Sleeping Often + Not Eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

EStarstruck

Hello! My name is Maxie and this is my first beardie + first reptile in general. I've been doing lots of research + googling any time there's a problem but this one is quite vague. :/ I've heard its brumation but she's also really young. (Not sure how old she is actually.) Anyway, I've had her for about a week now and she was a bit skittish the first day but otherwise up until now she's been super friendly, eating from my hand, letting me pet her, enjoying her baths etc. (She went through a biiig shed yesterday + day before so she needed a good bath). But she's not eating and she's very lethargic + sleepy and kinda droopy and almost flat. Her tank temps are 100 on the hot side and 80-75 on the cool side. I have those crummy stick-on thermometers but I ordered a temp gun so that should be here soon. Here's some pictures of her. (Her name is Terezi)
And hopefully I can get some critique on her tank. I know its empty atm, we're workin' on that.
(right click + open in new tab to see a higher rez)

MMI3Z4O.jpg

(the paper is there because she sees herself in the glass and gets distracted from her food)
EQoa5eV.jpg

and here was her a few days ago all happy
ly2mPlV.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. ;-; thank you! And maybe one of you could tell me how old she is....

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Hello, at her age you want to get basking temps to 105-110 but I guess you will have to wait for that temp gun to be sure. What uvb are you using? It looks like a compact or coil. Most will tell you that the reptisun or arcadia tubes are better. You didn't mention these other things so I will go over them. She should be getting calcium dusted on her food 5x week/1 meal and vitamins 2x week 1 meal. She should be able to get within 6-8 inches of the uvb unless you get one of the stronger bulbs. Make sure no glass or plastic is over the uvb. You could put a tree or other higher climbing object so she can get closer. Try giving her water every couple days, drip some on her nose. It's hard to know how old she is... maybe 6-8 weeks depending how she was cared for. They don't brumate at that age. If it's around 70+ outside can you take her outside for 30 min or so? The real sun is far better than any uvb. What are you feeding her? She should be eating as much live food as she can within 15 minutes 2-3x a day, 3 if your schedule allows. If you feed ones that can stay in a bowl I would leave them out all day.

EStarstruck

Original Poster
kyleena29":1wz4y4ya said:
Hello, at her age you want to get basking temps to 105-110 but I guess you will have to wait for that temp gun to be sure. What uvb are you using? It looks like a compact or coil. Most will tell you that the reptisun or arcadia tubes are better. You didn't mention these other things so I will go over them. She should be getting calcium dusted on her food 5x week/1 meal and vitamins 2x week 1 meal. She should be able to get within 6-8 inches of the uvb unless you get one of the stronger bulbs. Make sure no glass or plastic is over the uvb. You could put a tree or other higher climbing object so she can get closer. Try giving her water every couple days, drip some on her nose. It's hard to know how old she is... maybe 6-8 weeks depending how she was cared for. They don't brumate at that age. If it's around 70+ outside can you take her outside for 30 min or so? The real sun is far better than any uvb. What are you feeding her? She should be eating as much live food as she can within 15 minutes 2-3x a day, 3 if your schedule allows. If you feed ones that can stay in a bowl I would leave them out all day.

She gets her calcium and is fed regularly. I have a small, shallow bowl of water in her tank. I'll go buy her a new climbing tree. I believe the UVB light in the hood is actually the one this forum suggests. The the objects in the tank minus the rock she lays on, the small plant, and the carpet, are from this kit here.

I do drop some water on her nose and she drinks it. She drinks a lot when I give her a bath. I know she was cared for well because I work at the store I got her from and we take really good care of the animals (not just saying that because I work there :lol: ). When I feed her crickets she usually eats about 5-8. And the top of the cage is a metal screen.

It seems like she just might be tired because of the lack of heat and such. Thank you so much for your quick and kind response! (I'm also getting a tank background instead of the paper so it looks nicer.)

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Well we can't forget that it's only been a week, I would get more concerned after another week. Sounds like you have things in order aside from the temp. If she does get worse or is not improved after another week I would get a fecal check done.

I also want to add, does she have any kind of night light on? If so it could be disturbing her sleep.

EStarstruck

Original Poster
kyleena29":2iamxz56 said:
Well we can't forget that it's only been a week, I would get more concerned after another week. Sounds like you have things in order aside from the temp. If she does get worse or is not improved after another week I would get a fecal check done.

I also want to add, does she have any kind of night light on? If so it could be disturbing her sleep.

Thank you! She did at first but then I read that she shouldn't so about two days ago I started turning the red light off at night. Should I have both the red lamp and the heat lamp on during the day?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I wouldn't use a red lamp at all. You would probably feel weird in a room lit with red light all day too. They prefer bright light anyways. Night time temps are fine above 65. It's possible her sleep was disturbed with the red light. I would just see if she improves in a week.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
She'd probably like some jungle type foliage as well if you can get it. They like to hide from predators at this age so vines and leaves would give her/him lots of hidey spots to feel safe.

EStarstruck

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":jplad06y said:
She'd probably like some jungle type foliage as well if you can get it. They like to hide from predators at this age so vines and leaves would give her/him lots of hidey spots to feel safe.
kyleena29":jplad06y said:
I wouldn't use a red lamp at all. You would probably feel weird in a room lit with red light all day too. They prefer bright light anyways. Night time temps are fine above 65. It's possible her sleep was disturbed with the red light. I would just see if she improves in a week.
I got a nice tall log she can climb on and a hammock! I'll get the jungle stuff soon. And I'll stop using the red lamp at night. Thank you guys so much. I also got her some waxworms. Maybe she will wanna eat them.

EStarstruck

Original Poster
kyleena29":2ionpxks said:
pictures!?
mBeIskU.jpg

9xPg0sS.jpg

my store didnt have any tank backgrounds that fit the size of the tank so we still have that pokemon wallpaper goin' on. She doesn't seem to mind so its not a big deal. But in the places where there ISNT paper she gets distracted by her reflection and wont eat. She keeps hiding under her log and staring at herself in the glass so I'll put some paper there and see of she keeps it up. I can't tell if she's hiding there or if she's freaked out by her reflection.

Today she ate 2 crickets and 3 small pieces of banana. I gave her a small bath but she didn't drink anything and wanted out pretty quickly.

Also her hidey rock is against the back of the tank now, picture is slightly wrong :roll:

EStarstruck

Original Poster
bI3aR2g.jpg

that takes care of that

Edit: now she's trying to climb up to the top of the tank and like onto the lid which is close to the light. she's being really weird.

EStarstruck

Original Poster
update: she has decided to forfeit crickets. the remaining living ones have been donated to my cat who likes playing with them. she's doing better with the log and she likes the hammock!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom