It's not MBD, it's not Vitamin Deficiency, what is it???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!

I am a new user on this forum, but have used the discussion board responses and resources of this website frequently in the past. Sadly what my beardie is suffering from seems to be a bit uncommon. In May 2015 I adopted a 5-6 year old beardie named Frankie. When I first got her, she was a bit on the malnourished side, with constant dark colors and a nervous and aggressive demeanor. At the time I was also caring for my sister's beardie Sheila, and after a while I finally got Frankie to soften up and become friendly with not just me, but Sheila, and my family. Frankie gained weight appropriately, received a more diversified diet, and lots of outside time. In September I moved with both beardies to Madison and for a time housed them in the same tank, but they were kept separately due to a divider. Sadly in October Sheila passed away at the age of ten due to a prolapse of her ovaries, and an autopsy revealed she in general had a healthy skeleton despite some fusing of vertebrae and had growths (non-cancerous) along her spine(but no MBD, in spite of having muscle tremors for the past few years of her life). About 2 months after Sheila died I began to notice very slight muscle twitches in Frankie, mostly in the hind legs or upper arms. Thinking it could be a calcium problem, I immediately replaced her UVB to see if that helped. A month or two passed and still the twitching continued, usually during a period of rest after activity. Frankie was also brumating during this time, so in general she was much more lethargic and eating/defecating less. In February I finally went to a vet who suggested adding some vitamin dust to Frankie's diet in a addition to the calcium dust, and she also found an elevated number of pin worm eggs in Frankie's feces, so we did a few rounds of antibiotics. I waited another month or two to see if the new UVB light, added vitamins, and a diversified diet would help. While Frankie seemed to come out of her winter slump in personality, the twitches continued, and began spreading to other parts of her body, and began to last longer as well. Another visit to the vet early this summer and a simple blood test showed no results, other than a slightly lower white blood cell count. My vet suggested I do further testing with the UW Vet hospital, and recently I did. Her physical exam revealed she's a bit overweight, and the muscle tremors were noted in her pelvis, limbs, and chest. She was sedated for some tests and the tremors were even more pronounced. Her electrolytes, kidney and liver function seemed adequate, as was her ionized calcium (this ruled out MBD). Bone density was also fine, though she has some kind of mineralized mass in her digestive tract (possibly a buildup of calcium, exoskeletons, or granuloma). The CT scan also revealed a small amount of free fluid located in the coelemic cavity (but listed as normal). It was noted that the liver is enlarged "with rounded margins and is fluid to fat attenuating". So essentially metabolic bone disease was ruled out, as was vitamin deficiency. Honestly the vets seemed stumped. They say the other possibilities are neurological disease or Adadenovirus. To find an answer will involve muscle testing and possibly a biopsy, and sadly for Adadenovirus I've read the only way to diagnose is post mortem. I am at my wit's end, terrified every day I will come home and something terrible will have happened to Frankie. In the last few weeks as well she has barely been eating veggies, which I offer to her everyday, and also only defecates maybe once a week, and that's usually when I'm bathing her. She is also under her hides most of the time, so I don't know if she's digesting properly. The tremors have gotten so bad- when she DOES eat (she still loves the bugs I give her) her beard twitches uncontrollably, and when she runs around the tremors are all over her body. Even when she has been sitting still for long periods of time I see the tremors. At this point I am looking for any similar experiences to Frankie's as the UW vet team hadn't seen anything quite like it before. The vegetables I feed her 6-7 times a week consist of staples of collard greens, mustard greens, butternut squash, sweet potato, sugar snap peas, green beans, prickly pear cactus, mango, and papaya, and recently I've been sneaking in (occasionally) foods like blueberries, apples, carrots- I even bought some organic baby food with staple ingredients to see if a more liquid food would be appealing and help Frankie- so far she is mostly unimpressed lol. I make her a salad of 2-4 different types of veggies, and try to offer them to her daily, usually put it in her tank before I leave work. The past two weeks she barely nibbles at it, the majority of the salad is still left behind. Every other day I give her bugs, as I had read 70% diet for adults should be veggies/fruits, 30% should be meat protein. I feed her gut loaded dubia roaches (fed the same veggies she gets) and switch off between also supplementing with either horn worms (she devours those like they're drugs!) or phoenix worms. If I'm running low on bugs I will feed her meal worms, but that's very occasional. A few months ago I tried switching back to crickets (though I hate them) to see if that helped but I didn't see much of a difference. I use Tetra Fauna Repto Cal calcium dust (with Vitamin D3 and a small amount of phosphorus). Frankie has a water bowl kept in her tank for humidity and to sit in if she gets too hot- I think she's been using that fairly frequently lately. And she gets a bath at least once a week. I've made a lot of lighting changes for her tank in the last few months to try and help encourage her to be active or to adjust due to the heat and humidity in my house (which these days sits at about 75-80 degrees). Presently, I am using a 160 watt Mercury vapor bulb to heat and give UVB, and at night I have a 70 watt black heat bulb running. I do have floor heating pads for her but don't use them now that its so hot all the time. Frankie has two areas of her tank where she can hide, one that is on the cooler side of the tank, the other is in the basking area, but that actually works to prop up a rock I have for her to bask on. I use a felt/AstroTurf like mat as her floor in the tank. Her basking rock/area sits 8.5-9 inches below the lowest point that the MVB reaches, however it previously sat higher up due to some branches I had propped above the basking rock- I think it put her too close to the light source and that's why she never would bask, so I made the change. At night, when the black heat bulb is on, the temperature at floor level in her tank is around 82-84 degrees, and I think that might be too high (sadly my house is so warm these days- I'm thinking of shutting the light off at night). During the day, the temperature at her basking rock is presently averaging 98 degrees, while the hide under her basking area is averaging 88 degrees. Floor temperature on the warm side of the tank is 96-97 degrees, and on the cooler side its 85-87 (too drastic a difference?). Under her hide on the cooler side it reads 84 degrees . Her tank measures 18 x 47 x 21 inches. When I clean her tank I only use steam to clean it, and for her logs and rocks I bake them in the oven to kill bacteria. She is awake from 8:30 am to 8:30 pm. If there is any other info I can provide please ask, I would really love to hear if any other people have experienced similar muscle tremor concerns with their beardies. I just want to give her the best life possible :/
Also here are some photos of her, and (sorry for those who are of sensitive stomachs) her last poop. Sorry that this post was absurdly long too!
88259-5234094323.jpg
88259-5685083955.jpg
88259-8505281913.jpg
88259-2295891797.jpg
88259-5271394988.jpg
88259-100725773.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there...sorry to hear about Frankie's troubles. :( Any way yo can post a video of her ? You've been very thorough in listing all husbandry specs and vet exams, so that's good. I wanted to mention though, that you definitely can test for atadenovirus. Not sure why your vet thought otherwise....I sure hope they are not mistaken on other aspects of the testing that's been done on Frankie. If you contact Drache613 here [ Tracie is one of the mods. ] she can get your girl tested for a low price.

I would advise to lower the temp. in the" cool " areas of the tank.....88 is much too high, get it down to 78-82 at the most. Nightime should be around 70 degrees. It probably won't affect her much, but if there were ever heat spikes at anytime then Frankie could have had a heat stroke. Just throwing that out there. It also may be that some animals develop little known disorders....look at the crazy illnesses that people have that are named after the person who discovers them, there are many and some have no real known cause or cure.

But hopefully Frankie can still lead a reasonably comfortable life if she's not actually in pain. Best wishes to you + her !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry to hear about Frankie's issues. Do you happen to have a copy of the blood test results just so I can look over them?
How often do you give the calcium with D3? Do you give a multi vitamin too?
Which brand of Mercury vapor bulb are you using?
Your diet for her is terrific & has plenty of variety. She is very lucky.
Since they did mention the enlargement of the liver, adeno is a possibility & it is just now manifesting itself for some reason. Or, as suggested, a stroke could be possible, too.
If you want to get her tested, it is an easy test. Just sign up on my site at:

www.thepats.info

A video would be helpful too so we could see her gait, etc. She is a great looking dragon.

Tracie

beardedlady91

Original Poster
Hi Drache613!

Thank you so much for the advice you gave me! I will try to scrounge up the blood results in the email the vet sent me and post it. The calcium with D3 (also has a little phosphorus too, I recently realized) I used to dust on both veggies and bugs for Frankie 2-3 times a week. Now I've dropped it down to two times a week and only on her bugs, as she has been so picky about veggies these days. I used to give a Herptivite multi vitamin dusting to her veggies and bugs 2-3 times a week as well, until the doc suggested dropping that to 2 times a month- I'm not sure anymore what the reasoning for that was but it never seemed to make much difference anyway with her twitching. I can't recall what brand of MVB I bought but I know it wasn't ExoTerra, ZooMed, Flukers, or Zilla. Yeah I don't know why the vets at the UW hospital had never heard of Adenovirus testing that isn't post mortem, they've told me they're looking into it.

beardedlady91

Original Poster
Hi AHBD!
Thank you so much for your advice and suggestions!
I forgot to upload a video of the twitching but will do that soon (I'm out of town for work this week). And yeah I was surprised the UW Vet hospital had never heard of Adenovirus testing other than post mortem :/
I think you're right about the temperatures in the tank being too high, it would help explain why Frankie was always hiding. I recently bought a sturdy lamp stand to suspend the 160 watt MVB directly vertically above the tank, and the space between the bulb and her basking rock is closer to 10-12 inches now, and I've been able to get Frankie to bask up there a few times. The temperature readings still seem a little high under her hides and on the cool side though- any suggestions about how to further lower it? Anytime I'd pick Frankie up after her having been hiding a while her belly was always cold still, so I did turn on a floor heating pad to see if that would aid her digestion.

beardedlady91

Original Poster
:Hi all!

I have a few updates regarding Frankie. Her behavior of hiding a lot, pooping maybe once or twice weekly (in the bath) and her reluctance and outright refusal to eat veggies has been going on for a while now, so on Friday I called the doc and decided to have her seen before the long weekend and my work trip. We were at the vet for three hours, where they performed a radiograph to look at potential gas or obstructions in her stomach. They found some gas but nothing to cause much concern or explain her behavior lately. They decided to give her an enema and a bath to help relieve any pressure or fecal matter, and around 9:30 she finally did have a massive, and very smelly and noisy, poop (tmi?) The vet administered a dose of pain medicine, either to see if that would help perk her up or due to the enema. And they also prescribed two weeks worth of Antibiotics, administered to Frankie's arms once daily (Ceftazidimine, 0.11 ml daily) to see if that would help fight any bacterial infection Frankie might have that could be decreasing her appetite and poops. Frankie was weighing 530 grams when I brought her in, which is overweight- I don't understand how she is overweight if I've been limiting her bug intake and she barely eats veggies though :/ They also gave her some subcutaneous fluids into the side of her abdomen which absorbed nicely.
So, yesterday I gave Frankie her fourth antibiotic shot (she actually behaves quite well for them, though my fingers were clumsy yesterday and she got mad at me lol) and while her belly is still looking very bulbous, she readily pooped in the bath I gave her (not a very large one granted) and she actually enthusiastically ate blueberries for me! I dk if its because they're so juicy and fleshy looking but that was the only thing of her salad she ate. Though she can't just eat blueberries forever, as I know its only an occasional fruit for lizards, I was relieved to see some progress for veggies! She is also very alert and active still at this point (climbing up steps on her own, scampering and such) not so much in her tank though. One thing I am noticing more and more (and maybe this is just due to her general decline) is she gets very easily exhausted when eating bugs or the few veggies she touches. Yesterday for example it would take her a few tries to get the blueberry slices into her mouth (she likes to lick things up into her mouth rather than clamping down on them with her teeth) but once she'd eat it she'd experience heavy breathing as if she'd been running for a long time. I am really hoping these antibiotics make even a little difference. If she is positive for Adenovirus I know that would make her more susceptible to bacterial and parasitic infections, and that antibiotics are one way to treat symptomatically. I will try to upload a video of her tremor activity soon to get more opinions. Thank you for the kind and positive thoughts everyone!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, thanks for trying to get the blood test results. :D
Poor Frankie, having to go through an enema, then antibiotic shots. At least she seems to be handling them alright though.
So how often does she get calcium without D3 now, 3 times per week?
You probably have the Zoomed Powersun then, the 160 watt. What are the basking temperatures now, with your new light stand?
They didn't notice any eggs at all? Has she ever laid any infertile eggs since you adopted her?
I'm happy to hear that she ate some blueberries though, that is better than nothing. I hope she continues to improve, even if it is small steps.
Did you turn the light off at night for her now?
Keep us posted on Frankie.

Tracie

beardedlady91

Original Poster
Hi again Drache613!

So here is a snapshot of what I took to be the official blood test results shared with me from UW Vet Hospital- I really don't know what any of this means lol, but the doctor didn't show any real concern about any of these levels.
88259-6759993718.jpg
And yeah, poor dear had a rough unexpected friday night, but I was so glad to see the enema actually helped her get some fecal matter out.
The Calcium dust I give her does have D3 in it, and a minimal amount of phosphorus (which I'm not fond of as I worry about phosphorus levels) and I use it on her protein (bugs) twice weekly- so the two days of the week I use it all of the bugs I feed her are dusted with it. The other day I took a temperature reading from the basking rock that's now 10-12 inches below the MVP as its hanging now, and it was still reading above 100 degrees, around 104-106 so I tried raising it even more so I'd have less trouble with the cool side of the tank being too high. Sadly I forgot to take a new reading on that side and am out of town for work right now so will have to retake it when I get back.
And no, no mention made at the Vet of any eggs and in the year and a half she's been with me she's never laid any eggs, and I'd never gotten the impression from her previous owners that she'd laid an egg while in their care (which seems slightly odd, seeing as she used to be kept in a sandy substrate). Do you think its possible she could have a problem with a bound unfertilized egg? My sister's beardie Sheila also never laid eggs (granted for most of her life her sex was always up for debate- even our vets couldn't quite figure it out until her autopsy!). So I guess I'm not really sure if a failure to lay eggs even in a non-mating environment is normal or not.
I had turned the nightime light in her tank off for a week or two, but for a few colder nights turned it on as I was scared she'd be too cold. Now I have it back on at night but I think I will ask my sister to turn it off again to be on the safe side and give Frankie 12 hours of cooler time.
I really hate having to go on these work trips, it makes me so anxious not knowing if she will be ok while I am gone. I'm lucky because my sister whom I live with is no stranger to lizards, and is giving Frankie her food, medicine, and occasional baths while I am gone, but she has a busy schedule too and I still worry :/
Thank you for your continued interest and advice for Frankie- it means a lot to me!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good to hear that she's doing better ! I can see why you're still worried though, with her shakiness + weakness. I'm very leery of giving antibiotics " just in case " since they can also harm her immune system. Shots are very risky because they can cause infection and or muscle atrophy. I hope that there won't be any complications from it. Have you been getting her outside at all ? Just in the grass to soak up some sun might do her good. I apologize if you mentioned it, I can't remember all the details of her treatment.

beardedlady91

Original Poster
Hi again ABHD!

I was a little worried about doing shots of antibiotic as well, and asked the vet if there was risk of giving her them if there was no bacterial source- the vet said it should be safe even if the meds don't treat a bacterial problem- granted if antibiotics lower a humans immune system you'd think that yeah it would do the same for reptiles. I'm lucky in that my sister (AKA Frankie's auntie Mo/babysitter) has some good knowledge about injections and how to give them (she's a diabetic so she gives herself shots daily and had good advice about how to inject in Frankie's arm so that there is minimal chance of bleeding or leaking of the antibiotic). I think Frankie is catching on to when its "shots time" so she's been getting squirrely before the shot goes in, understandably. And yup when I'm not travelling for work I try to get her outside into the sunshine and fresh air about every other day. With the long holiday weekend she and I spent lots of time out in the yard. I'm always within arms reach of her however as she likes to scamper and there are plenty of hiding places by the porch- I've been meaning to make her a harness so i don't run the risk of her getting out of my reach.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like she is doing a little better. I hope she handles the antibiotic alright, since there doesn't seem to be any infection present.
The blood tests look pretty good. The uric acid is a little low though. It could be a vitamin or mineral deficiency or dehydration. The calcium to phosphorus levels look good as well. Did they do a complete blood count to view the white blood cell counts also? The AST (liver enzyme) levels look fine, maybe slightly low but within range. Low levels can indicate a B6 deficiency.
I'm glad you have someone to watch her & make sure she eats while you are away a bit. At least she wont mind feeding her & helping out.
The albumin is a little elevated but not sure it's high enough to warrant egg development or not. The calcium isn't terribly high as it would be if she were developing eggs.
You can dust with calcium 2-3 days per week & using D3 is ok for 1-2 times, but if the Powersun is producing correctly then she wont necessarily need much D3.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom