Just a Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was giving my baby Rhae some outside time today because it's nice and sunny out, and all of the sudden she leaps out of my lap and snatches up some poor random beetle. It was just a black beetle, she ate it pretty fast, but will this have an impact on her digestion? Am I just overthinking this?
I might just be paranoid, but I would feel safer with confirmation.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Most bugs are not toxic, but fireflies aka lightning bugs are deadly poison. What area do you live in and could you identify the bug at all....size, shape ?

OscaredCricket

Original Poster
Definitely not a lightning bug, just a black beetle. I'm on the East Coast, Maryland. I did a little paranoid research, so it's fancy name is pterostichus melanarius. Obviously this shouldn't be a big problem, but... eh. I have issues. Don't worry about it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good that you found out, puts your mind at ease and gives you that satisfying feeling of using Google for something useful . :)

OscaredCricket

Original Poster
Uh... She did it again. This time she ate a bee. That's not gonna do anything, right? I mean, it was dead pretty much as soon as she got it, but that's a little more concerning than a beetle. Our cricket order's coming later because it's a holiday weekend, but she gets plenty of crickets.
I might just be paranoid, but any input would help.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She seems to like exotic cuisine. :lol: My beardies have also eaten bees + hornets. The first time it happened with a baby that was only 7-8" long....I was shocked and thought I would see him die before my eyes. Wasn't I surprised that nothing at all happened ! And over the years, it happened a few more times. So, your beardie should be fine.

OscaredCricket

Original Poster
Bugs around our house will learn to fear her, I'm sure. Guess it's just like a special snack for her, I bet my brother will feel a lot safer with her around. (He's afraid of bugs) She'll just eat anything that moves funny or buzzes and he'll be fine.
Thanks for the quick reply, by the way.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) Of course we still need to be careful and not let them eat anything at random. Oh, by the way the cicada's are supposed to be emerging in many states and if your beardie gets one of them, they are not at all toxic [ humans eat them in some areas ] and are actually very nutritious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom