New beardie mama worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetB

Hi!

I acquired an approximately 3yr old bearded dragon just over two weeks ago. Upon taking him home, I quickly realized it was more of a rescue than just a re-home. He was not getting proper heat/UVB lighting with his previous owners, lived in sand substrate, was only being fed crickets/apples and carrots (no greens), and the calcium and supplements he was being given were all expired over a year. He was also only housed in a 20 gal tank, and he's approximately 18" long. I corrected the husbandry---now in a 40 gal wide tank, basking bulb 60w + I also have two LED flood type lights, and a Reptisun 10.0 bulb (all in a timer for 12hrs/day), fed fresh collard and dandelion greens daily and I've been rotating through other fruit/veg as a topping to his salad as well (mango, spaghetti squash, green beans, papaya, and the occasional strawberry/carrot or apple). He gets live feed 3x a week, mostly crickets, Phoenix worms and hornworms with the occasional treat of butter worms or a super worm. The substrate is now a mixture of green AstroTurf type material and cabinet liner. He has a log hide on the cool side where I put his food and a shallow water dish, and a large branch and rock on the hot side for basking. 3 sides of the tank are covered.

When I brought him home he was shedding a piece of his tail; there was no issue with the shed, it detached fine.

About 4 days ago I noticed his head, a large portion of his upper back, his front right leg and his back left leg are all dull and greyish-white. I assume he is going to start shedding in these areas, but it doesn't look like any of the dull skin is actually starting to come off yet. I've been misting him at least 1x a day, and since bringing him home he's been given a 10-15 min soak 2x (I didn't want to over-handle him or scare him with the recent transitions he's. Even through, which is why only 2 baths to date). He's still a little skittish with being handled, but the last bath he got a few days ago, I kept him in a blanket on my tummy for about 20 min and he seemed to enjoy that :) He snuggled down and closed his eyes while I pet his head and back, and wasn't trying to "escape".

My concern: The discolored skin patches I mentioned above. I've never had a BD before and don't really know what to expect during the shed process in terms of time it takes to complete. I've read at least 2 dozen shedding related articles and posts but I'm still not even entirely sure if this is what is happening with him right now. I just know he doesn't look like the same dragon I brought home 2 weeks ago and I'm a little worried as a new BD mama. I also notice "stress marks" on his belly, sometimes more noticeable than others and usually in the morning--so I was thinking he is just cold from the night and needs to warm up). It doesn't get below 73F in my house at night.

I should also mention that he refused to eat any greens for the first 4-5 days and seemed to only want to be hand-fed; but now he will eat from his dish and seems to enjoy the salad every morning and early evening. He never finishes it though. He eats live food no problem, although crickets are sometimes hard for him to catch (he's sometimes a little slow on the draw when trying to grab them and they bounce off). He also mostly stays on the hot side all day basking and doesn't move around his enclosure a whole lot (unless there is live food). Temps on the hot side are 103-105F at the basking spot, and 82F on the cool side. First few days home his poop was runny (expected) but that has since changed and he goes every other day; urates also looks fine.

Am I being overly paranoid that something is wrong with him? I have an appt with a herp vet next week to have a full exam and fecal done, but in the meantime....Thoughts? I'm trying to do everything right and provide this guy a wonderful new home/life, but I'm definitely feeling the new BD parent confusion.

Here are some pics to show the before (day I brought him home) compared to the last 4 days. Mind the mango stuck to Attila's face :) he's a messy eater!

First day home (in same enclosure he was living in--I moved him to his new tank on day 2 or 3):
88622-5842507910.jpg
88622-3537589684.jpg
Sleeping dragon :)
88622-332814302.jpg

Last 4 days:
88622-5225401027.jpg
88622-4433265720.jpg
88622-3498735381.jpg
88622-1354417769.jpg

Thanks for taking a look, and any input you have is welcomed.

Amanda

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The dull areas look like normal shed patches. They tend to shed in pieces like that as they get older. It will be an arm one day and part of his face another day. The shed cycles can take more time to complete than with a small dragon too.

SweetB

Original Poster
Thanks :) I was thinking the same thing, but really had no idea how long from the point the skin goes dull to when it actually starts coming off. There's still been no change with Attila at this point; legs, head and back are are still dull grey-white but nothing has started to peel off.

SweetB

Original Poster
...finally staring to shed on his head (around his eyes). Looks like some beautiful citrus/orange colors coming through. Can't wait to see what he's going to look like when it's all said and done :)

88622-787268412.jpg

SweetB

Original Poster
For sure! (and me too, lol) He's been through a lot in the past 2 months...going from his original owners, to a 2nd family, and then to me. Despite his current demeanor from shedding, I've definitely been seeing his personality shining through lately :) I bet he's as anxious as I am to eventually be able to settle down and just be comfortable. Here's hoping his shed goes quickly and smoothly!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's very rewarding. Especially when it works out well. I'm so glad he finally has a happy home. They all deserve that.

SweetB

Original Poster
My son and I are super excited and happy to have him :)
I think Attila will be a happy camper...eventually LOL

[ximg]88622 6705902288[/ximg]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom