Not thriving

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHood

Hello! I'm looking for some advice. I have a baby I got from PetCo on August 2nd. I have no idea how old he actually was, but they said two months. He had feeding issues from the start. For a bit we couldn't get him to eat crickets. Then we got some roaches and he seemed fine with them for a bit. Then he hurt his right arm and stopped using that for a few days. We took him to the vet, who couldn't do anything because he's so small (they gave us liquid calcium). He's always eaten something (not much) and never had issues pooping. He started using the arm again, but I don't think it's fully functional.

Right now, he seems to be eating better. He eats 2-3 times a day and we dust his crickets. But I had to get a 2.5 gal aquarium to put into his habitat to feed him in because he wont chase food. The first time I weighed him about 2 weeks ago, he weighed 18g. Today he weighs 23g. So he's gaining weight, eating, and pooping fine. He seems lethargic. Head's down more often than not, but he's not sleeping. Just kind of moaping there. Reminds me of Eeyore. He spends a lot of time like this.

88695-7290018690.jpg
He's not always like this, but most of the time he is.

88695-6206231410.jpg
This is him moving around. He doesn't seem to be up off his belly much.

88695-1512304112.jpg
How he is fed.

My problem is he is tiny. I see pictures of other beardies that claim to be 3-4 months old and they are huge in comparison. I have tried everything I can think of and he just doesn't seem to grow (I know he is, but he still seems really small). Anything else I can try? I'm at a loss for what else I can do for him.

88695-4932648139.jpg

His aquarium is 40 gal. He has a 24" t8 UVB and a 100W basking bulb. Basking temp is around 110 and cool temp is 75-78. Carpet substrate. I try giving him roaches but he mostly eats crickets. He doesn't eat veggies.

88695-1381801055.jpg
It's the basic set up, only we changed out the lights and put the smaller tank inside there to feed him in.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Hmm it sounds like your set up is good. Is he able to get within 6-8 inches of the uvb? What brand/type of uvb are you using. He sounds soooo small. I just weighed my 4 week old and she is 23g :( Something is definitely going on. It might be the uvb or distance from it or there is something wrong with him medically. Did the vet do a fecal test for parasites? He should be getting calcium 5x week/1 meal and vitamins 2x week/1 meal. How often are you doing the liquid calcium?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Is the uvb mounted in the tank? Does it have any plastic over it? Also 110 might be a little too hot for him. Maybe shoot for a 105. Also the hammock you are using can cause him to get a nail stuck in it and cause injuries to their arms and hands.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He had a rough start, some pet store beardies don't get much food while at the store, then relocation stress going to his new home. Then he hurt his leg [ I agree to get rid of the hammock ] which could affect his appetite. Just answer all the Q's about his type + brand of lights and see if there's any need to adjust them. Other than that, you say he's eating better now so just give it some time. It doesn't help to compare him to other dragons, every dragon is different and he's had a few little bumps in the road but hopefully will begin to do better. :)

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thanks for answering. The uvb light you have is a good one. I use it too, but you do need to mount it inside 6 to 8 inches from him so he can get the most benefits from it. Placing it on the screen on top is blocking alot of the rays. I use command hooks for mine and it works well.

JHood

Original Poster
I reconfigured the top of his cage yesterday. The screen is split into two pieces. I basically moved the back one into the middle and placed the hood over the opening in the back (my work around for the hood since I can't figure out how to mount it inside due to its size)

I brought him home August 2nd. Was told he was 2 months old, but I'm not sure I believe it.

I gathered some numbers. We took him to the vet on Sep 1. They said he was .5 ounces. That comes out to 14 g.
On 20 Sep I bought a scale and he weighed 18 g.
Today (5 Oct) he weighs 25 g.

He should weigh more than that right?

We are going to get another fecal done as soon as he poops.

What am I missing?

JHood

Original Poster
Update:

After getting a poop sample (he pooped on my ON my birthday, such a nice present) I ran it to the vet. They gave us meds for coccidia and gaurdia. Gave him those as directed. He is doing MUCH better, chasing food a bit, eating more, doesn't look like he's dying all the time. How ever, now I've noticed something quite alarming to me. I think he has MBD. It would be understandable because he basically stopped eating for awhile. I have noted a VERY slight tremor on his fingers. It doesn't happen all the time, and it's really hard to see, but it's there. I have a video, but I don't know if there's a way to post it. He also has very jerky movements when he goes after food. It's like watching a baby learn to walk. It seems to come and go though. I will upload some pictures of his arms too. They concern me.

I did switch out his T8 for a T5 as well. And got him some BSFL. I try to make those breakfast for him.
Right now we are soaking up some natural sunlight as I heard that's really good for dragons with MBD.

88695-5788150951.jpg
88695-2115720543.jpg
88695-6934360703.jpg

88695-9046730417.jpg
88695-5464830440.jpg

Thoughts or suggestions (other than the vet! Already in the works)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I am seeing this on my phone and its small but is that a glass top on his viv? Uvb can not get through glass, it filters it out. It will also cause humidity problems.

JHood

Original Poster
Not a glass top, it was kind of like a window screen. That one has been replaced to one that is all wire with bigger openings because the original one fell in the viv. There is no chance of the new one falling in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom