New adult beardie and I'm very flustered!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody. Just want to start out by saying I got my beardie about 6 days ago and boy oh boy is she a handful right now!

I know it's a new house and all that, but her beard's been getting darker almost every day since I had her. In the mornings, She's very slow to get up and bask. For example, it's 9 AM right now, her basking lights have been on since around 7 and she's still in her hide.
Aside from that, she hasn't been eating much at all. Her old owner was very bad about veggies and said she just wouldn't eat them so I'm afraid she's not getting enough water. She didn't eat more than a super worm or two every day until yesterday, when I gave her 5 super worms and 2 hornworms and she seemed to be in a much better mood, basking a ton.

So I guess to summarize, she hides in her hide all morning, and usually an hour or two before lights go out. So as opposed to my 13 hour basking schedule she maybe only uses 10 of those hours. She also isn't eating her vegetables and I'm afraid she's dehydrated. What can I do?

Note: We don't have any sort of "connection" yet. She doesn't like me picking her, she runs out of my hands when I take her out of the tank, and she doesn't sit still in the bath with me, always running out towards her tank or towards my balcony window.

ochickenstrip

Original Poster
Update: I know it hasn't been long but I guess my anxiety got the best of me. I did some research and they suggested just removing the hide. I removed the hide but she didn't move. So i took the time to gently lift her up and place her closer to the basking side, and she decided to get up and walk there herself and is now basking.

About my tank:
It's a custom made tank, probably about to 60 gallons. It definitely needs some work. Her basking spot and UVB lights cover maybe only 1/4 of the tank. I think I need to buy her UVB for her cool side too. Could that be the reason she's not getting up and going to bask herself? Maybe she doesn't understand that it's actually morning time?

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I woke up Mystic at 8:30, he has not moved, except to open his eyes. He is about 1-1/2 years old. I'll get him out for a little exercise soon. As the sun goes down his eyes are closing, so I usually just turn out the lights and let him go to sleep. Lazy Dragon, lol.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's quite common for them to be slow in the mornings. Some more than others - that comes down to personality I think. I've developed a routine of taking my guy out and putting him under the kitchen basking light when I get up (an hour or so after his lights turn on) so he can bask and have breakfast. They respond to routine so I'd set a routine that works well for you and try to stick with it to get her used to it. For now though, I'd just give her a few weeks to settle in and get used to her new enclosure. It sounds like she's just a bit stressed out for now. Be patient on that front. Keep the hide in the tank so she can stay there if it helps her feel more secure.

As far as the enclosure goes, I'd stick with what you have. I provide high UVB and high heat over the basking side and then low to no UVB and lower heat on the cool side. Providing a gradient will allow her to self regulate and get what she needs. The basking site should be just a bit more in diameter than her length so she can bask evenly. 1/4 of the tank with high heat and high UVB is probably fine as long as you've got the UVB light at proper distance and you have 100-105ish basking zone and 75-80ish cool side.

ochickenstrip

Original Poster
Thank you so much Cooper. I think I failed to mention this is a 2.5+ year old dragon. Will that change any of the advice you've given me?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Not really. If anything, her age will make her appear more set in her ways and lazy. It may take more time to get her adjusted to her new home and routine than with a younger dragon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, when you get an adult, many times they have their habits & are hard to break them of certain things. LOL
I am sure though in time you two will bond, but she may not have ever had much attention previously so isn't sure what to do with more TLC from you.
The UVB is nice to have over maybe 2/3rds of the tank length but you don't necessarily need to have it covering the cool side, no problem. Which UVB are you using, I must havec missed that?
Do you have pictures of her?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom