Bearded dragons and wet dog food

Status
Not open for further replies.

LupeGirl8

So I have to admit I made an account on this website primarily to get this question answered because it has been eating at me. I keep several reptiles, though no beardies, and have quite a lot of knowledge on reptiles both from studying and working with them. I've vaguely considered getting a beardie in the future, but have no immediate plans.

My question is: Why is high quality, grain-free, wet dog food considered a good protein source for blue tongue skinks (which have very similar dietary requirements to a bearded dragon) but not for bearded dragons? I know bearded dragons need less protein and more plant matter than skinks, but why can't that protein come from a high quality, grain-free dog food?

I'm deeply curious and it's been bugging me because I can't think of a good reason why it would work so well for skinks and not beardies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LupeGirl8":2jm10k0m said:
So I have to admit I made an account on this website primarily to get this question answered because it has been eating at me. I keep several reptiles, though no beardies, and have quite a lot of knowledge on reptiles both from studying and working with them. I've vaguely considered getting a beardie in the future, but have no immediate plans.

My question is: Why is high quality, grain-free, wet dog food considered a good protein source for blue tongue skinks (which have very similar dietary requirements to a bearded dragon) but not for bearded dragons? --<<<< there are two camps on this , the it's OK for Bluetongue Skinks (and other skinks) and the camp I'm in which is of the opinion that the offal from beef, lamb, chicken in these products is INAPPROPRIATE for skinks as a staple food (even if the keeper kids himself that it's mineral and vitamin enriched (ie pedigree enriched puppy food) and even if they mix in reptile grade vitamins and calcium and vegs and greens).
This is a topic that can result in arguments between keepers who do and those who think it's very poor husbandry and likely to result in long term health issues (fatty liver desease, obesity, gout, MBD, intestinal problems).

Sure in suburbia (here in Australia) BTS and other skinks (and I've seen eastern water dragons do this too) will frequently raid cat and dog food bowls , because they see an easy (all be highly risky) to access food source.

IMO a similar diet to a beardie (at the same age is most appropriate) ie mostly live insects + some greens and veg/fruit as a baby and growing juvenile or if you can't access quality insects a healthy diet of mixed repashy's vegie burger and Grub Pie along with multi vitamins.

Adults BTS I do the same as I do for the beardies - some daily live insects (I favour silkworms and crickets and garden snails as my insect staples for my 2 BTS (about 5 yr old) , mealworms and superworms are given as treats) , I add lean boiled beef or chicken mince occasionally, soft or hardboiled eggs as treats for my BTS, they love an raw chicken egg as a treat (messy -- outside treat) + the same greens and veg (and banana as a treat - my 2 BTS LOVE BANANA !!!).

I DO NOT USE CAT OR DOG FOOD for my skinks (or beardies) , BECAUSE these are the entirely wrong form of protein and fats, and I don't trust their safety wrt preservatives and substitutes of the proteins - you simply DO NOT KNOW what's in the can.

I know bearded dragons need less protein and more plant matter than skinks, but why can't that protein come from a high quality, grain-free dog food?

I'm deeply curious and it's been bugging me because I can't think of a good reason why it would work so well for skinks and not beardies.<<<< the keepers and breeders who advocate the use of cat and dog food for their skinks do this entirely for the cost savings and convenience , and are not doing their lizards any favours , and more often than not causing severe Illness (that shows up months after they have sold their baby skinks and even significantly shortening the longevity of these lizards), yeh ... you guessed it - not their problem right, and they claim the new owner must have done something wrong in their husbandry. IN SHORT - it doesn't work so well as claimed by the advocates.
BUT AGAIN this is a very contentious issue in the hobby.

In the wild (in the bush) , BTS eat much the same things as bearded dragons , these include insects, green herbs, fruits, berries, vegetables, smaller reptiles (if they can catch them), small mammals, baby birds and eggs in nests (especially those of ground nesting birds).

I know no one who has bearded dragons who uses dog food as a staple.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
That is a very good question. I have considered getting a BTS and researched a little on the subject.

I believe that feeding items as close to natural is best, although supplementing with a prepackaged food such as pellets, wet canned food, is fine.

I believe that I am one of the very few people on this forum that feeds canned grasshoppers and crickets on a regular basis as well as a black soldier fly larvae powdered formula (Rephashy Grub Pie) to my dragons.

I also keep dogs and have researched various dog food brands. Unless things have changed the meat used is not approved for human consumption by the FDA and is often not the choice premium parts of the chicken, turkey, etc. In other words, if you saw the cuts of meat on a menu you would probably eat elsewhere. A lot of money in marketing has been spent getting the public to believe feeding Fido table scraps will be the death of him (maybe if your scraps are fast food or take away). It is almost heresy to say you disagree. I feed a commercial dry dog food because I have five dogs, but also offer the occasional porkchop, hamburger, turkey, chicken breast because these are good cuts of meat.

I have tried switching my dogs over to the higher-end foods, Blue Buffalo, Timber-something another on up. Each time it caused problems...the runs. Whenever my dogs have upset stomachs the vet says to feed boiled low-fat chicken with rice. So I don't fully buy into the hype of these ultra-premium brands. I believe their meats used are inferior to the boiled low-fat chicken and rice that I have had to feed as a result of my trying to use these brands.

In the wild a BTS would have access to a wide variety of live feeders, some more nutritional than others so the nutritional values would work themselves out due to variety.

I think it would be safer to stick with natural feeders and keep the canned dog food as a treat or a mix-in (like a gravy topping) to entice eating, or just for days where you may be in a time crunch and need something convenient.

LupeGirl8

Original Poster
So my intent was not to debate whether or not dog food is appropriate for a blue tongue skink (because that is a debate that has been hashed out in great detail elsewhere). I simply want to know is dog food as appropriate for a bearded dragon as it is for a blue tongue (whether or not it is actually appropriate). Is there any reason dog food would be worse or better for either of them?

I will say that when I talk about dog food I mean 1) canned, 2) grain free, and 3) high quality dog food (the best on the market with human grade ingredients). Feeding a bluey poor quality wet dog food with grains or dry dog food is absolutely inappropriate. You are also supposed to only use dog foods made with lean meat (chicken, turkey, or rabbit). I will say that I have NEVER met a serious BTS keeper who did not think this kind of dog food was ok as a significant portion of the protein part of the diet (of course in addition to greens, veggies, and fruits). I have also never heard of anyone's bluey dying a premature death or developing a serious issue from eating high quality, grain free dog food as part of their diet (and I discuss and keep in touch with many bluey keepers, almost none being breeders). Blueys are kinda the dogs of the reptile world in that they are opportunistic omnivores that will eat almost anything they can find or scavenge (people report them eating animal droppings in the wild, and I've seen mine try to eat poop before). Unfortunately since there has been no scientific studies on whether the proteins from lean mammal meat or insects are better for blueys or cause any health issues we can only go off the results of others at this point.

Personally my bluey gets Nature's Instinct Limited Ingredient Rabbit dog food, superworms, canned insects, unseasoned cooked meat from my food, eggs (cooked and uncooked), and Reptilinks (raw rabbit, fruit, and greens) for the protein part of his diet.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
http://thebark.com/content/natural-human-grade-organic-dog-food-really

It seems that you already have your answer and perhaps just looking for different opinions.

I posted the above link of an article written by a PhD which discusses the use of organic and human grade labels on dog food, since you were inquiring about dog food for BTS and BD. Much to my surprise, The Honest Kitchen has been allowed to use the label of human grade ingredients its products. But not all human grade products are equal. Think of McDonald's chicken nuggets vs. a lean chicken breast. Just cause a food says it has good premium ingredients does not mean it has superior ingredients. (Many things okay for human consumption does our species more harm than good, namely fast food.) And the quality and nutrition of the foods given to captive BTS and BD are at the heart of the matter.

Can you really trust a dog food company not to take short cuts or change its formula without telling the public? It is in their capitalist nature to do so.

To my knowledge there have not been any studies on feeding BTS or BD canned dog food exclusively for protein. Most reptiles have not been kept in captivity long enough to know the health consequences of excessive use of a food manufactured for another species. You also need to check the fat content. Too much fat contributes to fatty liver disease in BD, not sure about BTS.

It's great that you know BTS owners who have feed canned dog food with no problems, but that is anecdotal and really doesn't provide proof one way or the other. A controlled study must be done, and there is not enough public interest in reptiles to make that happen.

I think until further information is gathered on the acceptability of using canned dog food, it is best to play it safe and not have it as a sole protein source for either BTS or BD.

Others will disagree but my two replies explain my reasons for not using canned dog food for either species. It boils down to you can't trust a corporation not to cheap out.

Even though they are similar (BTS and BD), too much chicken, eggs, turkey is bad for them so that would knock out using canned dog food. These are not appropriate staple protein sources for them. See below link.

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LupeGirl8":1pbzoyzt said:
So my intent was not to debate whether or not dog food is appropriate for a blue tongue skink (because that is a debate that has been hashed out in great detail elsewhere). I simply want to know is dog food as appropriate for a bearded dragon as it is for a blue tongue (whether or not it is actually appropriate). Is there any reason dog food would be worse or better for either of them? <<<< answer to that question is a definite NO , DEFINITELY NOT , no matter how upmarket the doggy food is claimed to be.

I will say that when I talk about dog food I mean 1) canned, 2) grain free, and 3) high quality dog food (the best on the market with human grade ingredients). Feeding a bluey poor quality wet dog food with grains or dry dog food is absolutely inappropriate. You are also supposed to only use dog foods made with lean meat (chicken, turkey, or rabbit). I will say that I have NEVER met a serious BTS keeper who did not think this kind of dog food was ok as a significant portion of the protein part of the diet (of course in addition to greens, veggies, and fruits). <<<< I've had internet run-ins with some here (in Australia) who claim they've been breeding BTS for decades and always use dog food who are so intrenched in this practice that they ridicule and personally attack anyone who challenges this.

I have also never heard of anyone's bluey dying a premature death or developing a serious issue from eating high quality, grain free dog food as part of their diet (and I discuss and keep in touch with many bluey keepers, almost none being breeders).<<<< I have , and it can only take 6 months on such a diet to do irrepairable damage , a good friend of mine learnt this the hard way with 3 juvenile BTS who were on a diet of pellets/dog & cat food (wet kind) that he bought from a local breeder at 6 months old, all dead from fatty liver disease before their 1st BD, despite his giving them a very good balanced diet and his excellent husbandry.

Blueys are kinda the dogs of the reptile world in that they are opportunistic omnivores that will eat almost anything they can find or scavenge (people report them eating animal droppings in the wild, and I've seen mine try to eat poop before). Unfortunately since there has been no scientific studies on whether the proteins from lean mammal meat or insects are better for blueys or cause any health issues we can only go off the results of others at this point. <<< you've not looked hard enough , maybe you need to confer with an experience reptile vet..

Personally my bluey gets Nature's Instinct Limited Ingredient Rabbit dog food, superworms, canned insects, unseasoned cooked meat from my food, eggs (cooked and uncooked), and Reptilinks (raw rabbit, fruit, and greens) for the protein part of his diet.

LupeGirl8

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3tfkghjz said:
LupeGirl8":3tfkghjz said:
So my intent was not to debate whether or not dog food is appropriate for a blue tongue skink (because that is a debate that has been hashed out in great detail elsewhere). I simply want to know is dog food as appropriate for a bearded dragon as it is for a blue tongue (whether or not it is actually appropriate). Is there any reason dog food would be worse or better for either of them? <<<< answer to that question is a definite NO , DEFINITELY NOT , no matter how upmarket the doggy food is claimed to be.

I will say that when I talk about dog food I mean 1) canned, 2) grain free, and 3) high quality dog food (the best on the market with human grade ingredients). Feeding a bluey poor quality wet dog food with grains or dry dog food is absolutely inappropriate. You are also supposed to only use dog foods made with lean meat (chicken, turkey, or rabbit). I will say that I have NEVER met a serious BTS keeper who did not think this kind of dog food was ok as a significant portion of the protein part of the diet (of course in addition to greens, veggies, and fruits). <<<< I've had internet run-ins with some here (in Australia) who claim they've been breeding BTS for decades and always use dog food who are so intrenched in this practice that they ridicule and personally attack anyone who challenges this.

I have also never heard of anyone's bluey dying a premature death or developing a serious issue from eating high quality, grain free dog food as part of their diet (and I discuss and keep in touch with many bluey keepers, almost none being breeders).<<<< I have , and it can only take 6 months on such a diet to do irrepairable damage , a good friend of mine learnt this the hard way with 3 juvenile BTS who were on a diet of pellets/dog & cat food (wet kind) that he bought from a local breeder at 6 months old, all dead from fatty liver disease before their 1st BD, despite his giving them a very good balanced diet and his excellent husbandry.

Blueys are kinda the dogs of the reptile world in that they are opportunistic omnivores that will eat almost anything they can find or scavenge (people report them eating animal droppings in the wild, and I've seen mine try to eat poop before). Unfortunately since there has been no scientific studies on whether the proteins from lean mammal meat or insects are better for blueys or cause any health issues we can only go off the results of others at this point. <<< you've not looked hard enough , maybe you need to confer with an experience reptile vet..

Listen, I am a biologist and I study wild reptiles as a job. I would be very happy to engage in an intellectual discussion with you on this subject, but your belligerent and aggressive tone is making me think you would not be open to hearing any evidence that might even slightly contradict your opinion.

You say I haven't looked hard enough for studies on whether lean mammal or insect proteins are better for blueys, so you would mind linking or pointing me to those studies (since you seem to be insinuating that you have found some)? My reptile vet (very experienced, was the zoo vet at a reptile house for many years) found my husbandry to be spot on and said my bluey was one of the healthiest he had ever seen.

I am very sorry to hear that your friend lost those three blueys, but considering all the variables involved there is no way that definitively proves that all wet dog food is bad. You haven't said what brand of wet dog food they were feeding (was it grain free, what were the ingredients, etc) or what kind of non-dietary care the hatchlings were receiving. There could have been many other factors that caused their premature deaths. A single anecdote is not scientific evidence. I could easily counter with my five or six anecdotes of blueys that have lived to adulthood and remained healthy with dogfood as part of their diet and it would be just as valid.

Your main complaints seem to be that 1) dog food contains too much fat and protein, 2) dog food contains harmful preservatives, and 3) that dog food contains too much organ meat (thus containing too many purines) which is not naturally part of a bluey's diet. So to address your points:

1) The dog food I feed is Nature's Instinct Limited Ingredient Rabbit Formula. The fat content is 4.5% and the protein content is 10%. You are saying dog food contains too much fat and protein, but both the fat and protein content of this food is significantly below the content of superworms, mealworms, dubia roaches, and crickets (as per this website: http://www.everythingreptile.org/feeder-pics-and-information.html).

2) I did find articles saying that the preservative sodium tripolyphosphate found in dog and cat food is toxic to reptiles. However the brand I feed does not contain sodium tripolyphosphate as a preservative. If you can find evidence suggesting other specific preservatives that are harmful to reptiles I would be glad to see links to said evidence.

3) The link below leads to a study analyzing the gut contents of Tiliqua multifasciata and Tiliqua occipitalis. These are not species often kept in captivity, but they are blue tongues and since I was unable to find any other gut-analysis studies this is the most scientific evidence we have at our disposal with regard to wild diets. Considering blue tongue subspecies seem to have similar dietary needs in captivity we can probably assume that the results of this study can be roughly approximated to captive blueys as well. You insist that vertebrate food items are unnatural for blue tongues, yet this study found that they do scavenge mammalian and avian carrion (which is likely to contain organ meat). It therefore seems reasonable that some mammalian meat, including organs, would not be unnatural to provide as part of a bluey's diet (in addition to insect protein of course, which makes up a larger portion of the diet). I was interested to see that the study also implied that vegetable matter was ingested almost exclusively by accident in these blue tongues with the only vegetable matter being regularly ingested in large amounts being fruit and seeds (implying that perhaps our blueys need more protein and fruit and less greens than they are regularly fed in captivity). Not to mention the fact that the number 1 ingredient in the dog food I feed in non-organ rabbit meat (though it does contain rabbit liver as well it is not the principle or sole source of protein).
http://publications.rzsnsw.org.au/doi/pdf/10.7882/AZ.2006.009
In addition this second study linked below found that crickets are actually also very high in purines, which means feeding a bluey organ meat is not necessarily any worse than feeding it crickets:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23633284

Based on this I see no reason that high quality, grain free dog food could not make up a portion of a blue tongue skinks diet and still be quite healthy and natural. Since fat and protein levels for the high quality, grain free dog food most bluey owners feed is well within reasonable limits (which means it would not be any more likely to cause fatty liver disease than an excess of insects) the only possible issue with it would be the high purine levels from organ meat. This can cause an overabundance of uric acid which can cause gout (painful swelling of the joints) in animals that are not prepared to deal with them (which may be the reason that beardies can't do well on dog food; they are more herbivorous and therefore cannot deal with purines). I do not know of a single bluey that showed symptoms of the swollen, painful joints of gout that resulted from being fed dog food in reasonable amounts, which leads me to believe it is not a common issue.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I re-read your initial post as to why BDs could not used a high quality dog food as their protein source. You mentioned the below product, and I copied the nutruional breakdown below.

Nature’s Variety® Instinct® Rabbit Meal Formula Limited Ingredient Diet for dogs is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.
Calories
449 per cup
3,815 per kg

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min): 27.0%
Crude Fat (min): 16.5%
Crude Fiber (max): 3.0%
Moisture (max): 10.0%

Unless I Googled the wrong food, the fat content in this would be too high and not appropriate for a bearded dragon and given frequently would be detrimental to its health.

As posted previously, dog foods use protein sources that are not suitable as staples in a BD's diet, chicken, fish, turkey, egg and rabbit.

This is an interesting discussion and I would like to see a complete diet "in the can" that would satisfy the nutritional needs of a dragon from juvie to adult. Progress has been made with formulated gecko diets (Repashy brand) and dragon formulas are now appearing (Repashy Grub Pie--powdered black soldier fly larvae which can be made into a gel-like consistency..to name one of their products for BD).

I understand what you are asking and realize that there are different views on BTS dog food issue. For BDs, dog food, no matter how premium, should not make up their staple protein or even be regularly included.

You mentioned human-grade ingredients being used in the dog food. I would note that if chicken, turkey, tuna, etc., canned for humans is not considered a good protein source for dragons then neither will there be a suitable canned or meal formula for dogs.

The safer canned items would be crickets and grasshoppers. You can find these canned items, and others, at Zoomed or Exotic Nutrition (their websites list all canned feeders, many of which cannot be found at Petsmart). It is my understanding that they are canned alive and then cooked in the can. It seems that they are less processed. Just a thought.

LupeGirl8

Original Poster
DaisyDragon123":1vxt3rhp said:
I re-read your initial post as to why BDs could not used a high quality dog food as their protein source. You mentioned the below product, and I copied the nutruional breakdown below.

Nature’s Variety® Instinct® Rabbit Meal Formula Limited Ingredient Diet for dogs is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Nutrient Profiles for all life stages.
Calories
449 per cup
3,815 per kg

Guaranteed Analysis

Unless I Googled the wrong food, the fat content in this would be too high and not appropriate for a bearded dragon and given frequently would be detrimental to its health.

As posted previously, dog foods use protein sources that are not suitable as staples in a BD's diet, chicken, fish, turkey, egg and rabbit.

This is an interesting discussion and I would like to see a complete diet "in the can" that would satisfy the nutritional needs of a dragon from juvie to adult. Progress has been made with formulated gecko diets (Repashy brand) and dragon formulas are now appearing (Repashy Grub Pie--powdered black soldier fly larvae which can be made into a gel-like consistency..to name one of their products for BD).

I understand what you are asking and realize that there are different views on BTS dog food issue. For BDs, dog food, no matter how premium, should not make up their staple protein or even be regularly included.

You mentioned human-grade ingredients being used in the dog food. I would note that if chicken, turkey, tuna, etc., canned for humans is not considered a good protein source for dragons then neither will there be a suitable canned or meal formula for dogs.

The safer canned items would be crickets and grasshoppers. You can find these canned items, and others, at Zoomed or Exotic Nutrition (their websites list all canned feeders, many of which cannot be found at Petsmart). It is my understanding that they are canned alive and then cooked in the can. It seems that they are less processed. Just a thought.

I think you might have looked at the dry food?

Here is a link to the wet food that I feed. Protein is 10% and fat is 4.5%. This puts both fat and protein at significantly lower than that of most feeder insects. I am not trying to argue that ALL dog food is acceptable for blue tongues, but MANY blue tongue keepers have been SOME kinds of premium, lean-meat dog food very successfully.

I mentioned human grade ingredients simply as a counter to those insisting that dog food always uses sketchy ingredients and "you don't know what is in that can". Not to imply that anything ok for humans is ok for a bluey.

Having looked further into the dietary differences between blueys and BD I have reached the same conclusion. Blueys scavenge carrion a fair amount and gut analyses have shown them to be more carnivorous than many people think with seeds and fruit seeming to be the only vegetation that was purposefully ingested. BDs on the other hand are strict insectivores with vegetation playing a much bigger role in their diet.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LupeGirl8":1q43hvdo said:
DaisyDragon123":1q43hvdo said:

Calories
449 per cup
3,815 per kg

Guaranteed Analysis

Here is a link to the wet food that I feed. Protein is 10% and fat is 4.5%. This puts both fat and protein at significantly lower than that of most feeder insects. I am not trying to argue that ALL dog food is acceptable for blue tongues, but MANY blue tongue keepers have been SOME kinds of premium, lean-meat dog food very successfully.

I mentioned human grade ingredients simply as a counter to those insisting that dog food always uses sketchy ingredients and "you don't know what is in that can". Not to imply that anything ok for humans is ok for a bluey.

Having looked further into the dietary differences between blueys and BD I have reached the same conclusion. Blueys scavenge carrion a fair amount .... <<<< this is not the finding in your own citation - see
azjswx.gif
, even for the very small sample of animals collected and killed and examined , the numbers do NOT infer carrion is a large part of BTS diet (2 from 49 one set , 4 from 70 the other).
I've never seen or heard of anyone who has observed a wild BTS eating carrion , and I live where BTS are very commonly encountered (they are indigenous here and seem to thrive in suburbia as well as in their native grasslands and bushland).
Never seen a wild BTS show any interest what so ever in a corpse of a dead animal, they are simply not equipped to rip a corpse apart , now large monitors like a Lace Monitor (also common here)) are perfectly capable of braking up / ripping apart carrion and have an impressive set of claws and teeth to do this and I have seen Lace Monitors tearing apart a dead kangaroo on the road side , small carrion they simply swallow whole.

and gut analyses have shown them to be more carnivorous than many people think with seeds and fruit seeming to be the only vegetation that was purposefully ingested. <<< I've seen wild BTS in vegetable and herb patched grazing on greens and flowers and seed pods (bean, peas etc) and they are also partial to the slugs and garden snails , insects and worms and grubs there they find there (hence they are often a welcome visitor to many a gardener's flower, veg and herb beds here (in Australia)) , I have also seen then tucking in wild fungus (mushrooms , and toadstools (they eat only the safe bits and seem to know what is safe) .

Spent my entire life (near 60 yrs) living in wild bluetongue skink territory and have frequently seen and interacted with wild BTS.
"

BDs on the other hand are strict insectivores with vegetation playing a much bigger role in their diet.

The study cited doesn't support the use of dog or cat food as a staple food / protein source for BTS, in fact the advice my reptile vet gave me was not to use these foods, and to limit the non-insect protein as it had in his experience resulted in many very sick BTS.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Interesting discussion.... I've never had luck with processed foods and have too many bugs on hand to fuss with canned options so no real comment of dog food...

How ever. It Does still have me wondering though what sort of nutritional "guidelines" are being followed? As far as I know there isn't and established range for fats, protein etc... there are loose guides and a whole lot of opinion.... What's too much? Too little? Is it a ratio? What about other parts of the diet (fiber and sugar etc) since the plant portion of most of the diets I see on this forum are hugely limited....

Even the acceptability of common commercial feeders is hugely subject to optinion (see the countless superworm or butter worm discussions in this board).

LupeGirl8

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3p4cbgpm said:
LupeGirl8":3p4cbgpm said:
DaisyDragon123":3p4cbgpm said:

Calories
449 per cup
3,815 per kg

Guaranteed Analysis

Having looked further into the dietary differences between blueys and BD I have reached the same conclusion. Blueys scavenge carrion a fair amount .... <<<< this is not the finding in your own citation - see
azjswx.gif
, even for the very small sample of animals collected and killed and examined , the numbers do NOT infer carrion is a large part of BTS diet (2 from 49 one set , 4 from 70 the other).
I've never seen or heard of anyone who has observed a wild BTS eating carrion , and I live where BTS are very commonly encountered (they are indigenous here and seem to thrive in suburbia as well as in their native grasslands and bushland).
Never seen a wild BTS show any interest what so ever in a corpse of a dead animal, they are simply not equipped to rip a corpse apart , now large monitors like a Lace Monitor (also common here)) are perfectly capable of braking up / ripping apart carrion and have an impressive set of claws and teeth to do this and I have seen Lace Monitors tearing apart a dead kangaroo on the road side , small carrion they simply swallow whole.

and gut analyses have shown them to be more carnivorous than many people think with seeds and fruit seeming to be the only vegetation that was purposefully ingested. <<< I've seen wild BTS in vegetable and herb patched grazing on greens and flowers and seed pods (bean, peas etc) and they are also partial to the slugs and garden snails , insects and worms and grubs there they find there (hence they are often a welcome visitor to many a gardener's flower, veg and herb beds here (in Australia)) , I have also seen then tucking in wild fungus (mushrooms , and toadstools (they eat only the safe bits and seem to know what is safe) .

Spent my entire life (near 60 yrs) living in wild bluetongue skink territory and have frequently seen and interacted with wild BTS.
"

BDs on the other hand are strict insectivores with vegetation playing a much bigger role in their diet.

The study cited doesn't support the use of dog or cat food as a staple food / protein source for BTS, in fact the advice my reptile vet gave me was not to use these foods, and to limit the non-insect protein as it had in his experience resulted in many very sick BTS.

The study was only meant to prove that blueys DO consume vertebrate matter in the wild (even if it isn't common) and that protein (whether insect or vertebrate) makes up a much larger portion of their diet than a lot of people think. As the study found they mostly consumed seeds, fruits and flowers (you also mentioned that they consume seed pods and flowers) with very little of the diet being made up from other vegetation such as greens. Again, anecdotal personal evidence does not invalidate a peer reviewed scientific study.

However you very tellingly did not respond to any of the other points in my argument. Such as the fact that the food I feed (10% protein, 4.5% fat) has significantly less protein and fat than all commonly used feeder insects, therefore invalidating the argument that it could cause fatty liver disease. Or the fact that organ meat AND crickets are both high in purines, so there is no reason that a diet partially containing organ meat would be any more of a gout risk than one of the most popular feeder insects on the market.

I am certainly not arguing that ALL dog food is appropriate to be used as a significant portion of a bluey's diet or that ANY dog food should make up the entirety of their diet. I am simply pointing out that SOME dog food (namely that which is grain free, does not contain preservatives known to be harmful to reptiles, and is made from lean meat sources that are low in fat) can be utilized as a protein source (in addition to insect sources) for blueys without causing health issues. Perhaps your vet has seen a lot of blueys that were fed dry food or wet food that was not grain free, not free from harmful preservatives, and made with fattier meats like beef.

I've gotten what I need from this forum and research elsewhere, namely that even the lean, grain free, high quality dog food would be less appropriate for a BD than a BTS because beardies are much more herbivorously inclined and strict insectivores (with regards to protein) rather than insectivore/scavenger like BTS.

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
I wanted to mention that BD are not strict insectivores. They will consume mice and other smaller lizards.

It seems that this discussion has morphed into can BTS and BD used canned dog food as their only protein source, rather than as a part of a variety of protein sources.

From reading OP's first post, the question seems to be can canned dog food be a part of a BD diet, like it is for BTS. The OP is not feeding canned dog food only but as a part of a varied diet. He details his BTS diet closer to the bottom of top post.

If you use the highest quality canned dog food, I see no reason why it can't be included as an occasional treat for BD, just be sure it's ingredients are okay which may require more research than it is worth.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LupeGirl8":2qrvbmr6 said:
kingofnobbys":2qrvbmr6 said:
LupeGirl8":2qrvbmr6 said:
DaisyDragon123":2qrvbmr6 said:

Calories
449 per cup
3,815 per kg

Guaranteed Analysis

azjswx.gif

"

The study was only meant to prove that blueys DO consume vertebrate matter in the wild (even if it isn't common) and that protein (whether insect or vertebrate) makes up a much larger portion of their diet than a lot of people think. As the study found they mostly consumed seeds, fruits and flowers (you also mentioned that they consume seed pods and flowers) with very little of the diet being made up from other vegetation such as greens. Again, anecdotal personal evidence does not invalidate a peer reviewed scientific study. <<< true .... note however the very small sample size used in the study.

However you very tellingly did not respond to any of the other points in my argument. Such as the fact that the food I feed (10% protein, 4.5% fat) has significantly less protein and fat than all commonly used feeder insects, therefore invalidating the argument that it could cause fatty liver disease. Or the fact that organ meat AND crickets are both high in purines, so there is no reason that a diet partially containing organ meat would be any more of a gout risk than one of the most popular feeder insects on the market.

<<< regarding purines
purines are important for primary two reasons:
(1) as building blocks for DNA (the primary genetic material in our cells) and
(2) as substances that could be broken down to form uric acid and potentially increase the risk of gout.

•Medium-purine foods:
◦Meat and poultry
◦Crab, lobster, oysters, and shrimp
◦Vegetables:
◦Asparagus
◦Cauliflower
◦Spinach
◦Mushrooms
◦Green peas
◦Beans, peas, and lentils
◦Oats and oatmeal
◦Wheat germ and bran

•High-purine foods:
◦Anchovies, sardines, scallops, and mussels
◦Tuna, codfish, herring, and haddock
◦Wild game meats, like goose and duck
◦Organ meats, such as brains, heart, kidney, liver, and sweetbreads
◦Gravies and sauces made with meat
◦Yeast extracts taken in the form of a supplement

I've studied biochemistry (to 3rd year university level as an elective subject) and in no way regard myself or claim myself to be an expert regarding biochemistry, that said, I think you'll find that the fats found in insects are quiet different to those in non-insect sources. (It will be very time consuming to go to my biochem textbooks and confirm this and detail the differences).
Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable will chime in and comment on this difference.

Is simplistic to simply compare % fat , % protein in the different food sources without looking at the actual chemistry of the fats and proteins as insect sourced fats and proteins will be metabolised differently to poultry sourced fats and proteins and again different to those sourced from mammalian sources.

IMO it is important to try to provide similar foods as the reptile will utilise in the wild.

I am certainly not arguing that ALL dog food is appropriate to be used as a significant portion of a bluey's diet or that ANY dog food should make up the entirety of their diet. I am simply pointing out that SOME dog food (namely that which is grain free, does not contain preservatives known to be harmful to reptiles, and is made from lean meat sources that are low in fat) can be utilized as a protein source (in addition to insect sources) for blueys without causing health issues. Perhaps your vet has seen a lot of blueys that were fed dry food or wet food that was not grain free, not free from harmful preservatives, and made with fattier meats like beef.

I've gotten what I need from this forum and research elsewhere, namely that even the lean, grain free, high quality dog food would be less appropriate for a BD than a BTS because beardies are much more herbivorously inclined and strict insectivores (with regards to protein) rather than insectivore/scavenger like BTS.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DaisyDragon123":19zjj25q said:
I wanted to mention that BD are not strict insectivores. They will consume mice and other smaller lizards.

It seems that this discussion has morphed into can BTS and BD used canned dog food as their only protein source, rather than as a part of a variety of protein sources.

From reading OP's first post, the question seems to be can canned dog food be a part of a BD diet, like it is for BTS. The OP is not feeding canned dog food only but as a part of a varied diet. He details his BTS diet closer to the bottom of top post.

If you use the highest quality canned dog food, I see no reason why it can't be included as an occasional treat for BD, just be sure it's ingredients are okay which may require more research than it is worth. <<<< I agree , only as treat or in an emergency situation and certainly not as a mainstay / staple .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom