What to feed druing winter (basic greens unavaiable).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylphie

Okay, it will be a bit long, but I want you all to understand what's the problem and to give me some advices.

Fristly, all my dragons are between 1-3 months old, so they are not yet eating many fruits or veggies, mostly worms/crickets/roaches and greens. I tried some strawberries etc. but they don't want to eat them yet.

Secondly as it's now summer there is no problem with finding greens like dandelions, clovers, aflalfa etc. So they are having a lot of greens (plus basil, melissa once in a week).

But, the problem is, that I live in Poland and we do not have things like Mustard, Collard greens, or Prickly Pears easily avaiable (to be honest I never once saw them in shops...). And these are the basic in another countries during winter (well, whole year) from what I know.

As we don't have the basics avaiable in Poland we rotate more between dandelions, clovers, alfalfa, basil, melissa, Tradescantia and fruits/veggies for older dragons. But, since most of these won't grow in pot plants (I'm having success only with basil, melissa and Tradescantia) I'm not sure what to do during winter (and would prefer to be prepared).

So, what I think is that I could try three ways:

1) try to dry some of the dandelions etc. but that way they won't have as much nutrition value as they should...

2) just stick with worms, veggies/fruits and the greens that I can have in pots during winter

3) Froze the greens avaiable in summer, so that way they will be at least partially as nutritient as fresh ones - I thiank that's the best option

Thank you for any help, and please, remember that in some countries things can be slightly different, we care for our dragons too, and they are as healthy as the ones from US or UK :) I asked the same thing on my local forum too, but decided that the more input the better.

vulcan2016

Hatchling Member
If you wrap greens in a damp paper towel before freezing them it will keep them fresh and they shouldn't lose nutritional value

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Sylphie":3mien2ao said:
Okay, it will be a bit long, but I want you all to understand what's the problem and to give me some advices.

Fristly, all my dragons are between 1-3 months old, so they are not yet eating many fruits or veggies, mostly worms/crickets/roaches and greens. I tried some strawberries etc. but they don't want to eat them yet.

Secondly as it's now summer there is no problem with finding greens like dandelions, clovers, aflalfa etc. So they are having a lot of greens (plus basil, melissa once in a week).

But, the problem is, that I live in Poland and we do not have things like Mustard, Collard greens, or Prickly Pears easily avaiable (to be honest I never once saw them in shops...). And these are the basic in another countries during winter (well, whole year) from what I know. <<<< join the club, I Iive in Australia and I've never seen mustard greens, collard greens or prickle pear in the shops here (ever!) .... If I really was determined to use these I would have grow them myself.
Greens like buk choi, puk choi, kale are available virtually year round here , I suspect this might the case in Poland too ( even if they are imported fresh from more temperate areas ).

.... you could buy them in bulk and try a quick blanch and rapid chill (to stop cooking) then pat dry and snap freeze the blanched greens and keep in sealed freezer bags in the deep freezer so they are avail out of season
or
chop them and process them / mix them with grated veg and freeze in large icecube maker trays , thawing as needed in the offseason.

As we don't have the basics avaiable in Poland we rotate more between dandelions, clovers, alfalfa, basil, melissa, Tradescantia and fruits/veggies for older dragons. But, since most of these won't grow in pot plants (I'm having success only with basil, melissa and Tradescantia) I'm not sure what to do during winter (and would prefer to be prepared).

So, what I think is that I could try three ways:

1) try to dry some of the dandelions etc. but that way they won't have as much nutrition value as they should...

2) just stick with worms, veggies/fruits and the greens that I can have in pots during winter

3) Froze the greens avaiable in summer, so that way they will be at least partially as nutritient as fresh ones - I thiank that's the best option

Thank you for any help, and please, remember that in some countries things can be slightly different, we care for our dragons too, and they are as healthy as the ones from US or UK :) I asked the same thing on my local forum too, but decided that the more input the better.

Sylphie

Original Poster
Thank you vulcan2016 and kingofnobbys! I'll try both your advices for sure, and I'm glad that you confirmed that freezing will be best :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom