So Stressed:((

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
I had to travel to my grandmother's house for the week and it is really hot here. Night temp won't drop below 86 and cool side of the tub I have him in gets to around 91. I have a big fan in the small room me and him will be in for the week. I'm going to see if I can somehow get the temp a little lower over here. I really don't want anything bad to happen to him or for him to feel uncomfortable. Do you think if I give him a soak every day to give him some coolness he will benefit? I really didn't think it would be this hot over here. Once again it's only for the week, I will be leaving Saturday morning. I just want to make sure he is comfortable and that the heat isn't dangerous. Another thing is, I have a 10 day cruise the week after next and he will be staying with a friend who has two of her own beardies for two weeks since she will pick him up and drop him off the weekend before the cruise and the weekend after it. I'm really worried that he will be too stressed. I will be writing up a care sheet for her just so she knows how much to feed and when and all the lights and everything but I'm really stressed. Will he be okay with the travel? I really have no other choice or else I would have something better to do. I think he'd be safest with people who have two of their own who look healthy and happy. I just worry he'll be very stressed. He's around 7 months and will be eating Phoenix worms and collard greens while he's there but I'm also not sure how many he should eat of those. I was thinking I'd send 300 large for 2 weeks. Do you think that'd be enough or should I send more? Also I feel it's worth noting that over there his tank will be set up the exact same that he is used to. Sorry this post is all over the place.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Adriana, this heat is a drag for so many people ! I am fortunate to have central air and I keep the house around 76 degrees. When your house gets as hot as your grandma's, just put the basking light on for 4-5 hrs. a day max. A dragon can handle being too cool much better than being too hot. You might also pick up a spare basking bulb from Lowe's or Walmart....a small Sylvania or Phillips halogen or incandescent bulb, aboyt 40-60 watts. Extra baths will benefit only if he's drinking, but if he loves the water it won't hurt him as long as the humidity in the area is not too high. Be sure he's well hydrated at all times. He should be fine at your friend's house....300 worms should be sufficient.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes I have air condition in my house as well so the house stays at a consistent temperature but my grandma likes it HOT! I was told maybe putting a cold water bottle in a corner on the cool side could maybe make it a little bit cooler there. Do you think that would be ok? Also, I turned the light off and left the room light on but hes going into his corner to sleep. It's 85 degrees in the bin at the moment and his lights were on around 8 hours today since I hadn't seen your post until just now. I left for about 2 hours and when I came back he was hiding under his rock so I know it was bothering him. I immediately turned the lights off and I will only keep them on for 4 hours this week. Would it be better If I split the light schedule up? Like maybe 2 hours in the morning and then turn it off and then another 2 hours later in the day? Or is it better to just leave it on for 4 hours and then turn it off? I offered him water from a bulb syringe and he didn't drink much so I don't think he's thirsty right now. I'll try again later.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A temp. of 85 is perfectly acceptable. I would put the light on in the a.m. just for 4-5 hrs only....the cold water bottle is a good idea but may not be necessary if the room gets to 85 with lights out. If you use a water bottle, clean the outside well after for your Grandma.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
You do realise that central bearded dragons evolved to cope with summer time extreme temperatures in tropical central Australia , where the temperatures you mention (about 30oC) are considered to be "mild". http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_015590.shtml

A central bearded dragon's PBT is 36oC (97oF) , so your bearded dragon will be fine at granny's so long as you put the basking light on a timer to turn off in the hottest part of the day.

Giving a daily bath is not necessary. He might like a drink from an eyedropper each day though if the humidity is very low, though if he's getting plenty of greens and live bugs he'll be getting all the hydration he needs.

Adriana0918

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh alright, thanks to both of you for the great information. It's put me at ease, however, I'm not sure if I'm being paranoid but, he's been closing his left eye a lot. I know that sometimes they'll do this to focus with the other eye but he's never done it this often before and its only his left eye. Its looks clear but it seems to be bothering him. He just a few days ago finished a big shed so i really checked his eye to see if anything was in there but it looks fine. No black beard but it really does seem to bother him a little. Like I said I may be paranoid since its been very stressful having him here but I just really want to make sure he isn't uncomfortable. I've heard that putting a drop of saline solution in his eye could help flush anything out and I have a bottle of BioTrue saline solution for contacts. Would that help to flush anything out that I can't see? For reference, I'm using an Exo Terra Solar-Glo Mercury Vapor Bulb 125 Watts right now but at home he's used to using this bulb as one basking spot on one side of his cage and a halogen bulb with a repti sun 10.0 tube on the other side. No loose substrate he's on paper towels until I get a carpet.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
For flushing his eye it would be better to use plain saline eye wash. And definitely don't use the 125 watt bulb in this heat, if you do, position it from several inches above the tank to reduce the heat the reaches his basking spot and only have it on for a few hours at the very most. If the cooll side gets near 90, turn the heat bulb off right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom