New Beardie Sleeping A lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodyH3012

Hi everyone!

So after art passed away I couldn't help but get another beardie. I adopted a 2 year old female from a breeder, which stated that she was a retired breeder of hers. She's half german giant and she's a big girl. She has a great personality and loves her outside time. She already had a vet visit and they said everything looked good aside from the fact she had pinworms. They gave me medication for it and they said to give it 3 days in a row every 3 weeks. She already got her meds a week ago and she still did this when I first got her. She's CONSTANTLY sleeping!! I have the exact kind of cage and setup that Art did he and he thrived in that cage for 14 years so I don't think it's husbandry. She sits in the corner of her cage and lays on this stepup rock I have for her and she just sleeps all day! When I make noise she obviously wakes up but other then that she just sleeps :( where I live it's still 70-80 degrees outside so I don't think it has anything to do with brumation. She still eats just loves to sleep. She never uses her basking spot aside from maybe an hour a day. This is really starting to worry me, is she just lazy or is there something wrong?

Things I feed her:
Salad 5 times a week (Collard greens, squash, peppers, and dandelions)
once a week I throw in some supers into her salad.
The other 2 days I feed her dubia roaches and I make sure to dust her food with calicum and vitamins 3 times a week. I did this exact same diet with art and he seemed to love it, and she does also!! She eats perfectly fine which doesn't make me think it has anything to do with brumation.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great you did get another lovely dragon. :D
Though at 2, I am thinking it is most likely brumation or the start of it. While it may still be mild outside, it is the shortening of the days that oftentimes sets them up for sleepy time.
If her weight is good, overall health is thriving & basically had a clean bill of health other than some worms you are treating her for, I would think she is just slowing down.
She isn't eating much right now, correct?

Tracie

CodyH3012

Original Poster
Drache613":3djs86yk said:
Hello,

That's great you did get another lovely dragon. :D
Though at 2, I am thinking it is most likely brumation or the start of it. While it may still be mild outside, it is the shortening of the days that oftentimes sets them up for sleepy time.
If her weight is good, overall health is thriving & basically had a clean bill of health other than some worms you are treating her for, I would think she is just slowing down.
She isn't eating much right now, correct?

Tracie
She's still eating! She isn't touching her greens as much as when I first got her but she's still eating some salad and the regular amount of bugs. So if it's brumation what should I provide for her? Do females need anything different or can I do the same as I did with art? Sorry if it's a dumb question just wanna be sure :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom