My beardie just died and I don't know what happened :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotgirl0618

So let me just start off by saying that unfortunately my beardie was not able to pull through whatever just happened to her and has died :-( I'm sorry for the long post I just figure if I can get as detailed as possible I'm hoping maybe someone can shed some light on what happened so I can understand why she's gone and if there was anything that I could have done differently and do in the future. I purchased her from a petsmart about 3 or 4 months ago and she was I believe two months old when I took her home. she's been a little light on eating lately as she was shedding but she was still eating regularly and having regular and quite large bowel movements on a constant basis. So when I get home from work tonight I fed her as I always do a few crickets maybe 6 or 7 dropped in the tank ( she usually eats what she wants then crawls back up onto her hammock and that's how I know she's done). When I went back into the room after only being gone a moment she was laying in the tank, mouth open and it appeared as though she wasn't breathing (her rib cage wasn't moving in and out) well after maybe about 10-15 seconds she had a large breath and then repeated the process. There was a cricket body laying in the cage a short distance away from her which looked as though it had been spit up ( there are only 2 crickets left in he cage currently so she ate about 5 of them atleast) . I monitored her closely for about 5-10 minutes and her breathing appeared to be coming back but she still seemed out of it and wasn't really moving around much or even attempting to get to her usual spot in the hammock. I was fearing impaction or some other stomach issue so I made her up a bath and placed her in it hoping the warm water would aid whatever was happening, she took a few small sips of the water at first then she started going limp but then she came too and started trying to climb out of the bath like she often does so I thought it was helping, then she rolled over in a sort of alligator death roll maneuver once so I pulled her out fearing she would drown herself on accident, she went limp in the towel as I dried her off and next thing I know she slowly slipped away and stopped breathing but her eyes remained open slightly for about 5 minutes. This all happened in a matter of 20 minutes. Once again sorry for the long post I'm just at a loss for words right now as she's been doing fine for the last 3 months growing and eating normally and all of sudden she just dies.

Sylphie

I'm so sorry for your loss! To be honest without autopsy there is no 100% telling what happened. To me it seems like one of her crickets was too big and it caused the problems with breathing? But I guess that you knew what size to give her, so it's just a thought. Or she could have some internal issue that didn't give any symptoms until it was too late. It's really hard to tell as it could be many different things that we will not know without autopsy :( Again I'm very, very sorry that it happened, but you should know that you did everything you could in such a short time :(

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Poor little dragon....you must be devastated.

A necroposy by a reptile vet is the only way to find out what killed the little dragon , might not tell the vet anything , but it could .

ofcourseilikepasta

Hatchling Member
It almost sounds like she was possibly choking... :(

I'm sorry for your loss. I agree with what's already been said, an autopsy seems to be the only way to know... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom