unsure about spot on tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

heartful

dark spot is fairly new, maybe 2 weeks tops, unsure if it is just shed skin that got stuck or if it's a bigger issue. it doesn't seem to bother him at all. have been giving him baths twice weekly to hopefully help if it is just skin trying to shed. the whiter parts below it fell off after the photo was taken today. any help/advice would be greatly appreciated

89569-141598471.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like probably just a stubborn/thick shed. You could try putting some plain aloe on it to help keep it moisturized. Hopefully it will break free soon on it's own. Keep a close eye on it and let me know if it appears to be expanding/spreading.

heartful

Original Poster
Definitely will do that, although i had picked up neosporin as well per reading through various other posts on forums. thank you for your reply, am hoping it is just a stubborn shed :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If it's a fungal issue you'll want to use some betadine or an antifungal cream like lamasil. if that's the case you'll likely see the area start to spread or look more like a wound. I think it's shed partly because of the color and partly because there are other scales further down on the tail that are also gray like they're ready to shed. Keep a close eye on it for now but it doesn't look alarming to me at the moment.

heartful

Original Poster
89569-6524757226.jpg

well there is an update, it shed on it's oown but it looks like an open wound to me, and on the underside of the shed that came off was a yellow bulb of i don't know what. i was hoping it was just stubborn shed but this has me more worried now :(

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, that does look like a wound. Any chance he could have gotten injured on something? Maybe bitten by a superworm? Might be a good idea to take it to the vet for an evaluation. They can do a scraping to test for a possible fungal issue. Until then keep it clean, some people recommend putting raw unpasteurized honey on wounds. I have never used it because it sounds like it would be a sticky mess. I use triple antibiotic ointment.

heartful

Original Poster
He won't touch worms so i don't buy them, as for getting injured on anything i don't think so, he runs around alot but that's it. Possibly a cricket that was left behind and hid that i did not see? I will keep it clean and see how it goes, the nearest vet is an hour or so away and i worry the long ride will stress him out :(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Choices for home treatment in order of effectiveness :
F10 Barrier Ointment on the injured / infected wound area
or
Betadiene on the wound area
or
Manuka Honey (medihoney) on the wound area

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
heartful":2s14ov8q said:
He won't touch worms so i don't buy them, as for getting injured on anything i don't think so, he runs around alot but that's it. Possibly a cricket that was left behind and hid that i did not see? I will keep it clean and see how it goes, the nearest vet is an hour or so away and i worry the long ride will stress him out :(

They can give their tails a really good thumping when moving about fast and when climbing over stuff in their tanks too. He could have knocked off some injured scales this way.

If it's infected or has been colonised by fungi, F10 Germicidal Barrier Ointment will help clear it up and help with healing.
http://www.f10products.co.uk/admin_uploads/files/The%20Facts-Issue%2017%20Sept%202016.pdf
A swab needs to be taken by the vet I think too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom