Feeding HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got my bearded dragon Lincoln from my local pet store. He is about 9 inches long. They said that I should feed woodies (cricket/roaches) one day, then veges the next and mealworms the next day and repeat it.
Is this a good way to feed Lincoln or do you have any other suggestions? Also, is it okay to feed him mealworms at 9 inches long? Could you also give me a list of some of your beardies favourite vegetables/fruits?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
The condenses on here is meal worms are a no no. I agree with them.
You can feed him small to medium crickets dayly and offer him veggies along with that, he may not eat them but have them available just in case. At 9 to 10 inches he is not a year old yet and his diet consist of 80%bugs and 20%veggies until he reaches the 1 year mark then it starts to reverse.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Peaches likes:
Turnip greens
Mustard greens
Collard Greens
Kale
Shredded carrots
Yellow bell peppers
Endive
Clover
Pears
Apples
Peaches
Strawberries
Bananas
Cherries
And we are still trying new things.
But most of all she loves her crickets and superworms.

I wouldn't advise superworms until he reaches 16".

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
VERY BAD ADVISE by pet shop staff.

I assume you are in Australia if referring to "woodies". :)

I reckon this is your best place to come for advise.

You might find Calcigents hard to local here in Australia ( I have a link for a supplier who I think has them (based in Qld) and silkworms will be hard to find for another few weeks or so , though you can find silkworm eggs (an excellent and cheaper way of getting silkworms), I have a couple of links for silkworms , another good place to look is GUMTREE.

If he's is ONLY 9" long (total length), he's still a hatchling (baby) AND NEEDS TO BE FEED HIGH QUALITY LIVE INSECTS AT LEAST TWO TIMES PER DAY (THREE TIMES PER DAY IS BETTER).

How heavy is he in grams ?

Your best options are
---- calcigents (aka phoenix worms) , these do not need to be dusted with Calcium
---- silkworms (I'd get small worms about 1 - 2 inches long) , these do not need to be dusted with Calcium
---- crickets or roaches (I'd aim for 1/3 size crickets or equiv in roaches) , these need to be gutloaded with calcium rich salads/veg and dusted with calcium.

Mealworms are not suitable for a young dragon, and are best only used as treats for adult dragons too.

Offer greens and salad daily , he may nibble on it , but at such a young age he probably wont , offer it anyway.
As many bugs per feed as he'll eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom