Coccidia and Worms advice on cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyB

Hey I'm just asking for some advice from you fellow beardie owners that have dealt with Coccidia and Worms.

I have taken my beardie 'Loki' to vets following a feacal screen for Coccidia and worms, Loki was treated on the day for the worms and will be treated again in 2 weeks from yesterday. I have been given Baycox for a 3 day treatment to cure the Coccidia.

I have taken everything out of her vivarium apart from the basking slate and have put her on newspaper for ease of cleaning. To clean I am using a steamer should I be cleaning everyday or when I see poop? And for how many weeks should I keep this up?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Replacing the substrate with newspaper will help. Just replace it whenever it gets pooped on and hit any affected areas with the steam cleaner to sanitize it. I also suggest picking up a bottle of vetericyn so you can spray her bottom after she poops. That will help kill anything on her skin and prevent her from spreading the parasites when she moves around. I'd give everything a deep clean once or twice per week for a while until after she is cleared. Take everything out and give it a good cleaning with the steamer.

ScottyB

Original Poster
CooperDragon":128nunxa said:
Replacing the substrate with newspaper will help. Just replace it whenever it gets pooped on and hit any affected areas with the steam cleaner to sanitize it. I also suggest picking up a bottle of vetericyn so you can spray her bottom after she poops. That will help kill anything on her skin and prevent her from spreading the parasites when she moves around. I'd give everything a deep clean once or twice per week for a while until after she is cleared. Take everything out and give it a good cleaning with the steamer.

Thanks for the advice :) I have been cleaning and steaming when she poops. She finished her last dose of Baycox today for the Coccidia and seems a bit lethargic. She's laying down with squinty eyes bless her :(
I have been making sure she's hydrated and I'm useing reptiboost for a probiotic. She is eating but not a lot, she only had 1 Dubia roach today hopfully she will pick up tomorrow and the medication works. It's not nice seeing them not well.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's definitely tough to seem them feeling unwell. The meds can be rough on them for a bit. Hopefully the probiotic and hydration will help her feel better soon.

ScottyB

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1lnx47g1 said:
It's definitely tough to seem them feeling unwell. The meds can be rough on them for a bit. Hopefully the probiotic and hydration will help her feel better soon.

Thanks Cooper, I do hope so she only has one more worm treatment left next week then hopfully she's parasite free. I will send off for another feacal sample and if clear I'll put her set up back to normal.

ScottyB

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3jyg0736 said:

Hey cooper it's been since Monday when Loki had her last treatment for the Coccidia and I have been bathing her in reptiboost for the probiotic.. She hasent been eating the last 3 days and had 1 Beatle larve today. She seems
Alert but not very active unless I take her out the Viv for a bathe or run arround. Any tips on getting her to eat otherwise If she don't she may end up getting worse. I have orderd avipro just hasent arrived yet it's a better probiotic to reptiboost.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Going off food for a little while shouldn't be harmful. I'd just keep offering the food and let her dictate when she's ready to eat again.

ScottyB

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2dz8xhx6 said:
Going off food for a little while shouldn't be harmful. I'd just keep offering the food and let her dictate when she's ready to eat again.

Thanks cooper I'll be patient she still hasent eaten today. I leave live food in her dish so she can eat when she feels like it I also offer her food by hand every evening hopfully she will eat soon. Today she hasent been laying arround on the floor and now she's on her log so hopfully she should be picking up now

ScottyB

Original Poster
CooperDragon":22md4fwf said:

So it's been 2 weeks now since I went to the vets have another appointment tomorrow for another worms treatment. Loki still hasent been eating a lot managed to get her to eat a few wax worms yesterday with some avipro sprinkled on them. She pooed yesterday and when she wiped herself on the floor there was a bright red blood smear. So she might still have some parasites. Any suggestions?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She may still have parasites or may have just strained a bit. It would be good to have another sample checked by the vet tomorrow to see where things stand. Sometimes the treatment can be harsher and take longer than ideal.

ScottyB

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2wsnoezy said:
She may still have parasites or may have just strained a bit. It would be good to have another sample checked by the vet tomorrow to see where things stand. Sometimes the treatment can be harsher and take longer than ideal.

I took Loki to the vets yesterday, from 2 weeks of not eating she lost 8g which the vet said that's not bad. For the blood in the stool he has put her on a 7 day course of antibiotics Marbocyl 1% at 0.12ml a day. The vet gave her the final worms treatment yesterday so I will get a sample checked next week to see if she is clear. She had a very runny poo today and there was no blood in it. Makes me not want to give her the antibiotics.

ScottyB

Original Poster
Would giving these antibiotics make Loki still not eat? I have never heard of Marbocyl and not sure what it's treating against. How long do I wate till she starts eating again.. I mean how many weeks till I have to maybe start baby food feeding? I don't want to start that Im hoping she will start again by herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom