Question about terrarium temperature

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Question about terrarium temperature

Postby Stuuuart » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:59 am

I have a 40 gallon glass terrarium with 2 front doors, a side vent, and a metal mesh top. I have a 36 inch hood with a T5 desert bulb (120 watt) that covers the top of the terrarium. And I have a ceramic heat emitter above one of my dragons basking spots. Both sit on top of the metal mesh top. I will include a picture if you want to get a better idea of my set up. My dragon is 18 months old a roughly 20 inches in length. (She spends most of her time on the drift wood so I moved the heat emitter there) http://imgur.com/YmxIUwO

Her cage averages about 82 degrees in the winter and 88 degrees in the summer. Right now when she sits under the heat emitter her body temperature is 85 degrees. Is she at a good temperature or should it be higher? I could cut a hole the metal mesh so less heat gets absorbed. But I don't want to do that unless someone tells me her body temperature is too low.
Stuuuart
Newbie Poster

Re: Question about terrarium temperature

Postby tatianaaraclli » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 pm

hey there! sorry to say this but her basking spot should be at least 90 degrees. also are you just using a CHE for basking? if so, i would strongly recommend getting a basking bulb. that will also help with getting the temperature right. and what kind of bedding are you using?
tatianaaraclli
Newbie Poster

Postby JessPets » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:53 pm

tatianaaraclli wrote:hey there! sorry to say this but her basking spot should be at least 90 degrees. also are you just using a CHE for basking? if so, i would strongly recommend getting a basking bulb. that will also help with getting the temperature right. and what kind of bedding are you using?

90º is still too low. 95º-100º is perfect for an adult, while 105º-110º is appropriate for a baby- juvenile
[Click image to enlarge]
JessPets
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby ruben0311 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:50 pm

you can keep the heat emitter to add supplemental heat however you can really just use a household halogen light bulb for the basking light. get a higher powered bulb and use a tabletop dimming switch to regulate the intensity of the light and heat.
... Herp Herp... Herp-a-derp

1 male bearded (Fred), 18 inches approx. 11 months old
ruben0311
Juvie Poster

Return to Enclosures