Possible impaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past couple days, Ripley has been acting very strange. Usually she's very active. However as of late, she sort of drags her back legs, in fact hasn't used her back legs in around 24-36 hours now. She'll drag herself up on the log, and I've noticed her struggling to stay on sometimes. She pooped a little over two days ago but she usually poops aboit 2 times a day or more. She's still eating some, last night she enjoyed a bunch of crickets. But when I give her warm baths, it won't stimulate poop anymore. I've also seen her nearly flip all the way over on accident in the water because she won't use her back legs to stay up. She gets calcium at the proper time, and if I touch her back legs she pulls them away from me so they're not paralyzed.

She has a regular AstroTurf carpet with no fabric or sand or fiber to accidentally swallow.

Can anyone give me some advice. I'm about ready to take her to the vet but I wanted a second opinion as my mother just thinks I'm worrying too much

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Can you please tell us about your setup?
Lighting
Heat
Size of viv
Age of dragon

Could just be an adjustment

Salivaplath

Original Poster
Ripley is in a 40 gallon breeder, she's about 4 months, her temp gradient is about 105 on the basking log and between 85-95 everywhere else. Her humidity is between 15 and 28% depending on where in the tank and the time of day, she has a 100w zoomed bulb for basking, a 100w Che at night, and a reptisun up tube as well.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor girl....Also important, what size is she ? A 4 month old can be as small as 10-11" or as large as 17-18" in some cases. The size of the crickets will be helpful, too. If they are too big they can cause impaction. Hopefully we can help [ or a vet ] to get ripley back to good health, or at least keep from getting worse.

Salivaplath

Original Poster
Well she's 4 months but lengthwise she's about 13 inches as I measured her last night. She eats large crickets but they're really no larger than the space between her eyes. She does devour them along with her collared greens and wax worms. She eats a lot. And I chalked her lack of using the back legs to her just being lazy but its been about 3 days or so that I noticed her dragging them more and more. However like I said earlier if I touch them she does pull them away so she can use them. She's just not really wanting to and it's caused her to need help getting up on her basking log. Apart from that she doesn't show any other real signs of lethargy. And she's very alert

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
What kind of uvb bulb are you using? I saw the zoomed 100watt but is it a uvb also? Without uvb they can developed some major issues. The coil uvb bulbs are bad for their eyes and don't produce the proper uvb for beardies.
They like it cool (65 to 75) when they sleep. You don't have to run the CHE unless your house Temps get below 60 to 65 at night.

Salivaplath

Original Poster
i recently purchased a reptisun 10.0 tube and command stripped it to the wall of my tanks so Ripley can get all of the uvb possible. It's an 18 inch. And i really only use the CHE when I leave the window open because it is getting pretty chilly at night now. She recently started up on large crickets a few weeks ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom