Acting sluggish

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarai93p

Ive had my beardie for 6 years. I got her when she was about the length of my finger, so I've had her pretty much her whole life. When i first got her she has some health issues, (due to her diet at petco) but has been active and healthy since. With that being said she has been acting skuggish for a while now, but the last 2 days she has done nothing but sleep. I fed her the other day and she didnt finish her meal, and I fed her again just now and she did get up and start eating. Her symptoms are: general lethargy, being unsocial (she used to cage dance until i took her out of her cage, now she acts like she doesnt care), not finishing meals, slight weight loss, and instead of exploring when we let her out she goes and hides under the chair in my office (which is next to her cage) and dosent move.

Is she just getting old or could there be something else going on here?

Have their been any environment changes, such as heat/light/daylight hours? Or any change to your usual routine? If not, it sounds like Brumation to me. Nothing to worry about but ensure you are providing her with fresh food and water daily, and correct temperatures and a safe place she can hide (my female does this every once in a while). Check this link to the care sheet: https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/brumation/

Keep us posted.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that brumation is a possibility. I'd pay close attention to her weight. If it continues to trend downward it may be worth a visit to the vet if you have an experienced reptile vet in the area. If it is something other than brumation it's probably best to try and catch it early.

sarai93p

Original Poster
So now she's stopped eating all together. I ordered some phoenix worms and they should be here in like 2 days. Theyre her favorite so maybe that will entice her to eat.

Is it normal for a beardie to brumate for the first time at 6 years old? It strikes me as odd. I keep her lights, under tank heater and everything else on timers so she has a very consistent schedule. As far as something in her envirobment, nothing has changed. She's had the same 40 gal breeder tank her whole life with basically the same stuff in it. I swap it out for new stuff every once in a while but i havent bought her new rocks or hides in like a year.

Im worried about her, she's never acted this way before. I bought her my senior year of highschool and took her to college with me(I hid her in my closet in the dorms lol), so we've been through a lot together over the last 6 years. She did go through a stage of depression after my dog passed. I had a little rat terrier and they were best friends. They would even cuddle on the couch together! He passed about a year and a half ago and I've recently gotten a new dog. Could it be the dog? He never bothers her, theyve been out together before and he just kind of sniffs her and walks away

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I would keep her away from the dog because of undo stress. A dragon that presents itself as being ill should be kept at a warmer night temp. This is usually achieved by a ceramic heat emitter which can be purchased at Petsmart. If you use a CHE be sure to get the correct dome fixture. If the dragon is not eating you can syringe feed organic baby food, maybe some baby food squash and chicken combo.

serenajo

Get rid of the UTH they cant feel or absorb heat thro the stomach and it can actually burn them...they only absorb heat from above on their backs...check your UV reptison 10.0 tube...they need changed every 6 months...that can make them sluggished..also make sure basking spot should b 100-110 for an adult. They need cool down at night...if ur home gets below 60 degrees...get a chi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom