How often should I handle my beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragoonTheGreat

Hello! I just joined this site, and have been a bearded dragon owner for about five days. I bought my little guy, Falkor, from Petsmart. He's a little under seven inches long, and not very shy. I've been picking him up and stroking his back almost every day, but I'm kinda worried I'm handling him too much...Am I?

Mrjaws

Good morning, I'm very new at this also but I interact with Mrjaws whenever possible. He usually rides on my shoulder, or my neck, or my head when I'm working around the house. He also likes to have his head gently rubbed. So to answer your question , as often as possible. Hope this helps. :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Depends on the temperament of the little hatchling and how it was raised prior to your buying it.

Peppa has always been really into being handled, she really loves a nice snuggle and being petted, has from the get go , she is also a very pretty little dragon and I believe the breeder was very fond of her and handled her very frequently (I suspect she was thinking of keeping her for herself as a hold back)
Her brother Toothless was and is completely different, very highly sprung and while being extremely inquisitive about us and everything was very skittish and standoffish when it came to being handled so we kept the handling to a minimum , essentially only initially taking him out of his tank once a day to bond by offering him a few crickets by hand....and taking the opportunity to pet him while he was munching. He's still quite a livewire and not so keen on being picked up , but once on the chest or tummy he calms down for a while and "tolerates" some petting and a snuggle until something grabs his attention then he's apt to want to go and take a look.

Generally , if they are enjoying the experience their breathing will slow down and they'll colour up nicely and brightly in the sides of the face.

My advice is play it by ear , and if you think the little dragon is not really enjoying the experience back off and let it get more used to you and learn to trust you.

DragoonTheGreat

Original Poster
Thanks for replying!
He doesn't seem to mind being handled much. He never tries to run away when I reach my hand in to pet him...But yesterday I took him out of his cage and let him roam around a bit, and I pet him and he was being adorable and sweet...But when I tried to pick him up to put him back in his cage he flared his beard at me. :(
I don't believe he was handled much prior to me buying him...But I bought him from Petsmart so I really have no idea. He doesn't seem to love being handled, but he doesn't seem to hate it either.
I kinda think I should give him a day or two to himself... Should I?

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
Yeah he will still be getting used to you and his surroundings so might be a bit jumpy at times but just keep at it and take it slower if he seems to be getting stressed. Stroke him in the tank, talk to him and let him settle in for a bit, then take him out for cuddles and let him get used to the attention. Once he realises you not a threat he will be fine.

My cheeky was really poorly looked after and sick and not used to being handled when we rescued him so we took it slow and now he loves being out exploring and being stroked, if we home he always wants out with us. Enjoy they are wonderful creatures and all have different and unique personalities.

DragoonTheGreat

Original Poster
Help! Ever since that beard-flaring incident, Falkor's been terrified of me! Whenever I approach his terrarium he darts back into his hide....What do I do?!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Give him space for a while. Go really easy around him and be patient. Try offering him some food from your hand and see if he takes interest. That may help bring back his trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom