How long to recover from illness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

briannamcoats

Hi there! I have a juvenile beardie. Someone brought him into my work a couple days ago and no one would take him so I took him home and named him crouton. He was stained orange (someone had him in sand) and he was extremely lethargic. Refusing to eat. I'm pretty sure he was impacted. been syringe feeding him, starting with a water pedialyte mix and moving on to baby food. As well as warm pedialyte and water baths and lots of belly rubs He is eating like a champ now, still from syringe, and to my extreme excitement pooped yesterday for the first time (yay!) I was mostly concerned about impaction but now that he's pooped I'm feeling a lot better. He's doing so much better now but is still pretty lethargic, just wondering how long it usually takes to feel back to their normal selves. He has moments of excitement and holds up his head almost always now, he just is super sluggish still. Oh and as far as temps and things. He has a basking temp of 110 (Powersun uvb) and the other end of his habitat is about 85.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
That's really a question no one can answer...how much time to recover. You should see some improvement daily. I would let him settle in for a week or two and if he is still lethargic you may need to get him tested for parasites. If, however, you see a decline in his health, take him to a reptile vet ASAP. The two week period is so he can become adjusted to his new environment. You may want to review the caresheets on the home page to make sure you are providing the correct habitat, UVB light, and food.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that it's difficult to say how quickly they'll bounce back. I've seen them fight back from some pretty severe condition though and it sounds like you have him off to a good start! Keep up with what you're doing so far and if you have questions please let us know. Hydration and a bit of baby food is the way to go at first. If he starts responding well to that you can slowly introduce some protein in the form of Carnivore Care in small doses along with the veg baby food. After that you can move on to live bugs and so on. Small steps and patience is the name of the game. It may take several months or more for him to be back to normal depending on what is affecting him. Please keep us updated on his progress =)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Just an indicative example.
Several years ago I rescued a juvenile water skink who was being attacked and chased by nextdoors cat from hell (it's a killer of birds, possums, frogs, lizards and anything smaller than it is and they let it roam freely outside 24/7).
I intervened when I spotted the little skink in a mad panic running onto my front lawn with the cat in hot persuit, I stepped in and had to kick the cat to get it back off and scooped up the poor injured tail-less terrified little skink and brought him inside and placed him in a spare cricket tub full of shredded soft nose tissue paper , and placed him in the ironing basking under a towel in the warmest room in the house to calm down .
I didn't expect him to survive the night, but he did. So very next day I found a local reptile vet and took him to be seen by the vet and assessed.
Poor little guy had a broken lower right jaw , with a nasty penetration wound to his right eye and the back corner of his right side of his mouth. He was as to be expected very scared of us.
Nonetheless the vet thought he had a chance and told me I could care for him if I was prepared for giving him intensive care while he was been treated for his injuries and any infections resulting from the cat bite/clawing and thought if he made it through the next week he had a better than even chance of recovering, though he'd be blind in the right eye and never survive being released back to the wild, the choices were he put him down or I care for him (I figured he deserved a chance at life (even if as captive lizard)).
There was no prospect of Wires taking him on , as there are no Wires carers in my area or within 2 hours drive and their focus is wild injured birds and marsupials ONLY.

So I brought him back home and set up a hospital tub for him on top of a 5W heatpad and set up a makeshift hide for him and bought some calcium and vitamin powders, a 5% UVB compact and reflector dome and some small crickets and mealworms and lizard pellets (vetafarm and repcal juvi beardie pellets).
I had to give this little 6g skink IM painkiller/broadspectrum antibiotics injections in his back near the shoulders every 2nd day (was terrified of impaling with the tiny diabetic needle every time !!!, I'd never given injections before and I hated inflicting more pain on him in the process), oral antibiotics 2x per day (he hated the taste of this stuff) using a syringe with a plastic catheter needle's plastic tube insert only (in the back corner of his mouth) and liquid calcium , and try to get him to eat some insects (his mouth was too sore to handle solid food so I had to squeeze out the insect "meal/goo" and give him this so he got some protein.
Seems little wild animals soon realise you are trying to help them and he became quiet tame within a week at which stage we thought his chances were good and we named him Lucky.
Injections lasted 3 months. Oral antibiotics 6 months, and he was recovering and thriving and growing and became a wonderful little pet lizard who was ubertame, very inquisitive and super affectionate. He never managed solid food, because his jaw was very badly injured so all his food had be liquid form or soft or a paste/slurry.
Unfortunately 3 months after having his antibiotics stopped , he had a sudden massive relapse and was dead the next day .... I was heart broken. Vet thought he likely had an abscess internally that was a reservoir for the bacteria from the original cat attack injuries and this was what killed him when it ruptured suddenly.

At least Lucky got 9 months of life he wouldn't have had otherwise and his life under our care was full of kindness and very rich. He has special place in my wife's and my hearts and memories and our memories of him are still greatly cherished even 6 yrs down the road. This special little skink was my inspiration to start keeping pet lizards again (this time as an adult (I'd had lots of short term pet lizards and frogs as a child) , and they have become my wife's and my choice of companion animals.

So, as you can see , recovery for a lizard is a long process, even in a young lizard, principally because reptiles have very slow metabolisms cf mammals , healing is very slow from injuries too. Plus they are very good at hiding the fact they are ill.

Keeping a sick / injured lizard warm at all times (including at night) is key to helping them recover as is giving them plenty of high quality insect protein and plenty of time to bask. This was the advice I was given by the vet when I was caring for Lucky.

Kudos to you for caring for your sick beardie , just be patient and keep up the treatment and you'll likely have a wonderful pet in the long run.

briannamcoats

Original Poster
Hey guys! Thought I should post an update followed by another question. So almost like magic Crouton is acting almost completely normal now. He is super active, likes to climb and loves being held. Based on size I'm guessing he is about 2 to 3 months old. My next question is this. I've been feeding syringe baby food, started with butternut squash and slowly started adding chicken. About to 75% chicken and 25% squash. Along with calcium powder mixed in of course. But I've been slowly introducing crickets. He's been every once in awhile eating one but today's episode ate about 10 in one sitting. Super excited that he's got his ferocity back but is it okay to be letting him eat as much crickets as he can in 15 minutes now that he wants to or should I more gradually introduce them? By the way thank you for all your interest in helping and supporting me. Appreciate it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he's eating on his own I'd definitely just let him go after the crickets. Maybe introduce them in slightly larger quantities over the next several days but if he's alert and going after them that's a good sign and you can move him off of syringe feeding for the most part.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
briannamcoats":2fj8o972 said:
Hey guys! Thought I should post an update followed by another question. So almost like magic Crouton is acting almost completely normal now. He is super active, likes to climb and loves being held. Based on size I'm guessing he is about 2 to 3 months old. My next question is this. I've been feeding syringe baby food, started with butternut squash and slowly started adding chicken. About to 75% chicken and 25% squash. Along with calcium powder mixed in of course. But I've been slowly introducing crickets. He's been every once in awhile eating one but today's episode ate about 10 in one sitting. Super excited that he's got his ferocity back but is it okay to be letting him eat as much crickets as he can in 15 minutes now that he wants to or should I more gradually introduce them? By the way thank you for all your interest in helping and supporting me. Appreciate it.

Excellent news ! :) .... you must be chuffed :) and very relieved.

I probably sound like a broken record , but .... I reckon he'll really benefit more from crickets (gutloaded with high calcium greens & beardie pellets) and dusted, and he'll get a lot benefit from a some silkworms each day (they are a lizard superfood).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom