My beard is ate a parasitic wasp!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livvieluu

My 8 month old beardie was in her tank and it has a screen top. Today, I saw a parasitic wasp in the house and tried to kill it, but lost sight of it in the process. My brother saw my beardie eat the wasp a short while later before we could stop her, so the wasp must have gotten into her tank after I lost it. I'm so worried! What will happen?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How long ago did this happen, this afternoon?
Most of the time they are fine when ingesting wasps, but will sometimes have upset tummies.
You can get some activated charcoal from the drug store to give for a few days, to help expedite any toxins leaving the body & neutralize them. Also, parsley, cilantro & kale can help to bind toxins, too. You could mix those up in a blender with water to give to her also.

How is she doing this evening?

Tracie

Livvieluu

Original Poster
Drache613":22bvylmt said:
Hello,

How long ago did this happen, this afternoon?
Most of the time they are fine when ingesting wasps, but will sometimes have upset tummies.
You can get some activated charcoal from the drug store to give for a few days, to help expedite any toxins leaving the body & neutralize them. Also, parsley, cilantro & kale can help to bind toxins, too. You could mix those up in a blender with water to give to her also.

How is she doing this evening?

Tracie

Yes, this afternoon. My worry is that it is a parasitic wasp. Parasitic wasps typically lay their eggs inside of a living creature and while they hatch, they kill the creature. Do you think that there is any chance of this happening to her? I know the wasp was ingested, and that's not part of their life cycle, but I'm still very concerned.

Those two ideas are really good. I hadn't thought about charcoal.

She seemed normal the evening after it happened still. I have gotten a chance to check on her today, yet.

Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
My dragons have eaten bees and hornets with no problem but I don't think I'd know a parasitic wasp if I saw one. Still, I doubt it will do any damage at all. The dragon probably killed it with one or two bites and it is now being digested. If your dragon is acting fine I think she's not in any danger . :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that the wasp was probably killed almost instantly and doesn't likely pose a threat.

SDragons

Juvie Member
OMG that's terrifying to watch happen. It would probably be pretty rare that it would be parasitic wasp. Perhaps a warm bath to help move things along

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? I imagine if she was going to be ill she probably would have already had a reaction. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Livvieluu

Original Poster
Drache613":1h1wh06t said:
Hello,

How is your dragon doing? I imagine if she was going to be ill she probably would have already had a reaction. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Hey guys! Thank you for all of your comforting responses. She is still acting like herself but I will continue to watch her closely and I'll update if anything changes! Your words are very appreciated

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I really doubt the wasp will cause any problems if the dragon wasn't stung. Most venoms are a form of protein, stomach acid is designed to break down proteins.
If your concerned about parasites take a stool sample to your vet in a couple weeks.
PS...I'm pretty familiar with venoms, I breed gila monsters and beaded lizards ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom