Please help! Hard black scales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on my last leg here. I took my beardie to the vet and payed the outrageous price to have her looked at. The vet said she was fine and there was nothing to worry about but there are these weird red and black scales on her tail hard as a rock. They are also now on the underside of her leg. There is no other vet for lizards where I live and I am truly worried for my pet. I do not want her to lose her tail. She is eating fine and its active as always. I have read many posts on this website and nothing is like what is on her. All her lights are fine, her substrate is paper towels folded over twice over repticarpet, and i have three of the walls blocked off from her view. I have tried betadine baths for two weeks and it has no improved and so I started putting aloe on it and it made it shed around it but it does not change. Please please please help me find out what this is and if she will be ok.
88120-2646447290.jpg
88120-5077749062.jpg
88120-6134318574.jpg
88120-7134864270.jpg

Sorry if the images are blurry she would not sit still XD.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I am always flabbergasted that a vet could take hard earned money and say nothing's wrong. Be sure to never go back there, too bad you can't get a refund. Can you find another vet that has experience with beardies ? Anyway, that is definitely some type of infection [ the red spot ] Keep up the betadine soaks but keep it shallow , no longer than 10 minutes. The yellowish skin looks suspicious, hopefully not CANV [ yellow fungus ] After she's dried off from the bath [ pat her dry , try not to spread the infection ] Then apply raw, unpasteurized honey to the sore [ a natural antimicrobial ] and possibly a bit of tea tree oil mixed in, then a bandaid around it changed daily. If you use tea tree oil, only a drop diluted with water and then added to only the honey that you put on the tail. Never get any near her face, it's toxic. If you don't know any other vets near you, post the city you live in and someone here may be able to recommend one. Best wishes !

DragonFire2000

Original Poster
Thanks so much I will keep trying treatments. The yellow peeled off in her tank a few hours after the aloe it was just some old shed. I will go and get honey tomorrow! I live in Princeton WV. It's not a great place for lizards. I found my beardie in a pet shop with one light and three lizards crammed into a carrier tank with snake tanks just stacked on top of it. I have talked to other shops in the area and no one could explain what was going on so I will keep treatments up and do a scrub down of her tank as well just in case. Once again thank you so much for the help!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, that is definitely an infection of some type. As suggested, try the raw unpasteurized honey, it is highly effective. How long has it looked like this?
Is she eating pretty well?
That's great the old shed came right off, also. :D

Tracie

DragonFire2000

Original Poster
Thanks! I may have to try a vet if nothing works. My friend's dad has a bee farm and makes honey so it works put really well. I found that spot about three weeks ago and she is doing fine other than it discolored. She acts normal and happy and eats like a pig so im hoping the honey with treatments will fix it! Thank you all so much!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That sounds like a plan, honey straight from the beekeeper would be terrific! :D
How is she doing today?

Tracie

DragonFire2000

Original Poster
Well after some good washing and then a betadine bath and some honey for two days it already looks lighter and less red. I'm taking that as a good sign.:D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That sounds great ! Keep up the betadine baths but only very shallow and make it pretty strong....just be sure she doesn't drink any. Hopefully everything clears up for her !

DragonFire2000

Original Poster
Today the red is already fading and all the yellow skin has shed off and her legs are shedding now too! She is a bit more sluggish today than normal but it could just be stress from all the baths. Thank you guys so much for helping me I hate to see my beardie hurt.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm really glad to hear that ! You can reduce the amount of baths by just dabbing the area with the betadine solution. You might want to dab it on the areas on her legs + belly that had the yellow shed too. The reason is because if there's even a slight chance that there was a bit of yellow fungus, it can shed off in early stages and then come back. So just as a precaution, just gently apply the betadine/water mix on the area of her vent, under legs and that little area that was yellow. After it all dries, just dab the red spot on her tail with the honey.

Please post new pics in a day or 2 as you see improvement.

DragonFire2000

Original Poster
She is still doing well and acting all normal. There is still no change in the tail which could take a while. I do want to mention little black spots that appear on singlar scales from time to time. They go away after a while but come back. Is this just stress colors?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The black marks that come + go could be normal traces of color or may be stress marks. If you're concerned you can post pics here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom