Attention starved

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Hey guys,
So I've had my 5 month old Beardie for about 3 months now. I love her to pieces. She's a very healthy eater, nipples on her collard greens and butternut squash through out the day and eats about 80-100 insects a day. We feed Dubia,Phoenix worms, and occasionally waxworms and supers. I know some don't recommend supers before a certain age but I assure you she handles them very well and only gets one every now and than. The issue I'm faced with is over the past few days if she sees me walk into the room she goes nuts and will not stop cage dancing and freaking out until I take her out. I love the fact that she is attached to me but sometimes I would like for her to be content in her Viv while I'm in the room. Like right after I feed her she needs to bask but won't! She will cage dance for hours if she has to in order to get her way, she's very spoiled. And than there are times I would like to have some me time, I'm a college student so once in awhile id like a little study time without worrying about her injuring herself from going crazy in her Viv.
I'll go ahead and give you guys the run down on her set up: reptisun 10.0 UVB (bulbs are only a few weeks old)
40 gal Viv that 36" long (for her size it should be plenty of room)
95-109 basking temp range, we did recently lower her temps due to the fact she out grew her higher baby temps and was getting too hot
90 degrees warm side, 80-83 cool side
Substrate is reptile carpet and paper towls when we clean her carpet

We have a background and sides are covered due to the fact she hates her reflection lol so I know that isn't the issue. I spend lots of time with her and give her frequent play time (to run around my room and burn some energy) and she goes outside to play for atleast an hour every day. Here lately I've had to take her outside and sit with her after she eats just so she will bask and digest her food.

I really don't know what more to do. I love her hyper personality so it's not that I want to change her. Id just like for her to want to spend some time in her Viv basking. That use to be her favorite hobby. And not to mention she is still hyper when she's out running. I have scratches all over my hands from attempting to hold her and wrap her in a blanket to calm her down. She's not a mean girl she's just a very very very hyper girl. Any tips on how to handle this behavior would be great

Gail

BD.org Addict
When I had a dragon that did that, I would cover the front of his cage once in a while with a towel. It really helped him calm down and relax.

Part of her hyper activity could be her entering dragon puberty. It should settle down as she ages, most adults are much calmer/lazier.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for your response. I hadn't even considered covering the front of her enclosure what a great idea!
I wasnt sure what age puberty usually begins in them but I was beginning to think about that being a possibility. She just recently had a vet visit so I know she's an over all healthy girl. Seeing that it is a sudden change in behavior and I haven't changed a thing in her diet or enclosure (other than lowering her temps just a pinch) I think puberty could definitely be the case here.
I'll try cover the front of her enclosure from time to time to see if that helps her to relax a little. Once again thanks I really appreciate the advice

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
The problem could be the reduced basking temps. Mine stays between 95° and 105° in a 12" circle, hot in the center and cools down going outward. That is an awful lot of insects to digest with temps that low.. As you said, she just recently started this activity. And you just adjusted her temps down.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
MsCarter":3vzsbai2 said:
95-109 basking temp range, we did recently lower her temps due to the fact she out grew her higher baby temps and was getting too hot
Gail":3vzsbai2 said:
Those temps are just fine, they can digest at 95*
But she said the high is 90°, that is what made me say that.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Her basking temp goes up to 108. Which she rarely uses. She seems to like the 103 area on her log the best. Before it was reaching 112 at the strongest spot (which she loved as a baby) but recently she stopped basking all together. Instead she would climb up against her wall near her basking light but not directly under it. It was clear she wanted to bask but something wasn't quite right. We lowered the temps and sure enough she started basking again immediately. She still gaps so I know she's reaching that "this feels good" spot.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
MsCarter":k2f6s87x said:
Her basking temp goes up to 108. Which she rarely uses. She seems to like the 103 area on her log the best. Before it was reaching 112 at the strongest spot (which she loved as a baby) but recently she stopped basking all together. Instead she would climb up against her wall near her basking light but not directly under it. It was clear she wanted to bask but something wasn't quite right. We lowered the temps and sure enough she started basking again immediately. She still gaps so I know she's reaching that "this feels good" spot.
That's a good sign when they do that. I guess I was a bit confused.

MsCarter

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Gormagon":1fy5y3lx said:
MsCarter":1fy5y3lx said:
Gail":1fy5y3lx said:
Those temps are just fine, they can digest at 95*
But she said the high is 90°, that is what made me say that.

She does have an area on her warm side that goes up to 95-96. The way her Viv is set up there is a huge log that she is able to go under as well as a shadow cast by it where it is only about 90. She's got quite a range of different temps in there lol. I guess I should have been more clear when telling you guys the warm side temps. My apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom