Sick Baby Beardie. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi95

Hi everyone,

Long story short - I rescued three little beardies from a pet store that refused to give any treatments to ill dragons, housed too many in one tank (resulting in chewed toes), and a dead dragon every other morning was normal. Two of them are fine, the third one concerns me. She seems to be throwing up everything she eats, will not eat solids or insects and just eats the reptiboost, carnivore care, and baby food (that I mix in equal parts). The newest behavior is this: she presses her chest into her basking rock, raises her head up with her mouth as wide as possible, spreads her feet upwards, and proceeds to thrash her body for a couple seconds and then goes back to normal. It is different from an itch or regulating her body temp, or even showing me that her area is too hot. Other details are: she is about 5 1/2 inches long, her head is grey (while her body is a light tan/red) and her tail from half way down to the tip is black. She does not have any visible injuries unlike the other two dragons however she sleeps a lot and her eyes are puffy and never quite open. Can anyone shed some light on what I can do more or what may be wrong? There are no vets in my area that deal with reptiles so I am s.o.l.
Thank you for any help you can give! I just got her home last night and I understand stress can play a part, however I have never seen this behavior before. Also just a quick note: they get misted a couple times a day (I really watch and make sure she drinks), they have a 10.0 UVB and a basking light that I keep an eye on for day temp (about 105F) as well as the night temp (no lights at night).

Kiwi95

Original Poster
Also, I don't know if this is related or if she just simply lost her balance but, while I was holding her to give her medicine, she fell asleep upright in my hand; when she stirred a little, she lost her balance and fell backwards upside down in my palm and went sightly stiff. Could this also be related to whatever is ailing this poor baby? :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little thing....it may be a severe calcium deficiency with or without impaction or possibly adenovirus. If you Google adenovirus [ atadenovirus ] you'll see that some of the symptoms are similar. Only having her tested can determine it for sure. You're doing a great job with her, everything that you can. Unfortunately if this is adeno she's at the point where she almost certainly will not make it. Keep her separate from the others to minimize stress and do what you can, small feedings and nothing high to climb on. Hopefully the others will not become so sick, if it's adeno they probably have it too but may remain symptom free. If it's just severe calcium deficiency she has a slight chance of recovering, but don't get too hopeful. Best wishes to you + your babies !

Kiwi95

Original Poster
Thank you for your response! I finally found an exotic vet in my area, and though they don't have a lot of experience with bearded dragons, they have been doing as much if not more research than I to figure this out. They have been contacting other vets outside of the area and we think it could be one of three things: parasites (worms most likely), an internal injury, or adenovirus. Sadly, the little one didn't make it to today. I am having some tests done just incase it was not an internal injury and something that could have been passed to my other injured babies that were housed with her before I got them.
Thank you again

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm sorry that the little one didn't make it. I know you really tried....hopefully the other 2 will do well for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom