Help Needed Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebNFlo

Hi All

Any advice would be greatly appreciated please! This is the first time I've joined and posted in a forum so please bare with me. Basically I got my first bearded dragon approx 6 weeks ago. An adult female, she came with a viv but had nothing at all in it other than lighting and a piece of bogwood. (I was told she's aged 2+ but other than that was given no information) the tank was covered in mites and had live food running round it even though I was told she was due to feed the following day. Anyway after lots...and lots...then more reading...I have rid the mites, redesigned the tank and changed her diet.

She's extremely friendly and enjoys human company and loves to be out and about now. When i first got her she was very lethargic and didn't do much. I immediately give her a hide because she didn't have one.

Her tank now:

Is 3ft I have added a full background, replaced the basking bulb and UVB bulb, cool end is just above 80 and warm end around 105. The base is 3/4 exo terra sandmat and 1/4 chippings. She has a wooden hide, rockery, greenery, a hammock, bogwood and a natural handmade bridge covered in moss which she seems to love.

She's spent a lot of time outside of the enclosure with myself and my partner being petted and is quite happy to take herself back in when she's ready. My problem is she is now glass surfing quite frantically each day like she's dying to come out. As soon as I open the door she's happy as larry, sometimes she'll just stay in the tank and bask, other times she will come out and potter round the room. Am I doing something wrong?

Her diet is healthy, enjoys her greens daily (especially kale and green beans) and feeds on live twice a week usually crickets or superworms as a treat.

Can someone please advise me on her behavior, scratching to come out? I don't want her to hurt herself and worried there's something i'm missing

Thanks in advance!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it sounds like you got a real sweet dragon. :) You've done a good job getting rid of the mites and she's much healthier for it. Can you post a few pics of her as well as her enclosure ? Here's how :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then hit XIMG

I would strongly advise to get rid of both the sand mat and the chips. Little pieces become dislodged from sand mat that can be swallowed, and the chips are even more dangerous....these can be swallowed [ accidentally or purposely ] and cause impaction. Better choices for flooring are plain newspaper, rough ceramic tile or non adhesive shelf liner.

Her restlessness may just be that she likes a little adventure. :) Or she might be carrying eggs. It's always good to have a laybox for her just in case. If you Google it you'll see how to set one up.

DebNFlo

Original Poster
Hi

Thanks for your quick reply, the enclosure was 100% chippings when I first got her so I thought the sandmat was a good option as she eats her greens from a food bowl and when live feeding i place a large plastic lid down for her to feed from, not the floor. I'd love to post pictures but they are on my phone and i'm struggling to transfer them to my laptop but hopefully will figure it out! Thank you for your response it's appreciated :D

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
I love the moss with the bridge, I have a little bridge like that but my girl doesn't use it. I think I'll steal that idea :)

DebNFlo

Original Poster
Thank you, I got my bridge on Ebay, a guy who makes them his username is 'mikegreen368' my beardie absolutely loves it always using it, i'm sure you could make it yourself though it's just twigs glued to netting with a bit of live moss :D

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
She's beautiful! I love your enclosure too...gives me some ideas too ?

DebNFlo

Original Poster
Aww thank you soo much, i'm just hoping the enclosure is healthy for her. I've kept boa constrictors all my life and also have a python and tarantula so i'm used to exotic pets. But this little girl needed a home so I've had to learn quick! Please feel free to pinch ideas, I will be doing the same lol :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks very healthy....nice job on the decor if she likes a busy tank. :) Just watch the greenery....some dragons will attempt to eat it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She is a great looking girl! :D The tank setup looks really nice & spacious for her. I am sure she will do wonderful with you, also. She looks very healthy.

Tracie

DebNFlo

Original Poster
Thank you for the lovely comments and advice above :D She seems happy and healthy but as I said i'm new to keeping dragons. I'm sure i'll learn plenty on here. The enclosure does look a little busy but with the bridge and hammock being raised she has plenty of floor space too. She seems to use everything in there, I've not seen her try to eat the greenery but she does like to sit and shade behind it at times

Debbie :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom