Hiding/Lazy, Should I be Concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilentMcF

Alright, So my Cora has been hiding in her cave for long periods of time in the past week and a half or so. Cora is 6 months old so I know it can't be Brumating (Or can it?). She's not exactly sleeping, just watching out of her cave. I've had her for 4 months now and she's never really been the shy type, but all of a sudden she's hiding almost all day, I make her come out for a little while during the day and her appetite hasn't changed a bit, she's still getting those crickets down as fast as she can :lol: . So any ideas?
Her basking temp is right around 93 Fahrenheit. (is that too cold? If so how would I up the heat?)
I feed her a salad of Collard Greens every day and then crickets in the afternoon.
Her enclosure is in my room, so it's not overly active in here, so i can't think of anything spooking her.

Thank you for your time and thoughts!

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
At 6 months old, her basking temp should be 100-105º at least. You can get a higher wattage bulb and a dimmer so you can the right temps. What wattage are you using now? Also, what UV are you using? Lack of UV can cause lack of energy.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
at 6 months you should be doing 2 feedings of protein. Keep the salad in her tank for her to munch on but add in an extra feeding of crickets. As much as she can eat in a 10-15 minute period.

You should have a basking spot of 100-110 for babies and a cool side between 75-80 (it can be as low as 70 or mid 60s at night). To get that up you can either raise the area of the baskign spot so it's closer to your uv/heat light. The uv should be 6-8" away from the basking spot if it's a t8, and 10-12" if it's a t5 (different sizes/outputs of flourescent lights).

If you can't get the basking higher by raising the baskign platform you can get a household incandescant light and a light dome or fixture (cheap from walmart, home depot type places) and see if you can get it within the range.

I'd also suggest a timer so you can set the lights to go on and off at a consistent time. They need the routine as it simulates sunlight.

SilentMcF

Original Poster
Thank you for getting back to me!

I have a 100 watt ZooMed Bulb For heat and a Zilla 18" 50 UVB slimline fixture, Both of these are sitting on top of the screen of the vivarium and she can get within 11-10 inches from them.
I'll start looking for a way to get her closer to her lights.
I've already got her lights on a timer, going on at 7:00 am and off at 9:00 pm (was 9:30 but she was already asleep by this time so i lowered it a little.)
Would the lights explain why she's hiding more then?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The ZooMed bulb should be handling heat. I wouldn't put that closer than about 12'' so you may need a higher wattage bulb either on a dimmer or an adjustable lamp stand to change the height to get the appropriate temperature gradient across the tank.

The Zilla Desert 50 has an optimal UVB output at about 6'' so I would mount that inside the tank so it's 6-8'' above the highest basking spot for best results. Also, if the fixture it's in has a clear plastic cover over the bulb it needs to be removed. The plastic will intercept all of the UVB. If you want to provide UVB from a further distance, I would switch to a T5 bulb and fixture which will provide plenty of UVB from 12-14'' above the highest basking spot. I use this one http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using? Some thermometers can be very inaccurate. Also, what size is the tank?

Phurba390

Any time I see a beardy hiding a lot I always get a fecal exam done. There are many reasons why they may hang out in a hide or on the cool side but one reason is they may be sick. Always rule that out first because reptiles often don't show symptoms of illness since it makes them vulnerable. Lethargy is the most common symptom of infection.

SilentMcF

Original Poster
diamc":293t6qvj said:
Could you fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using? Some thermometers can be very inaccurate. Also, what size is the tank?

I used a meat thermometer because that's what I had available and i left it on her basking spot for about 10 min. The tank is a 40 gallon.

Phurba390":293t6qvj said:
Any time I see a beardy hiding a lot I always get a fecal exam done. There are many reasons why they may hang out in a hide or on the cool side but one reason is they may be sick. Always rule that out first because reptiles often don't show symptoms of illness since it makes them vulnerable. Lethargy is the most common symptom of infection.

Okay, I'll try and rack up enough money to take her to a vet for a fecal exam and checkup. Any idea of how much that usually costs? (I'm pretty new to the whole reptile thing.)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You may want to pick up an IR temp gun just so you can get quick, accurate readings. Something like this should do nicely https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK

Vet prices vary quite a bit depending on where you are. It's best to call ahead and see if there is a vet who is experienced with bearded dragons and to ask how much an exam and fecal test is. An exam at my vet is $41 and a fecal test is $28. A fecal test sent to a lab is $48. I'm told these prices are relatively low compared to prices in big cities.

SilentMcF

Original Poster
I'll try and get a IR temp gun soon, they sound much better than waiting around 10 min for the results!
Thank you for the information, I'll call ahead to a vet nearby if i can find one who does reptiles and try and figure it out.

An exam at my vet is $41 and a fecal test is $28. A fecal test sent to a lab is $48. I'm told these prices are relatively low compared to prices in big cities.

Your vet charges for fecal? Mine doesn't charge for fecals if you are a regular client. Do most vets charge for them?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think it's common for them to charge for any kind of tests that require extra equipment and time beyond a standard examination. The amount varies quite a bit from what I've seen. That's a nice perk that your vet offers for regular clients!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom