New owner, need a little advice getting started

Status
Not open for further replies.

umdfb77

Hey everyone,

My wife and I are going to get a beardie for our 2 boys (6 and 4 yo) this Christmas. It is a reward and a surprise for the little guy being done with nighttime pullups. The chain Pet stores is where we are going to purchase from. I am getting a full setup from a friend at work who used to own one. She is giving me 3 tanks. The big one is 36x18, the middle is 30x12, and the small is a 10 gal 20x10. I've enclosed the images (if they work). I have owned snakes and monitors in the past (in college about 20 years ago) and I am in the middle of fact finding and research before we buy.

The advice I am looking for is:

1)Is there anything I should look for in choosing the bearded dragon?

2)What type of bulbs should I purchase with the housings I am being given? Spiral bulbs are currently in the double housing.

3)Should I get a flourescent fixture for the UVB lighting instead?

4)Will I have enough room to create the 2 zones of I set up the smaller starter tank?

5)The tank will be going in their bedroom. Any thoughts?

6)Any routines I need should set up right away?

7)Any other tips and/or tricks a more experienced beardie owner can give me before we move forward?

89555-9694603583.jpg
89555-7281407136.jpg

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
1) the usual health animal signs - active, clear eyes no discharge, no staying in the vent, not skiny or lethargic. If they will feed them so you can see it eat it's a good idea. I would also discourage buying from a chain store - there seem to be more health issues with these dragons than from smaller breeders.

2) household lamps are fine for basking. White only - no colors. You can use the fixture with the coils and regular bulbs (low wattage) or in UV cfl for more light.

3) get a T5HO florecent fixture and a Reptisun 10 or Arcadia 12% bulb. They are stronger and last longer.

4) i would just start with he largest tank. You've enough decor it shouldn't be too sparse and stressful and it's much easier to provide the heating zones + enrichment in a bigger setup.

6) dusting and gutloading the feeders should be a habit from the start. Offering water by dripping on the snout is also a good habit to get into.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....this will be exciting times for your boys [ and you :) ] Good advice from Taterbug.....start out with the large tank and just remove 1-2 of the climbing areas, leaving one on the warm side + one on the cool side for now. It keeps a fearful baby from hiding too much or from finding their food. I've raised many clutches and they do best to start out with only a few nice climbing items for the first couple of weeks.

And I think Tater meant to check that there are no stains [ she wrote " staying " ] on the rear end [ vent ] that could indicate diarrhea, although any baby could get a small smudge here or there or on a foot. If you are buying from a local store, see which stores have the healthiest babies consistently. Try to get the biggest, most alert one. If you end up buying from a breeder to have it shipped, don't wait until the Xmas week. There is a much greater volume of packages and it increases the chances of a package getting delayed....plus you'd need to check the weather for storms. Babies can survive being shipped by professional breeders even in very cold weather, but a storm can mean that planes + trucks can be delayed.

Be sure to have very small insects set up before you get the baby, they need lots + lots of food, hundreds of bugs every 2 weeks on average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom