My Beardie Wants To Eat This Weed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niche4Tone

We can't even take him out in the yard anymore because he will dive bomb for it. He's obsessed with this plant! I can't seem to find out exactly what it is but some say it looks like Mexican Clover. We are in coastal GA. The plant grows all over my yard like ground cover because we refuse to use chemicals or fertilizers on the yard. I'm just worried if it is safe for him to eat. Until I find out, he has to stay house bound but we miss his companionship when we are all outside.
88599-9466035282.jpg
88599-3747860016.jpg

your agricultural extension office can tell you what the name of the plant is, and then you can look up the plant and whether or not its safe to eat.

Niche4Tone

Original Poster
I have found out it is part of the Rubiaceae family of plants, which includes Mexican Clover and Florida Pusley through some identification sites. So far no one can tell me if it is safe to eat. This family of plants is listed in medicinal sites for the roots being used to induce vomiting. There is information on PLANTS.USDA.GOV site about it's food source for birds and mammals which list it as a moderate nutrition source. But nothing about it's food source for reptiles.

So if it's safe for small mammals then is it safe for reptiles?

This seems like a very specific question that plant experts are having trouble asking. Plant experts are telling me to ask the beardie experts.
sigh.

LinusTheOrange":1wi2j57v said:
your agricultural extension office can tell you what the name of the plant is, and then you can look up the plant and whether or not its safe to eat.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I don't see anything that leads me to believe its dangerous to reptiles but without being able to find a definite nutritional content, whether you feel comfortable letting him eat it really is up to you.

I like to know the oxalate content of what I feed and I can't find that info on the mexican clover. I would feel comfortable letting my dragon have a few bites once in awhile but thats all.

Personally, I would go on a weed killing campaign if I had a unknown weed in my yard that the dragon was always trying to eat.

Do you leash him when outside? That combined with a blanket would at least keep him away from the plant while allowing him to still get outside time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom