Parasites - ID Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jestech

Over the past several weeks I've noticed my 10 month old beardie being a bit lethargic, and not as interested in food as he was previously. I decided to do a fecal-float to check for parasites. The Coccidia count looks low, but it appears he has either pinworms or whipworms. I wanted to post pics to get some opinions from the resident expert here. Sorry about the quality. My microscope program wasn't cooperating so I had to take a pic of the screen with my phone. What do you think?
73954-2138776421.jpg
73954-427500178.jpg

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Both resemble each other a great deal. One difference I believe is whipworm will have "caps" on the ends that pinworm eggs lack. For this reason I believe this is a case of pinworms. Though I am not the most experienced (just a biology fanatic lol) so it would be best to get a second opinion.

Jestech

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. Pinworms was my first thought as well and there were many of them on the slide, so looks like I'll need to get him some Panacur.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It looks like pinworms to me too, but that's just comparing to a comparison chart I have from BeautifulDragons. Panacur is pretty mild so it shouldn't hurt to start with that and go from there.

Jestech

Original Poster
Thanks CooperDragon, that's pretty much how I ID'd them as well. :D
I'd like to make sure I'm killing the spores in the enclosure to limit the chance of re-infection. I know F10 SC is a very popular disinfectant, but I don't believe it's effective against pinworm eggs. Anyone have any experience with the disinfectant Virkon S?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't used that one. When I'm trying to disinfect against coccidia I used a steam cleaner. The heat should take care of just about anything and it doesn't leave any (potentially) harmful residue.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I third the pinworm diagnosis and Panacur is the med. to treat it. Panacur is pretty mild on the dragon's system ,too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom