Free Range Scaley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scaley and I got to enjoy some much needed deck time yesterday.

She wandered around the back yard and ate some ants. She managed to get out of her harness so I'm going to have to figure out a new harness system if I want her to be able to roam a bit.

86279-4178647897.jpg

86279-785377492.jpg

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It's Friday and I'm working from home today. Also working from deck as it's so nice out and i like sitting in the fresh air. I brought Scaley out, she hasn't pooped for over a week but is wanting to sleep again. I can't let her sleep if she hasn't pooped so she's outside enjoying the deck with me.

86279-1384614278.jpg

She got herself on the grass and let out a giant poop, mucusy with a hard urate. I kind of expected that as it's been a while since she last pooped, but she hasn't eaten much either. I've been giving her baths and feeding her water to keep her hydrated also.

I'm wondering if I should bring her camping this weekend and then let her sleep if she wants or leave her at home now that she's pooped. My usual sitter is away this weekend so i would have to ask someone to look in on her tomorrow, I expect she'd be in her hide if she follows previous behaviour.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I went out for a great camping weekend. Got 3+ hours kayaking in, it was fantastic and the weather was warm.

I got home and was expecting Scaley to be in her hide, sleeping or going into brumation. Nope. She was on up on the warm side of her habitat and once she saw me I got the stink eye. Apparently I should have taken her camping. I took her outside, made up some food and water while we emptied the trailer and got showered.

She is now cuddled up on my shoulder as per usual in her sling. Sleeping off her snit :p

I took my tour of our local humane society for my volunteer orientation tour. They have a beautiful chameleon that I would love to take home and a little 6 month old Dragon. I'm not allowed to bring new animals home, for now...

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Scaley bath time. She's been a sleeper and hiding in her brumating state.

I use a little critter keeper to bathe her in. I like to put a towel in there so her head is supported. SHe drank a good amount but didn't poop.

86279-7910208380.jpg

Sleepy bath time
86279-7779274629.jpg

I weighed her and she's 398 grams so I'll be able to keep that as a baseline.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
She's still sleeping away. I weighed her yesterday and she came in at 402 grams, not sure how that happens.

I gave her a bath again and got her to drink a bunch of water. She slept pretty quickly after she was done drinking.

I miss her lots. There's no little buddy giving me the stink eye, basking or trying to sneak some veggies in while i'm not looking. I hope this doesn't last 4 months, i might go crazy :p

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Unfortunately Tengu's little Princess passed away today. It's made me quite sad and remembering my own lost little one, and how devastating it was to lose my little guy. I wish there was something I could do to help.

I stopped by the pet store during my errands to see the beardies as Scaley is properly sleeping and I don't want to wake her up. The people there let me play with a little baby, super fast and so sweet. I don't know if it made me feel better or just was bittersweet.

I did some sketches of Scaley, I also prepped the canvas and painted the background for the painting of her I'm working on.

Here are some loose sketches, the more I draw of a subject the better it gets and I just wanted to catch shape and movement not detail.

86279-3290402969.jpg

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well someone woke up today. I went in to give her a bath and she was already awake and she's not trying to go back to sleep.

I took the chance to weigh her and she's now 384g. I don't see any poop so I not happy she's lost weight. I"m getting the stink eye when i try to give her some water, so I think she's going to have to warm up and get some food in her.

Here she is warming up in her bath, we'll see how she feels tonight.
86279-1226250767.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome back sleepyhead! She'll probably gain the weight back once she's back to a normal routine.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
We got back from a 10 day camping vacation on Sunday. Our petsitter was taking care of the little Scalester as we didn't want to stress her out by taking her with us this time.

She slept the entire time we were away, I guess her waking up and being active was just to deke me out :p

I got her out and gave her water and she seemed dehydrated to me. She has been getting baths and she's now looking much more hydrated. Her skin is more responsive when i pinch it and not maintaining it's form as much. She now weighs 400 grams and there is still no poop.

I'm a little concerned that she ate and hasn't pooped for 14 days since. I have been massaging her belly during her baths to try to stimulate her into letting go. It's been too cold to take her outside and see if she'll do her business on the grass. I think i'll try some baby squash tonight or olive oil. I"m also going to block off her hide until she poops. Once she does that she can sleep all she wants, I don't want to lose her or have her get sick because she has rotting food in her tummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom