New to beardies and there not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I've had these 3 beardies for about 3 days and 2 haven't barley eat really and the third is eating very good I'm not sure how old they are or gender I've measured and there all right at 7 inches long I need as much Info and advice that I can get I'll post pics of them in and out of habitats so there is more for y'all to be able to tell me

kornel351

Hatchling Member
Please house them sperately as the one who is eatting might be bullying them by eatting more food and using all the UVB for itself.If this is already done what are the temperatures of the basking spots,size of the enclosure, humidity,what type of food/s do you offer?Do u use a UvB bulb if so what brand ?

Newbeardieowner88

Original Poster
I have 1thats eating housed by itself and the other 2 are in a tank I'm not sure of gal size but measures 36x18x18 with ceramic lamps and heating bulbs and moon bulbs with sand as bedding that PetSmart suggested to me

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
XIMG does it, though I prefer to crop my images using MS Paint (or similar) save as gif format, upload to TinyPic (is free , I select 17inch monitor as the image size) and I simply copy and post the IMG code created into my post.

As already suggested, it's very important that you separate your three hatchlings. Essentially they will be competing for food, prime basking spots and best sleeping spots and inevitably one of the group will be more voracious in feeding and will get the lion's share of the food and will grow much faster than it's submissive tank mate/s who will be continuously under stress, will not get enough food to grow properly and will fail to thrive.
Eventually the dominance will become bullying and at this point things can turn nasty and vicious in an instant (and the dominant lizard will start attacking it's tank mates unless they can get away from it or hide from it, toes, fingers , feet , hands and even arms and legs can be maimed or even bitten off , and they are perfectly capable of killing their tank mates. Really never too soon to separate them IMO. I separated Peppa and Toothless almost immediately (only shared the same tank for a week).
Rearing them hatchlings in their own individual tanks will result in all your hatchlings being less stressed, getting their fair share of high quality insects, dietary calcium, UVA and UVB , heat (basking) and napping. All will have the best chance of thriving.

They can be relatively cheaply be housed in a 90 - 100 L tub (with sides you can see through) each , all you need then is a hide for each , a good quality 10% UVB ( there are options ) and maybe a climbing branch for each.
UV options for 3 rearing tubs : side by side format
>>> 2x 80w - 100W MVBs (one over the end of one tub, the other over the adjacents ends of the two other tubs (MVBs will provide all the hatchlings' needs for UVA , UVB, light and heat , no other lights needed
or
>>> 2x 24W T5 tubes rated at least 10% UVB (higher is better) in luminares with reflectors similarly arranged as above , will need a 60W - 80W Par38 or equiv incandescent spotty to provide a warm basking spot.
the above two options require no lid , and the rearing tubs are not stackable in these options.

or
>>> 3x 26W UVB200 compacts (these are rated at 10% UVB) mounted under the lid in nanohoods (one per tank = my arrangement) + a about 60W par38 spotty mounted under a removeable piece of 1/2" plywood that sits on supports attached to the sides of the tank (they are too hot to mount directly under a plastic lid , in summer I don't use the 60W but go for a smaller wattage globe.
My tanks are stacked.

Only mods needed for the stacked tubs with lids on , is air ventilation holes , a electric soldering iron is perfect to melt 2 bunches of holes (one high on one end, one low on the other).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Newbeardieowner88":1vk2rml8 said:
I have 1thats eating housed by itself and the other 2 are in a tank I'm not sure of gal size but measures 36x18x18 with ceramic lamps and heating bulbs and moon bulbs with sand as bedding that PetSmart suggested to me

All three need to be housed separately and individually, and definitely fed separately. It's OK to hand feed bugs to poor feeders if this is the only way to get the needed insect proteins and dietary calcium into them.

Darned petsmart strikes again with very poor advise.

Moon bulbs are not suitable for beardies .... return the moon bulb to the shop and exchange for other stuff.

Sand is a very poor bedding for a hatchlings, especially calci-sand (that stuff is lethal to hatchlings), better off replacing the sand with paper toweling, or lino, loosely laid wall or floor tiles (no glue or grout). Hatchings have a habit of ingesting particulate beddings which become stuck to their wet greens or when they are eating their bugs, and if the particles of bedding are not digestable (really none of them are) and accumulate in their gut or intestines this results in impaction and the strong possibility of death.
No particulate beddings are suitable for hatchling beardies ( yes I know some very vocal breeders and keepers claim dry screened playsand is safe and they claim no problems even with the youngest hatchlings on playsand) , better safe than sorry IMO.

Lighting :
UVA at least 30% , UVB at least 10% from either MVBs
or 26W UVB200 compacts (they are OK to use and suitable for a tank 18" tall) + a 60 - 80W Par38 (clear and colourless incandescent bulb) for light and heat,
or 24W T5 10 - 14% UVB tube with a reflector behind the tube + a 60 - 80W par38 for light and heat.
No lights needed at night, but if the room gets colder than 21oC at night a CHE and perhaps a heatmat (between tiles under the hide) will be appreciated by the hatchlings who need to be kept warm overnight to ensure they process their food properly and wake up hungry at brekky .

Best feeders for young hatchlings are
>>> BSF maggots (phoenix worms in the USA)
>>> silkworms (up to medium = 2" long)
>>> gut loaded calcium dusted suitable sized crickets or roaches

under 4 months old , 3 meals of insects per day , as many as they want each per meal.

kornel351

Hatchling Member
Remove the sand immediately as it could cause impaction in little baby dragons especially if they consume food with it

Newbeardieowner88

Original Poster
Thank you so much guys it's raining pretty hard and I remember seeing other types of lights and stuff at PetSmart I'll have to go tomorrow to get lights and bedding it's raining really bad and mom won't get off work til really late tonight petstore is closed

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Newbeardieowner88":13ora8ce said:
Thank you so much guys it's raining pretty hard and I remember seeing other types of lights and stuff at PetSmart I'll have to go tomorrow to get lights and bedding it's raining really bad and mom won't get off work til really late tonight petstore is closed

BEDDING.... all you need are newsprint or paper toweling.
Lino is good too.
I use loosely laid ceramic tiles in Rex's tank (no glue , no grout , tile is soiled it comes out and goes outside onto the garden path to be blasted by the garden hose).

Avoid particulate beddings for beardies (especially hatchlings), the particles if ingested are a impaction hazard.

NO SAND is the best policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom