Dragon wont eat, Constantly wanting out of his enclosure

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Dragon wont eat, Constantly wanting out of his enclosure

Postby Zh99f2008 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:20 am

My beardie is 10 months old, he's always lived in the same room in my old house his entire life. I've recently moved from New York to North Carolina and ever since we got to the new house he's been acting weird, the first 2 days he was fine and was eating, but now a week later he won't eat any dubia roaches (which are his favorite) and he always is tying to get out of his cage. When I do let him out it I let him run around my bedroom but it always seems like he looking for something. He scratches at the walls like he does in his cage. I thought maybe he wants to explore since it's new environment so i let him out to the rest of the house. He's a smart bugger to he knows what doors are and he'll stand in front of them and scratch at them until i open them. His cage temps are fine, basking area is 105F, UVB is fine as well. Seems like hes shedding on his tail but all the other times when he was full body shedding he would eat. I'm completely lost as what to do. He hasn't eaten a roach in about a week now, I forced down 3 grapes in the last day or two so that he at least has something in his stomach. He's also pooping normally, lately been pooping once a day.
Zh99f2008
Newbie Poster

Re: Dragon wont eat, Constantly wanting out of his enclosure

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:04 pm

Zh99f2008 wrote:My beardie is 10 months old, he's always lived in the same room in my old house his entire life. I've recently moved from New York to North Carolina and ever since we got to the new house he's been acting weird, the first 2 days he was fine and was eating, but now a week later he won't eat any dubia roaches (which are his favorite) and he always is tying to get out of his cage. When I do let him out it I let him run around my bedroom but it always seems like he looking for something. He scratches at the walls like he does in his cage. I thought maybe he wants to explore since it's new environment so i let him out to the rest of the house. He's a smart bugger to he knows what doors are and he'll stand in front of them and scratch at them until i open them. His cage temps are fine, basking area is 105F, UVB is fine as well. Seems like hes shedding on his tail but all the other times when he was full body shedding he would eat. I'm completely lost as what to do. He hasn't eaten a roach in about a week now, I forced down 3 grapes in the last day or two so that he at least has something in his stomach. He's also pooping normally, lately been pooping once a day.

Probably a combination of relocation stress, teenage hormones kicking in, and he is curious and wants out to explore.

Keep offering him is food, he'll likely settle down shortly, though the hormone overload might take a few months for him to work through.
CBDs: Puff ( RIP 10Dec2015 (3.2 years old (aneurism)) ,Rex (RIP 16Mar2017 at 4.6 yrs old (unexplained death)) , both adopted at 6wks old..Toothless & Peppa : (5 wks old 19dec2015).
Eastern BT Skinks : George & Mildred (born Sept 2010).
Eastern Water Skinks : Lucky (wild juvenile), rescued from a cat.Taken by a SI and far too soon, 9mths with us. RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles - (rescued injured), small lizard thought she was a big lizard, 7-8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016.)
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Return to Health