Treating MBD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickconklinjr

Hello, my beardie, Rex, was diagonosed with MBD 3 weeks ago and I have been doing everything I can to help him make a full recovery although I know this doesn't always happen. I set up a new terrarium which is HUGE for my 14mo old guy. The lighting/temp is on point and I was sure to make sure there is plenty of room to find cover if he wants It. I have 2 questions-- 1) is it a bad idea to give him a new home which may cause stress when I'm trying to help him make a speedy recovery? Will the "stress" of a new home (much bigger) pass in a couple of days and have a helpful effect in the long run? 2) I created 2 levels-the upper is about 8 inches from the basking light and has a 35degree angled ramp to the lover level. Curious to know if it's a bad idea to have a beardie with limited back leg use have to use a ramp even though the angle isn't too steep. Please advise. Thank you!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your dragon has metabolic bone disease. Those are great questions.
I think he will be fine but it will take him a short while to become adjusted to his new home.
Which supplementation do you use for him?
Did you be sure & keep everything a little lower so that he doesn't have to climb too much or that he wont fall & hurt himself? If you have pictures, you can post them of him & the tank. Does he spend a good portion of his time right now on the lower level? Which UVB light are you using?
It sounds like you are making a huge effort to get him all well, too.
You can use this link to get started uploading your pictures:

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#list

Tracie

Rickconklinjr

Original Poster
Tracie,
Thank you so much for your speedy response!! I haven't put Rex in his new home for more than a few minutes at a time because he keeps bumping into the glass walls. I will he home with him all day Tuesday and Wednesday so I will put him in there those days so I can monitor him closely.
I took him to the reptile vet on 9/5 to be diagnosed and Rex was given an injection and I give him .1ml of Calcionate 2 times a day for a month and then once a day for another month. I replaced his UVB bulb with a top of the line one and I built him a large outdoor enclosure to enjoy outside sun daily. He basks for 30 min to 2 hours daily outside. I will upload pics tomorrow and once again greatly appreciate your response. Also, I haven't noticed any improvement in his back legs but the Dr. says it may take several weeks up to a few months to have any real recovery. Do you agree? I'm just worried because I feel like I let him down by not doing all my homework until AFTER he became ill.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I would just be careful how high things are because they really don't have good control of their movements and weak bones on top of that could break something easily. Just make sure there is no lens over the uvb. I would add serrapeptase to your supplements to aid in calcium absorption. From what I read I think there is calcium in it so keep it in mind that you don't give too much calcium with the other stuff you have. I just ordered some myself just to help mine with parasite treatment so I don't know how much calcium is in it yet. http://www.beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=60&product_id=545

It's pretty awesome it's warm enough where you are for him to go outside. As for homework, it's so hard to know that there is more you should know about beardies till something goes wrong unfortunately :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom