Beardie won't come out of hiding in the morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delta94

My boy (about 5 1/2 months old) basks on a hollow log and sleeps inside of it every night. In the morning when I turn his lights on, he doesn't come out. His eyes are open but he looks groggy and his colors are dark. I give him an hour or so but he doesn't come out on his own. Eventually I take him out and put him in the middle of his tank. He climbs up onto the log and basks, his color lightens, and he acts normal for the rest of the day. Why am I having to get him out of bed every morning?

Temps are ok I think, basking spot is around 100-105 and cooler side stays around 80. He's in a 40 gal tank which I've had for maybe 3 weeks along with the new log. Could be still be adjusting? He didn't act like this when I first bought the tank and new log..

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He might just be a grumpy morning dragon. My guys are like that. I schedule the lights to come on about an hour to an hour and a half before I get up to give him time to wake up and warm up a bit before morning routine (breakfast, basking, poop, run around). Once a routine is established they tend to be pretty good about following it. If I go to his tank early he is often still hiding or sitting there with his beard puffed out and acting grumpy (I don't blame him).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Typical teenager, loves a long sleep in.

Peppa and Toothless are like that , more often than not they stay in under their fake logs where it's toasty warm on top of their heatslabs, not sleeping, wide awake, but relaxing.

A very beardie thing to do.

Rex our old girl beardie (about 4 years old) is usually up and basking and waiting for us when we get out of bed and want brekky. (UNLESS it was a very cold night or it's dismall outside, then she'll be sleeping in too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom