Confusing vet visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I took my four month old (guessing) beardie to the vet for a check up just to make sure all was well. The vet told me that he has a bit too much fat and that I'm feeding him too many bugs.
I've been following what i have read on every site. To feed them 3 times a day until they are grown and then gradually lower to every other day.
She told me to feed him like 2 bugs a day starting now.
I feel like that is no where near enough for his growing body.
He also looks, to me, like all the other beardies I've seen. Not overweight.
Here's a picture.
86338-4362660912.jpg
I'm just confused as what to do, since she is a reptile vet.
Any advice?

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
He is a nice looking dragon. My vet had me switch my female to the adult diet at 10 months because she was chunky.

I've never read that dragons are supposed to be fed three time a day until grown. I've only seen three times a day recommended for very young dragons.

Following vet advice would not hurt your dragon. You can buy scales and monitor to make sure your dragon isn't losing weight but gradually growing.

While I'm not an expert, your dragon looks like he could be on his way to becoming chunky if you continue feeding three times a day. But he is a handsome fella!!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....you wrote that the vet said to give him 2 bugs a day now ? Or did you mean 2 feedings of bugs a day ? Two bugs a day would not be enough for him, but maybe you meant 2 feedings ? And yes he is a handsome boy. :)

AlexandriaNC

Original Poster
She said two bugs, which i thought wasn't enough either.

How often should i feed him bugs then?
He eats about 15-20 small dubia roaches at a time.

I just want a happy, well-fed, but not overweight dragon :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Feed him twice a day, that would be fine. In a short time he'll be ready for medium dubias so he won't be eating as many. Keep offering greens too [ if you don't already ] ...turnip, mustard, collard, dandelion, arugula squash topped with a few cut up berries to entice him.

AlexandriaNC

Original Poster
Okay, that's what i was thinking.
I offer the veggies everyday. He is starting to become interested in them.

Thanks for the advice!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He looks perfectly fine and healthy to me.

Two live insect feeds per day + greens and veg is the go for your little beardie.

10 -12 MED sized crickets per feed IS WHAT Peppa and Toothless were getting at the same age. They were about 100g each at the time.
A good option is 2 - 3 medium (2 -3 inch long) silkworms (equiv to 10 - 12 med crickets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
23parkera
Top Bottom