Baby Dragon Ares Not Eating Like He Should!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my new baby beardie Ares is not eating like he should. His is about 7 inches. I have only had him since Oct 18 but his appetite hasn't ever been what it should. The most dubia roaches he has eaten was about 15 in one day, but that was it, I had offered food 2 more times that day and he wasn't interested at all after the first meal. Most days he only eats around 10 roaches. His tank set up is super simple. My temps and humidity are where they should be. Basking temp at or around 110F, cool side varies from 80-85F. Humidity is around 40-50%. I get these measurements with an Accurite digital thermometer and double checked with a temp gun. His set up includes a basking rock/hide with newspaper flooring. I have white paper on the 3 sides of the tank to reduce environmental stress. My cat and small dog both reside in the same room about the same height as his tank, but completely ignore him, he does have view of them how ever. His UVB light is 8 inches away from basking spot, It is the Zilla Desert 50 T8 (I know this is wrong, I currently have a ReptiSun 10.0 T8 on the way from Amazon). When he does eat I try to dust about half the roaches with Reptical. He doesn't touch his Turnip Greens or Butternut/Yellow squash that I have diced finely and put in his tank, at least not that I have ever noticed. He has had the black stress lines on his belly since I got him. He also glass surfs from time to time. He comes out regularly around midday to soak and go poop. He is defecating daily in this water dish and I immediately take him out to clean the bowl and get him soaking for a little bit more. Its also during this time (before he poops that is) that he will get drinks of water, either by me putting drops on his nose or drinking on his own accord. I can get a picture of his poop if requested.
I need help in trying to figure out why my little dragon doesn't have the appetite that he should
As a side note I got him Dachiu Dragons, they were amazing to work with and he is very beautiful!!
http://imgur.com/a/tjX5S
http://imgur.com/a/iYAJX
Links for pics.
Help is much appreciated.

Also the UVB bulb is mounted inside his cage, not sitting on the screen.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Give him time, it's only been 5 days, it can take weeks for them to adjust to a new home. Just keep an eye on him. I think he will come around.

AresRoachDestroyer

Original Poster
Would it be to stressful for him if I move him to a larger tank that is much nicer? Should I just keep him in the small tank for now?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
He is already stressed, I wouldn't add to it right now. Wait a while (month or so) before you make 5he move.
But make sure you put his favorite basking spot in the new one when you do, this makes it easier for the transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom