Dragon on "Baytril"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickis89

Original Poster
Okay, so it's been a while since I posted in here about Merlin. I thought he was doing better, since I stopped giving him the Baytril. I was hoping that the 5 or so days that was on it would be enough to clear up his infection. (He had been shaking and having what appeared to be seizures so I stopped the medication). His foot was looking a little better, but now it looks worse. His toe is all shriveled and looks like it is going to fall off and his foot is big and swollen again. (I feel terrible). I still have the Baytril so I gave him a VERY little amount the past few days, hoping that it wouldn't be enough to give him the weird reaction, but now he is acting restless and pacing in his tank.

My question is, does anyone know of another medication that can clear an infection for a beardie other than Baytril? I have left inquiries with a few local vets (since it's Sunday) and I'm hopefully going to get an appointment tomorrow. (Another problem, I don't even know if any of the vets in the area (Erie pa) take reptiles.) I was considering calling the local zoo and asking where they take their reptiles?

I'm so worried about the little guy.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
You can Google exotic vets in your area or ones within driving distance. I read that you were prescribed this medicine. Have you contacted the vet to let him or her know what is going on or ask him for a referral? By giving inaccurate and incomplete dosages of an antibiotic you are contributing to antibiotic resistance, which is now a public health crises.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear he isn't doing better. I wouldn't provide under doses of an antibiotic as that could contribute to resistance which is a big problem. Baytril is a wide spectrum antibiotic but if it isn't working, then the best thing to do is probably have a culture taken so a vet can see exactly which bacteria is causing the infection and target it with proper meds. I'm not sure about vets in your area but Wintergreen Animal Hospital reports assisting reptiles. It may be worth calling them to see if they have experience treating bearded dragons.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry he isn't doing much better. Do you have a new picture of his toe?
Are any other toes/fingers swollen up or not?
Are you keeping him hydrated daily to help his kidneys out? Baytril is hard on the kidneys so extra oral fluids would be helpful. There are other antibiotics that could be used that are broad spectrum. Are you going to get him back to the vets?

Tracie

Nickis89

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! Yes, I am taking him to a local vet today. Crossing my fingers that a new antibiotic will help him!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How did the vet visit go today?
Let us know how your dragon is doing.

Tracie

Nickis89

Original Poster
Hi Tracie! Thanks for your concern :)

I think the vet visit went well. We decided to get him a "broad spectrum antibiotic" shot, and will be returning to get another shot every three days until the infection looks cleared. I had the choice between the shots or an oral antibiotic, but the vet said the shots are probably the better option because they are more broad spectrum and would have a better chance of getting the infection cleared, since we don't know exactly what the bacteria is. I am also giving him an anti-inflammatory oral medication every day.

I will keep updating! Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions! I hope he starts to feel better soon!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you got some further help. Which antibiotic are you having them use on him?
Injections are usually more effective & a little easier on the liver, too.
I hope he gets to feeling better soon! Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Nickis89

Original Poster
I will :) I'm actually not sure what the antibiotic is that the vet gave him... He didn't mention a name. Going back Friday for the next injection so I can ask then. Does anyone know if there is anything I can be doing to make it easier on his liver? Will more fluids help? (I quite successfully gave him small amounts of water off of a spoon when he was having the bad Baytril reaction to try to help flush him out.)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah extra hydration is a good idea. Just keep offering drops on his nose and see if he'll lick it up. Offer a little bit several times throughout the day but don't be too forceful with it. A probiotic like bene-bac or Acidophiliz+ may be helpful as well because it will replenish the good gut bacteria that will be wiped out by the antibiotic.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely try to get extra fluids into him while he is on antibiotics, they tend to dehydrate them pretty badly. You can give probiotics too so they wont upset his tummy & system.
How is his appetite doing?

Tracie

Nickis89

Original Poster
Okay, will do! His appetite is normal, which I'm happy about! He's been eating super worms, red peppers, yellow squash and leafy greens :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful he still has a great appetite! :D Bless him. That's great to hear he is eating his superworms & greens, too.
I hope he continues to do well!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom