Beardie not eating crickets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been spending so much on buying crickets at pet stores recently, so I decided to try and order some crickets online because I read that it's slightly cheaper. So I ordered a batch of 100 crickets from flukers farms for my baby beardie, but they ended up being smaller than I thought they would be (They're about half the size of the crickets I normally get for him). I put a few into his tank and he wouldn't even look at them. I thought maybe he wasn't hungry so I tried again a few hours later and still nothing. I did notice that he had started to shed a few parts of his skin, so I thought that maybe he just didn't have an appetite today. But then I put a larger cricket that was dead into his tank and he immediately gobbled it up. He almost never eats any dead insects unless he's hungry enough. So I know he's hungry, but no matter how many times I point the crickets out or shoo them in his direction, he takes absolutely no interest. Does anyone know why this is? Can he not see them? Or does he just not want to eat something so small?
I'm just not sure what to do? I don't want to leave those crickets in his tank overnight because I know that crickets will sometimes attack beardies at night and I obviously don't want that to happen. Should I just keep trying? Should I try to keep these crickets alive until they grow bigger and just buy bigger ones in the meantime? Any advice is appreciated!
Oh, and the package also came with like 10-15 of those weird beetle larvae things, and I was wondering if it was okay to feed him those? I looked it up and have seemed to find mixed answers. Does anyone know for sure?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's definitely better to order them online. At some points I was going through about 1,000 crickets per month. It sounds like he's being picky and doesn't want the smaller crickets. That's OK. Just put them in a bit with some cardboard housing (TP and paper towel tubes work well, as do egg crates). You can feed them fresh veges like carrots and other scraps you have on hand. That will keep them hydrated and gutloaded. They will grow quickly. Their lifespan seems to be around a month or so. I would avoid feeding dead bugs because they can have some unwanted gasses/chemicals in them during the decay process. If he prefers larger crickets you may need to get some on hand while the smaller ones grow. You definitely want to remove the crickets from the tank if they aren't eaten during meal time. I've found it best to offer them in small batches of 3-5 at a time so they're easy to track (for both of you). The bugs that came with them are cleaner crew. They are harmless and can be fed to your dragon but they tend to have pretty hard shells and aren't all that nutritionally beneficial so I usually just let them be.

dawnflower

Original Poster
I do have a plastic container that I keep the crickets in. They've got a couple pieces of egg crate to climb on and I give them food and water as needed. However I seem to end up with a lot of dead ones after a couple days. Is there something I can do to prevent this?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've found that die-offs are part of having crickets. They aren't very tough. The best I could do is to not put open water in with them (they'll get hydration from veges) and to keep it warm. They like having temps 75+ in the tank. They also need plenty of space so the more cardboard housing the better. They will attack eachother otherwise. Removing dead crickets right away and keeping the tank as clean as possible also helps.

The best thing you can do to ensure your crickets don't die off is to get the dead ones out of the cage asap. For some reason when one cricket dies it seems that many go along with it if not removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom