Beardie Dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A week ago my almost 2 year old bearded dragon Spike was losing his appetite. For example I would have to move the food around or he would not eat it.. Yesterday I found him dead, eyes open, tail black and beard black. There was also manure all over the tank and some on his anus. Can anyone tell me what happens?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear you lost your buddy =(. It sounds like he was ill but it's hard to say what happened without having tests or an exam done though. Can you go over your setup and what his diet consisted of? Something may have been off with his setup, but it's also possible that he was sick all along and there wasn't anything you could have done to help.

killianrockstar

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1lqedorg said:
I'm sorry to hear you lost your buddy =(. It sounds like he was ill but it's hard to say what happened without having tests or an exam done though. Can you go over your setup and what his diet consisted of? Something may have been off with his setup, but it's also possible that he was sick all along and there wasn't anything you could have done to help.
I have a Heat lamp and a UV and his diet was of mealworms I think they are actually to big that is what I am thinking and sometimes lettuce and was that just a rare thing or would it happen again? Do you think it was inpaction? His body was also warm but not to warm when I found him

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If only getting mealworms , he may have had a liver failure due to a huge accumulation of fat on and in his liver , if gets too severe the liver literally explodes , this is how it was described to me when I spoke to a vet.

Mealworms and lettuce are an extremely long term diet for a bearded dragon.

Severe impaction may have also been cause.

Only way to find out is a vet doing a necropsy and even then there is no guarantee the vet will be able to tell definitively what took your beardie.

killianrockstar

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":wy0k23ci said:
If only getting mealworms , he may have had a liver failure due to a huge accumulation of fat on and in his liver , if gets too severe the liver literally explodes , this is how it was described to me when I spoke to a vet.

Only way to find out is a vet doing a necropsy and even then there is no guarantee the vet will be able to tell definitively what took your beardie.
What else should I feed him the pet store never said anything about that

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
killianrockstar":388mt0d6 said:
kingofnobbys":388mt0d6 said:

Crickets , roaches, calcigents, silkworms these are the BEST feeder insects to use as staples.
See BeautifulDragons list for list of fruits and greens and vegetables.

killianrockstar

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":s846bijv said:
killianrockstar":s846bijv said:
kingofnobbys":s846bijv said:

Crickets , roaches, calcigents, silkworms these are the BEST feeder insects to use as staples.
O.K thank you for helping me can not get over though that spike died

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
killianrockstar":2m2j8yfg said:
kingofnobbys":2m2j8yfg said:
killianrockstar":2m2j8yfg said:
kingofnobbys":2m2j8yfg said:

Pet store gave you extremely poor advice , it likely cost Spike his life. Sorry .

killianrockstar

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3b8vnbj7 said:
killianrockstar":3b8vnbj7 said:
killianrockstar":3b8vnbj7 said:

Pet store gave you extremely poor advice , it likely cost Spike his life. Sorry .
Buried Spike today R.I.P Spike 2014-2016
Thank you everyone who helped...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom