High humidity??? How to reduce it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!
So my 40 gallon tank has had some super high humidity lately.... At night when the lights go off, the humidity raises to around 70% humid! And throughout the day, it stays about 50-60% humidity. The temperature ranges from around 80-86 degrees F on the cooler sides, and the basking site is about 105-111 degrees F. I'm using a digital thermometer and hydrometer to keep track of degrees.

I've seen a bunch of posts saying that if you have a fan, it'll bring the temperature down...However... I've had the fan on for about an hour and a half and the only thing it's done was make the humidity even higher! I can't seem to figure out what to do... I've heard that putting a dehumidifier could help, but I wanted to see if there was anything else I could do before buying a 100-300 dollar dehumidifier. I took the water dish out of the tank, and I mist my beardie outside of the tank. Is it possible another light bulb could help? Or something else? The tank is definitely well ventilated with wire mesh tops.

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That seems pretty high for indoor humidity. Are you sure the readings are accurate? It might be a good idea to calibrate your hygrometer just to be sure. You can do this by filling a bottle cap or similar with table salt. Dampen the salt with water and put it in a ziploc with your hygrometer. Leave it there for several hours sealed up. It should read 75%

If that all checks out, I agree that a desiccant may be a good idea. I have a small eva dry dehumidifier which works well in small spaces. You plug it in to "recharge" it once it's full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom