lot of flax for whatever reason.

I'd like to do bioactive but as I'll be leaving her in the care of my mom in a couple years so I can go to college, I can't yet. However I'd still love to get her on dirt so it's more natural and she can dig and burrow if she wants which I'm sure she'd enjoy.

But has anyone ever had issue with dragons eating dirt, and if she ate flax seed like that do you think it would be a good idea to try out dirt substrate? Also, since sand-dirt mix is best for that, would that be safe for her with her bad eating habits? I don't want to have to be concerned about impaction. I'd be able to notice the signs and get her to the vet right away if anything happened, but if I'm at college and it's just my mom caring for her I'd be worried she wouldn't notice anything wrong.

Just looking for some advice and opinions, I won't be able to do it for weeks anyway as the weather needs to warm up to get any dirt.

I couldn't really see dirt being a huge issue for impaction being as sand is litthe tiny grains that will clump together, but dirts pretty soft. Soil is pretty much what their on in the wild so I don't think it would be a bad idea. I've never had my beardie eat anything other than food Lol. I would try dirt and see if she eats it or not? Not all beardies are the same I've read about beardies eating their own poo so just be careful and where do you plan on buying the dirt from?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Sometimes reptiles deliberately eat dirt, sand, pebbles...etc, some do it to aid in digestion. How big is your dragon?

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She's a full grown adult. Not sure on exact measurement as I'm not home currently, but she's normal size for an adult.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Taterbug has a lot of experience with bioactive. She might be able to give you some thoughts on a more natural substrate choice for you. I have always used sand for subadults and adults. I know lots of people worry about sand...but I have used it for a very long time with lots of different reptiles and never had a problem with it. But I won't fault anyone for having strong opinions against its use. We all gotta do what's in our comfort level.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Pika is the term for abnormal substrate eating (rocks, dirt etc). I think it is considered a symptom of poor diet or mineral deficiencies.

For a healthy animal a bit of dirt won't be a problem but I would worry if she has tendencies for eating substrates. I love bioactive but I wouldn't start using it without careful observation at least for a few weeks. I was nervous at first and Pepper didn't have any weird habits.

Keep in mind bioactive needs to be maintained. Would your mom be ok watering and maintaining it while your at school?

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Use to work with human PICA patients...one ate an entire bedsheet (in one piece), another ate a trash bag. Both required surgery to remove them. Strange condition...

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My mom probably could keep it maintained, but I'm not going to as she has a lot of other stuff to do so I'm keeping care for her simple. Well, as simple as possible. If anything I'm more so thinking of adding a dig box of bioactive material instead of full on bioactive.

As for humidity, I did look into it and it's possible to keep it at a proper humidity, it just requires putting it together well and maintaining it properly.

Though she's never had any other strange eating habits or tried to eat anything else other than just the flax, so I'm not sure. Maybe I'll make a dig box but outside her tank for supervision only until I'm at all convinced she won't eat it.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Mylittlebabytiger99":308qr92z said:
Wouldn't you have to worry about humidity levels being too high with a bioactive substate?
Nope. Boiactive is good for high humidity setups but works pretty well for low humidity too - just need enough ventilation and to nonover water. Leaf litter and surface debris keeps the moisture in the soil and the deeper you dig the damper it gets. On watering days it spikes but spikes aren't an issue and they clear out in a few hours.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
SilverGravity":3eug19c5 said:
My mom probably could keep it maintained, but I'm not going to as she has a lot of other stuff to do so I'm keeping care for her simple. Well, as simple as possible. If anything I'm more so thinking of adding a dig box of bioactive material instead of full on bioactive.

As for humidity, I did look into it and it's possible to keep it at a proper humidity, it just requires putting it together well and maintaining it properly.

Though she's never had any other strange eating habits or tried to eat anything else other than just the flax, so I'm not sure. Maybe I'll make a dig box but outside her tank for supervision only until I'm at all convinced she won't eat it.

Letting her try out a dirt bin sounds like a fine start. It's only once you intend to keep the system running long term that you need to worry about the cleaner crew and bioactive aspect. Keeping the soil mixed up and "fresh" should be fine for a trial.

Maybe the flax seed seemed like food to her. I'm sure from a senses (smell, taste and chemical) flax seed are way different from dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom