Baby beardie VERY lethargic, not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
I replied this morning but it didn't post Grrr! I'm really really glad he's doing better! Praying all stays on the mend.... Send us more pics as you are able ;)

MeganWise26

Original Poster
I will take some pics in the morning- he's content in his tank. He has been walking around and even puffing out his beard when I go to pick him up from the tank. He's been basking and less lethargic as the day has progressed. He just finished .5mL of a slurry made from butternut baby food, gourmet reptile food powder, and calcium + vitamin D. He refused the reptaid (spit it out) and a friend suggested the food powder. He loves it! I'm not sure when to reintroduce salads and crickets. A few days?

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh I am so glad to hear that, I was so hoping for good news. Offer him food a couple times a day or more, see if he'll eat. Keep him on this until he has enough energy to zip around, it could take a couple of weeks. For Imp, it took a month before he was interested in bugs, then he ate so many it was hard to keep them in the house :mrgreen:

I'll keep checking for updates. Use the pedialyte for his baths, you'll see a difference in a few days, between that and the food and the love. :D

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Bin doing a celebratory boogie dance!!!

I personally would offer him very finely chopped salad daily. And small crickets or small dubias once or twice a day. He will eat or not. The dubias are much easier for him to eat if he's not quick yet :) remember to dust with calcium powder :). Look forward to the pics ;) and just so so happy for you AND baby xx

MeganWise26

Original Poster
Quick update- he FINALLY pooped this morning. Not much, so I assume all he's eaten in the last week is what I syringe fed him! He also attempted to catch a fly last night... too bad that fly was outside the tank, lol. I put two crickets in his tank, no interest after 20 minutes so I removed them. He's still syringe feeding and will try a salad this evening. He's 150% better, even if not totally okay yet.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Oh, I'm delighted that he's doing so well. Hope he'll eat some salad, it will help his gut. And do you have probiotics? Very important when a baby is recovering. Puts the good flora back into the gut to help him digest his food. I get Reptophilus from Tracie at www.bug-de-lite.com and it's been very effective. If you can get Benebac in a pet shop, it's a gel you put on their mouth so they'll lick it up, it's also really good. Gabriel used that when I first rescued him in 2012. So if you get the liquid, just a cpl ml from a syringe. Imp just licks it down.

I'm so glad to be hearing such great news from your little one :love5:

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Megan he looks lots better!! I think I even see a bit of tummy lol. He's a a lucky little one to have landed with you and yr doing such an amazing job getting him back to healthy!!! I say HE... But could be a girl lol. Really really happy news hon
Huggles!

MeganWise26

Original Poster
Hey guys, just wanted to give another quick update. He's moving around like crazy and swimming in baths!! Only problem is that u has zero interest in crickets or salads. He'll taste strawberries, kale, guava, etc if I put it to his lip but won't eat it. He syringe feeds fine and is spoiled rotten already! He seems to like being handled except for when I pick him up- he puffs out and my kids think it's amazing how large he makes himself!!! And we'll worry about whether or not he's a he later ;) until I can tell, he's a he! Lol

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
He's just not ready for bugs yet, like I said, Imp took a month of feedings before he'd even look at a bug. He then ate really well from 4 months until 7 mo and now he's a year old and still being hand-fed bugs and greens. It's weird how they decide if they'll eat or not. Have you thought of getting different bugs than crickets? If you live in the States, you can get small super worms, Imp loved those for awhile. What he eats mainly is roaches. They're so good for dragons, better than crickets, easy to raise and take care of (I have 2 colonies, 1 in a 10 gallon tank and 1 in a 20 gallon tank. I have food enough for all my dragons, I just buy super worms.)

But don't get down about the non eating part. You'd be amazed that in a while he'll be eating bugs like crazy. I'm so glad he's so active, means he's doing well with what you're giving him!

MeganWise26

Original Poster
I also have wax worms. I have my dad the wax worms and crickets for his beardie because I don't want them I die and go to waste. We'll continue to syringe and offer salads until he's ready. If nothing else, it's bonding time. I've waited 10 long years to be a reptile mama again, can't fast forward the baby stage! He seems truly content sitting on my thumb, lapping from the syringe.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Awww, that's how I used to feed the babies I had years ago. No rush for him, they eat bugs when they're ready. Nothing to be done until he's ready.
Are you feeding him the mix recipe I sent you? Imp loved that stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom