Is my bearded dragon growing enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

My bearded dragon is a 6 month old male. He lives in a 4ft vivarium with two UVB bulbs situated along the roof, one is a 10.0 and one 2.0. The heat lamp is situated on top of the viv, 105 F on the hot side and around 88 F on cool side (a bit too hot I know but struggling to get my thermostat to work :? ). He eats crickets and calci worms, as well as rocket, butternut squash and some occasional strawberries. Some days he'll eat hardly anything and other days he will eat loads. He is currently 14.5 inches nose to tip of the tail, 14.5 CM around the belly and 180 g. I got him at 3 1/2 months old and he was 7.5 inches then. Is this an okay size for a 6 month old male? I am constantly worried about his growth, as I've read posts on here of males being 300-400 g by this age :(

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks! :D

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Im thinking my rankins dragon maybe a little over weight. Around 12 inches long and 198g
88016-2987856642.jpg
He does have a fat belly

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Is yours a starter tank? Do you have any pics of it?

Im just interested as i have a starter tank too and had only used 1 of my uvb bulbs up until now.
Heres mine.
88016-5563223944.jpg

Gail

BD.org Addict
Could you post a pic of him? His body condition is much more important then his weight. Not all dragons grow quickly and many, many pet dragons are very over weight. As long as he is eating, growing and looks good, then you don't need to worry.

Karen, your rankins isn't overweight, he looks really good.

rebeccamonteith

Original Poster
85429-8630913370.jpg
85429-8276869235.jpg
85429-9565208572.jpg
85429-7657901877.jpg
85429-4906840073.jpg
85429-5665305578.jpg

Hi! Thank you for your replies!
Karen your dragon looks lovely! :D

Here are some photos that were taken the other day, the setup photo was taken just now - you can see him sleeping hehe! Sorry it doesn't shoe the lights etc but they run parallel along the roof!
I hope he looks okay! :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Rebecca , your dragon looks great. :) Karen, was that a typo ? I think you have either his weight or length wrong, at 12" he's probably more like 100 grams or just a bit more.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
No wasnt a typo. He was weighing in at 7oz which i converted to 198g.
I told you he was fat ?

Im so embarassed. I just weighed him again and hes 2.5 oz = 90g ???
I did think 198g was way too much ??
Thank god i checked again

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
And he's really 12" ? I know that's the max size of a Rankin's . He is a chunk, but carries it well. :) Compare him to Rebecca's dragon that weighs 50 grams less but is almost 3" longer, and he looks good as well.

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Rebecca are you in the uk? Your cage looks the same as mine. Can i just ask is your basking lamp on the top of the cage with a special hole cut out? If so is it in the middle of the roof or more to the right side or the left side?

rebeccamonteith

Original Poster
Hi Karen, yes I am in the UK! Are you? My tank is just from pets at home but it's really good quality! The heat lamp is in a hole on top on the right side :)

Karenxx67

Juvie Member
Yes i am in the uk. London to be exact. Mine too is the starter tank but im finding it sooo hard to get the right temps. I have 3 different basking bulbs a 50w a 75w and a 100w. None have the bloody desired effect. And im so confused about temps. Everyone says different.

It doesnt help that my living room gets hot in the afternoon so pushes up the temperature.

rebeccamonteith

Original Poster
Aww I'm in Edinburgh! :) I have a 105 w! I used to have a 150 w but this was too hot! I've heard that a lot of 60 w are used! I'm just struggling with my cool end :(

As far as I'm aware, between 100 and 115 is good for basking spot and between 70 and 85 for cool end! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom