Introducing Beardie to New Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classicme

Hi, we brought home a beadie at Christmas time and just fell in love with it. (Not sure the sex) We call him Wilson. We have enjoyed it so much and technically he is my son's that I would like another one. Wilson is over a foot long and really mellow. He would be about 6 months now. We are adopting a 5 year old male. Can they ever be friends or will I need to keep them seperate forever. Any suggestions, has anyone else done this? Thank you in advance for any input!

Amy

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Classicme":2bn1iunq said:
Hi, we brought home a beadie at Christmas time and just fell in love with it. (Not sure the sex) We call him Wilson. We have enjoyed it so much and technically he is my son's that I would like another one. Wilson is over a foot long and really mellow. He would be about 6 months now. We are adopting a 5 year old male. Can they ever be friends or will I need to keep them seperate forever. Any suggestions, has anyone else done this? Thank you in advance for any input!

Amy

No , they wont be friends . They need to kept separate at all times .

What you will see is interesting beardie communications going on when one sees the other, headbobbing, armwaving, blackbearding, the big boy will likely notice your little one and will if Wilson is a girl get very excited and want to get to her (with have his evil ways with her BUT she is way too young for that and wont be ready to be allowed to mate until she's about 2 years old)

Two males can never be allowed to be together as they WILL FIGHT..

If they are introduced to each other, make sure you control the interaction and be ready to immediately take one away from a potentially lethal attack (larger beardies have been known to eat and kill smaller beardies).

Gail

BD.org Addict
Agreed, they never ever need to meet. They won't be friends, ever. Dragons come together for two things, fighting and mating. Sometimes two females can get along ok if raised together but even then they can be unpredictable and suddenly turn on each other.

I had a friend caring for one of my old baby beardies while I was on vacation. It had a separate tank and everything but she would bring it out with her adult one every now and then and keep an eye on them. Two weeks later she turned her back for a second and her beardie was licking his lips, and my beardie was gone. RIP little buddy. So no I don't think they will be friends, especially if there is a size difference. Beardies look at smaller lizards as a good treat from what I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom