Entertainment/Stimulation for beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, just wondering... what do you do to entertain or stimulate your beardie? My Scarlett is a bit on the lazy side, and I sometimes worry the lack of stimulation makes her a bit apathetic. I know she's not exactly a dog, but I still expect she'd enjoy some sort of play/exploration/entertainment?

While I do try to let her at least once a day, I can't really keep her out for long. We live in an old Victorian tenement in Scotland - wooden floor, drafty windows, lots of dangerous nooks and crannies where she might get lost. I always worry about her crawling into a gap somewhere where I won't be able to reach her. And with winter coming, it's also rather cold. Me and the husband survive by keeping the fire on and wrapping up in blankets, but obviously that's not really helpful when it comes to Scarlett. When I do let her out, she explores for about 5-10 min, then she comes back to me and wants to go home because she's freezing.

So... what can I do to keep her entertain and stimulated? Any and all ideas are appreciated.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You can set up a basking light in the living room, that would give her a place to warm up and continue her playtime.
They say they like to watch TV as well, I know that they are curious critters and like watching things move and they like to explore.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
I let my girl out to run around and explore. I have a basking light setup for when she's out so I can monitor her.

I tried giving her a ball and playing catch but that didn't work :p She just gave me the stink eye

Mine loves to look out the window and watch the world go by. They are curious little things so that is always something they love. I've seen some great cat scratching posts repurposed as beardie tower/pedestals so they can watch stuff.

lots of branches and places to climb would also be good.

Aetherling

Original Poster
I guess my problem is that I worry a lot when I let her out. I worry that she'll run under sofa and I won't be able to reach her to get her out again, or that she'll get stuck in a gap in the wall or climb up high and fall down, or.... basically I worry about everything.

While I've heard that beardie's are good climbers, I have also heard that I need to be careful as they may fall and break something.

My house really isn't beardie-proof at all :(

She enjoys the living room, but that's also the most "dangerous room" as it has lots of nooks and crannies, the fire is really hot, the sofa's are high if she falls, and heavy to lift if she goes under them. The other rooms are emptier, but she doesn't care so much for them.

How worried should I be? Should I let her climb freely and just trust that she knows how to keep herself safe? Or should I prevent her from climbing up on the sofas? If your beardies crawl in under something, can they be tempted to come back out again? Or do you have to lift furniture to get them out?

Anyways, sorry for all the questions. I am probably just being that overly paranoid, over-protective mum that everyone hates.... xD Thanks for the suggestions as well, you guys are great.

Aetherling

Original Poster
Oh, and she definitely likes the telly! Big-busted anime chicks especially, to my husbands great delight :roll: But she'll watch the Great British Bake Off as well, so it's cool.

mimiwatson

What I do is when I am alone, I let my beardie walk around the house by leach, and I also let him watch movies with me. He loves to stare out windows and jump of of climb up my couch. I also communicate to him through signals. I have a signal for good boy, bad boy, stay, go, eat, poop, sorry, I love you, calm down, and cheer up. He responds to them well. Also, if you are wondering when they poop I have a list of signs in order.
1) Starts running around a lot
2) His butt begins to grow in size
3) He starts to smell bad
4) Stops moving
5) Shakes butt
6) Poops :puke:
I hope this was useful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom