Gravid and/or impacted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtautges

Name: Flo
Sex: I assumed female up until last week based on internet info, but am unsure now.

I apologize in advance if this is super long, I just want to make sure I cover everything because it's kind of a weird situation.

Background info:
I am the lead caretaker of the animals in my university's bio lab (however I'm not a bio student), and I can't figure out what is wrong with our beardie Flo. Because I do not own her, I have to get permission for almost everything I do for her, which has delayed so much and is incredibly frustrating. We've had her for approx 3 years after her previous owner decided they didn't want her. She was doing quite well in the care of another student who took her home over the summer, and had grown quite a bit. After she came back in Sept. she went into brumation. When she came out mid Oct., she wouldn't eat. I knew she was way too cold (tank average was mid 80s), but the administration would not let me move her until I took her to a vet, who obviously told me she was too cold to digest food, so was not hungry. FINALLY, admin let me move her to a warmer room. Her current setup is a 55 gal. tank with slate substrate (changed from sand in Sept.), hides on warm and cool sides, branch to climb on, water and food dish, 100 and 150 watt ceramic heating bulbs and a UVB bulb (do not know what kind, was replaced during the summer). Basking temp is ~100, hot side 90, cool side 80. I know these should be higher, but admin will not let me change this currently.
I am able to take care of her M-F, but cannot get into the building on weekends. I'm trying to finish school at the same time. I have two others helping me who don't see her current situation as a problem.

The problem:
Flo has eaten a bit since she came out of brumation, and the vet gave me Critical Care to give her every day, and gave her fluids because she was dehydrated. She will only eat mealworms by herself. Since getting her temps up, she has been acting very normally. She was pooping semi-regularely up until 10 days ago. Since then, she's been getting warm baths almost every day, and on Tuesday I tried a bit of mineral oil in squash baby food. Nothing. Thursday I tried a bit more oil and a some prune baby food. Still nothing. Her stomach appears to be swollen, which makes me think she could be gravid, but I cannot tell for certain if she is actually a female (flashlight didn't reveal anything). She never exhibited increased appetite, but was very active and restless towards the end of Nov. Yesterday, I added a mixture of damp dirt and sand about 4 inches deep on the warm side of her cage, packed so she can dig in it. She didn't seem interested in it, and I won't be able to see her until Monday because the building is closed.

What should I do? She's definitely too thin, and it's been so long since she ate normally. I know that something isn't right, but can't figure out what:( I hate the idea that there's something I could've been doing for her but haven't, so please let me know what I can do. Also, let me know if there's any more info I can provide.

I will try to take her into the vet if I can, but do not have much money. I'm prepared to do whatever I can for her; I love her and would adopt her if I could. These next few weeks are crazy busy because it's the end of the semester, and I'm trying convince the administration to let me take her home over break, instead of leaving her for someone else to take care of.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Did the person that took her/him over the summer join this forum? We had a story about someone that did that in the past.
As for the basking temp, it is a tad bit low. Why do you feel the dragon is too thin? Is the tail weight good or is it sunken and boney? If possible post a picture so we can take a look. If its a female it could be gravid, diet diminishes a bit when gravid. However as you mentioned mealworms there is a possibility of an impaction. Mealworms are really not a good diet, too fatty and too hard to digest. So a belly can get obtunded if gravid or impacted. Is the dragon showing any other symptoms of illness? A bit more oil might help pass any obstruction. Obviously if the dragon appears ill a vet visit is warranted.
If your school is restricting proper care let us know. Many of us would write letters describing proper husbandry and why they need to allow it. I would be one that would be willing to do that.

mtautges

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply. The student taking care of Flo didn't have any problems over the summer and didn't post. Would you be able to send me a link to it, just in case there is info I can get from it?
The vet said she was underweight when I took her in. She appears to have gained weight, but has not eaten enough for that. She is acting normally, but has shown no interest in live food (except for the occasional mealworm) and even less in fruits and veggies. Her last mealworm was on Tuesday as far as I know, but I'll make sure to let everyone know not to feed them to her.
Tail doesn't feel very bony except for the very top where it intersects with her hips. What is ideal?
I have talked to the head of the dept and asked if they'd be willing for me to adopt her. I don't have a confirmation yet, and would not be able to take her in officially until June because of my housing situation and roommates.
Again, I appreciate the help. This is her on Friday, I'm sorry I don't have a better picture. http://imgur.com/a/sIi6G

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
You would probably be able to tell if tail weight was depleted of fat stores. It would be boney and have a rhomboid shape. So it sounds fine in that area. Dragons can be really stubborn about diets, they tend to get hooked on certain bugs and try not to eat anything else. Try weaning it off the mealworms and offer roaches or crickets. It might take a bit of time, but don't give up on it. We want you to have a very healthy dragon. Its good its not showing signs of illness, this could be early gravidity. But hard to know for sure because it can present as early brumation/gravidity/impaction...or something else entirely. A bit more oil won't hurt...I use either grape seed oil, olive oil, or mineral oil. Keep us posted :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aside from all the things Rankins mentioned, there may be a problem with proper lighting. First, are the heat bulbs actual ceramic heaters [ that produce heat but no light ] as you mentioned ? If so, the light level in the tank would be way too dim. Beardies need a bright white basking light.

Second, a 55 gallon tank is usually pretty tall and unless you have a really strong uvb bulb, she may not be getting much uvb . The lack of brightness + uvb will effect a beardie's behavior + appetite greatly. So if you can, find out what exact type + brand of uvb light is being used.

Good for you to try + help Flo, she looks really sweet and it's obvious that you want to help her. :)

mtautges

Original Poster
Flo did a massive poo over the weekend!! :D She was ravenous this morning. I'll be switching her to roaches and/or crickets, and will take a look at the UVB situation in the tank, and get a bright white basking light.

Thanks from Flo & I:)
89595-7989223902.jpg

Skipper7

Juvie Member
Glad to hear Flo is doing better. I would reccomend a t5 HO UVB tube mounted in the cage to be 12 inches from her.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Flo is a leatherback & actually looks pretty good. She has some nice colors to her!
I think the temperatures aren't too bad for basking, but what type of thermometer is being used?
A basking range is acceptable from 95-105 or even 100F for most adults. The cooler side needs to be 78-82 roughly.
I am glad she decided to go to the bathroom, I am sure she feels better!
Let us know how she is doing. It's great you are trying to help her so much. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom