Possibily sick Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfp2002

hello all,

I have a question but first let me tell you about the Husbandry:

Just moved " Godzilla approx. 2 - 3 yrs" from my daughters mothers house:

Upgraded to a 40 gal breeder
150 watt Zoo Med basking light 20" away from a section of sand substrate (the rest is a plan cardboard)
Basking area is 98 degrees in the AM and because the room temp goes up it gets upto 105 in the afternoon
I changed from a small Compact UVB bulb to a Zilla Desert 18" 50 UVB fluorescent and am awaiting my full size hood 36" Repti Sun T5 10.0 UVB HO to replace the Zilla Desert one
Basking temp 98 - 105
Cool side Temp 85
Climbing tree in the center
Water dish
and Greens in a dish every morning

Now the issue: I have updated her needs since she has been at our house and it looks like she is ok but needs some work.

She will not eat greens or veggies at all! She is on the second day of not eating to try to get her to eat the greens. To my knowledge I have not seen her drink from the dish ever but give her daily soaks or spray downs with a water bottle. She has never pooped in her cage and will only do it in the tub. but hasn't pooped in 2 days since she hasn't eaten.
Last week when I was trying to get her to eat some greens I failed a bunch of time and offered her some food...... I am not sure (cause I did not buy them) if they are super worms or meal worms. but I am sure they are from petco and some look like meal worms and a few others look like super worms. She will attack the super worms everyday but if I add a green spec to it she will make sure to only get the worm. I also have Crickets that she will only eat every other day but if offered the next day she will not touch.
I dust her crickets and super worms with a calcium supp...... never used a vitamin sup before. I just bought Repcal Calcium with D3 for her and the Repcal vitamin sup also to help get her back healthy again but since we are at a battle of wills right now I haven't given either to her.
Since I installed the Zilla UVB and new basking light she will now sit in it in the morning but about afternoon she goes to her tree and hides under it and sleeps all day...... then at night she sleeps in her basking area or with her head under her tree and body in the basking area.

All lights are off at night. When I had her out last night she didn't move at all and just laid on my chest.
I am concerned about her: Not pooping unless she is in a bath, her only willing to eat supper worms and sometimes crickets, her hydration cause she doesn't eat veggies or drink, and her energy levels

In the pic was last weekend...... she was in the yard and looked like she had a ball running 4 or 5 steps and looking around for 30 min and about 50 yards.

any advice would be helpful.......are these issues that may clear up when she gets used to her new setup and I get her lights and vitamins correct?

Thanks

sfp2002

Original Poster
full

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. She looks healthy to me. Have you tried some other feeders? Super worms are ok as a treat. Mealworms are just not very good at all. Silk worms, crickets and dubia roaches are all good. Here is a site most of us use on here to establish a good base for salad beautifuldragons.com. Some beardies just get potty trained to go in the tub or some wait until they go outside. They don't like to go in their enclosure. Just curious how do you take the temps?

sfp2002

Original Poster
Hi, and thank you for the response.

Thank you, i am just concerned about the fact she is 3 and hardly eats veggies.I am using an IR thermostat for my temp. I have thrown out the worms and got crickets and dubia colonies starting back.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thats good to use a tep gun. Mine are 3 and 5 years old and they don't like veggies alot either. So because they are spoiled I will hand feed them the salad then they'll eat it more otherwise it's untouched. Also I have one that loves the yellow flower of the dandelion and one that loves impatiens. So I grow those in the summer. :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It normally takes them a couple of weeks, on average, to become accustomed to a new home, absolutely.
Your setup sounds pretty good right now. That's good you are using a digital probe or IR for the thermometer then, so the temps should be fine.
She most likely has not had much variety in her diet which is why it's difficult to get her to eat any greens/veggies yet. Just keep trying & changing things up to see if you can get her to try a few things. Eventually, she should warm up to something that you offer. I know it can be frustrating though.
The Zilla T 50 series tube is ok, as long as it is mounted 8 or so inches away alongside the basking light. It is an ok bulb but normally I recommend the Reptisun 10 tube or the Arcadia D3 12% tube because they emit a higher quality of UVB light frequency.
I think it will take her some time to get used to the proper lighting/heating & diet since she didn't have the proper care previously.
She looks good physically, overall. I think she will be just fine! Feel free to post more pictures of her & her tank setup also.
After you have had her a few weeks, you could consider getting a fecal sample done on her to be sure she doesn't have too high of a level of worms or parasites, too. Let her get all settled in first though.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for posting more pictures of Gozilla & her enclosure, too. :D
Let us know how she is doing. She looks very sweet.

Tracie

sfp2002

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply...... yes she is very wary of me still, and getting used to my changes...... she does have a slight tremor of the head at times and and misses crickets some also which concerns me about her strength. I hope it clears up when i install the reptisun 10.0 tomorrow. These guys are cool i just want to see her do more than lay around but she needs to get healthy first. She does love the yard

sfp2002

Original Poster
Thanks, she is very mad at me for making her eat baby food carrots in the pic.... i did give her a desert of crickets about 6 and 3 dubia roaches as a present for getting some baby food in her.

sfp2002

Original Poster
So I just took Godzilla to a vet and he agreed with me that she does have MBD from her old uvb lights...... amazon should get my 10.0 in tomorrow for now it's being outside and the reptisun 5.0..... he said she was boney and her tail and legs are soft where they should be firm...... also her back slouches downward when she sits....... all in all he wants me to continue to improve her enclosure..... and says that it's better for her to get nutrition and the repcal calcium plus d3 and the repcal vitamins as much as she can per day regardless to if it's on bugs or veggies...... she still will not eat veggies but if I get her weight up then we can worry about that.....he said he has seen worse but also stated that since she is exhibiting systoms of it being nural there's no way to know for sure but it looks like she can recover from the MBD then to work on her eating veggies and don't skip a meal cause she won't eat them...he thinks she was trained out of eating veggies

sfp2002

Original Poster
Godzilla is doing pretty well now.. she is still not eating veggies by them selves but she has gone from 380 grams to 415 grams thanks to @drache613 and Bug-de-lite I took her to the vet and was told to deworm her so she could get the nutrition the parasites were stealing.... I also got the reptophilus probiotic which has improved her well being. she is eating much more protein and acting much happier. Still has some head shakes some times but I believe they will go away in time. I have been able to trick her into eating some mustard green by pouring her dubia nymphs into the greens she will accidently eat two or three or her wax worms (trying to get her to gain weight and increase her appetite) I think we are making progress though.

sfp2002

Original Poster
Thanks, notice the last pic she is hunting crickets in her favorite corner..... apparently she loves them and is still unsure about adult male dubia. Anyway, I put veggies in her bowl and veggies on her perch and nothing unless she accidently eats a green...... she will actually try to spit them out, eat around them, or total act like she is scared of veggies altogether.... its the damnest thing I have ever seen, my deal now is lets gain weight and then get her on the correct food source. I will fail probable though from reading other forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom