HELP! My beardie is not sick but light went out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I got a beardie on Dec 10. He was maybe 2 months old (don't know exact hatch date but from measurements, I would guess 1.5-2.5 months old. Well, tonight my blacklight burnt out and I have a 5 year old in bed. I have a classic heating pad that I was thinking about cuddling him until I can get the appropriate temp on the bottom of the tank by buffering with towels.

Any thoughts? his tank is about 70 degrees right now..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....you really don't need any heat at night unless it goes below 65 F. If you do need heat a ceramic heat emitter [ CHE ] is best, it produces heat but no light. A heat pad CAN be put under the tank as long as it doesn't get too hot.

massconfusion149

Original Poster
I have read that babies need heat at night. So would he no longer be considered a baby? (Yes, I have verified its a he based on flashlight)

massconfusion149

Original Poster
AHBD":qciunau5 said:
Yes he's a baby but not a hatchling. At 70 degrees he will be fine. :)

Thanks so much! He has been growing like crazy but I try to do best for him.. I plan to order 1 more bulb for night and an extra for day. You say ceramic, the 100w blacklight has been doing good so is a 100w ceramic going to do the same? Also, I use a powersun uvb 100w - is that good or should I switch (since I'm doing it now I'm asking now.. don't want basking light to go out!!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
A ceramic heat emitter puts out heat but no light. They prefer it to be cool and dark at night so their metabolism can slow down to aquire the rest they need. ANY type of light....be it a blacklight, red light, yellow light or, white light (light is light) will disturb this process causing many side effects like lethargy and, loss of appetite. If they can't rest they get sleepy, cranky and, lazy...sleep deprivation is a bad thing.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A ceramic heater is best for night, and the Powersun 100 is a good MVB . I use them myself. It comes with a warranty in the box, so you have 30 days from time of purchse to fill it + send it in. Then if for some reason it dies you send the info + they replace it . That is the Zoo med lab., not the store you got it from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom