Beard changing colors?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooklinebrittany

Hatchling Member
Ok, so I know bearded dragons beards change in colors. Mine has a white chin, and when it flares it out it turns black. But recently after his last shed he has been showing me these yellow and orange tones that are much brighter than I ever remember them being on his beard. I'm pretty sure his beard is normally spotlessly white but... Is it at all possible that his chin will change from white to yellow or orange? He's already a year and a half old so I figured he probably wouldn't change anymore... But it seems every day like its getting brighter. Also, he's a year and a half and I'm not sure he's experienced brumation yet. Is that weird or normal?

Luthien

Juvie Member
Everything your saying is normal.

Beardies will constantly change colour all over their bodies, especially after shedding. I had a 13 year old that would still change colour after shedding.

Brumation isn't a thing that HAS to happen to a beardie. The same 13 year old I mentioned before never experienced Brumation in his entire life right till the day he died. Then my 5 year old that I have going into brumation every winter like clock work :p
It's really up to the Beardie and how drastically the temps drop outside.

hooklinebrittany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
well i mean... i know they change in shades, when theyre trying to absorb heat and stuff. but his beard has always been bleach white. until his last shed and now its got spots of yellow and orange. so i thought that was weird since hes a year and a half old. but youre saying they all change color? i never knew that. and im concerned about brumation. i dont really know much about it or how to take care of my beardie during it.

Luthien

Juvie Member
Not all beardies do this but some do. My very first beardie did it but the one I have now hasn't yet.

Brumation is fairly simple but can be frightening the first time. Most owners think their beardies are sick and take them to vets before they find out it's Brumation.

Your beardie might not eat, go to the bathroom or move. He/she will go find a nice cool spot of the tank, maybe in a hide or under a log and sleep the days away. He/she might wake up now and then to move or possible eat (depending on the beardie) and then go right back to sleep again.

For Brumation
- Keep offering your beardie food as normal even if he/she doesn't eat it (for live food remove after 10-15 minutes has gone by)
- Keep your lights on as normal, 10-15 hours a day but make sure your beardie has a hide where he/she can get to get out of the lights
- If he/she wakes up now and then you can mist your beardie or give him/her a quick relaxing bath, if he/she doesn't wake up don't worry about it.

Don't be worried if your beardie stays in this state for up to 2-3 months. Most beardies will come out of it after roughly 2-3 weeks but some beardies have been known to stay in Brumation for months on end.

hooklinebrittany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok so... i kinda feel like my beardie is experiencing that maybe. he hasnt been eating much and i find him in the corner of his tank sleeping a lot of the day. but hes in a room where there isnt much else to do. and he hasnt been hiding away from the light and actually sleeps in the corner of his tank that is really warm because i have an undertank heating element on that side. he will even try to scrape up the eco friendly lizard carpety thing on the bottom of his tank to get closer to that. i was thinking maybe hes just tired of me feeding him the same old veggies and fruits but he seems really uninterested. hes had a few health problems and obstacles in the past so its kinda concerning me. i also just moved into my boyfriends house, where there are many kids. and he is usually irritated whenever i try to let them hold him. but sometimes he runs around a lot when its just me and him outside of his tank. its weird that he isnt social with the kids, because ive always known him to be a very social lizard. everyone who meets him says hes so alert. but with them he just wants to be left alone. im thinking maybe the change of scenery maybe has freaked him out a little? im just worried because hes not eating as much as he should. he will take a couple bites of his fruits and veggies and then just walk away like he forgot about it or something. he is also small due to his past health problems, he is just as long as he should be but hes not as wide as most lizards his age. but its not like i can force food down his throat. idk im really concerned now that i think of it.

hooklinebrittany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
also, does anybody know any way i can increase the heat in my beardies tank without getting another heating element? my old house was a lot warmer than this one. so now im concerned because my beardies tank is ten degrees colder than it should be on the cool side and warm side and fifteen degrees less warm than it should be on his basking area. and my boyfriends father doesnt want me blowing up his heating bill even though they let me bring him here knowing he needs a lot of heat (theyre ridiculous *****s, i know. they actually asked if he needed those lights on all day. i was like... uhm... yeah. hes from the freaking desert.) bottom line is if nobody knows of a way to make it hotter without getting another heat source ill either move with my lizard back to my moms or ill buy a new heat element and theyll have to suck it up. but id like to atleast give it a shot for his parents sake. any advice is welcomed, thanks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
To increase heat in the tank, buy a sheet of insulation board from Home Depot or Lowe's and tape it around the sides+ back of the tank. If the tank has a screen top, cover part of it with a towel or piece of cardboard. Those are a few things you could try if you can't go with a higher watt bulb.

Luthien

Juvie Member
A higher watt bulb in your lights will bump up the heat, if not do the cover trick. Place a towel on top of your tank and wrap the tank like another person has already said

curtbone123

Juvie Member
Can somebody help me out on brumation i think my beardy was going through it cuz he wasnt eating or shedding in 3 or 4 month ago and he was always sleeping everyday in the evening but now he been up and about these past 2 days so seemed back to his self again but he still wont eat he just ate 4 pieces of collard greens yesturday but thats it he not eating his superworms so whats going with him could he still be in brumation? Cuz he still havent shed yet and he's not eating like he should

Luthien

Juvie Member
curtbone123":y6nfx2qr said:
Can somebody help me out on brumation i think my beardy was going through it cuz he wasnt eating or shedding in 3 or 4 month ago and he was always sleeping everyday in the evening but now he been up and about these past 2 days so seemed back to his self again but he still wont eat he just ate 4 pieces of collard greens yesturday but thats it he not eating his superworms so whats going with him could he still be in brumation? Cuz he still havent shed yet and he's not eating like he should

Yes it could still be brumation, some beardies will be acting normal as soon as they come out of it but not eat for another couple of weeks. It's just their bodies way of getting back to normal. Think of it as everything has to start up again.

curtbone123

Juvie Member
ok thanks ima see how he will act after a couple of weeks cuz i really hope he gets his appetite back i dont want him to lose any more weight he lost a lil bit but not alot

hooklinebrittany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok so i finally got the heat in his tank the way i wanted it to be. i started feeding him some organic baby food thinking maybe hed like it better than anything else i was giving him before. and he did for a while. but now he seems to like it less. im not sure actually if he likes it or if hes just licking it because he wants to get it off his face. haha. but im starting to realize how picky he is and its making me wonder if its affecting his health. he will eat a few bites of everything he likes but only a few and then he walks away like hes bored with it or something. the only thing he doesnt get bored of are crickets because theyre always moving i think. but i cant seem to find a food i can constantly rely on him to feast on when i feed him. i keep telling myself well hes small and maybe he fills up fast but im not entirely sure thats true or if hes bored or brumating or what. really friggin confused right about now. i wish he wasnt so damned picky. why did i name him POPE ivan? i think it gave him a complex. >:/ grrrr.

hooklinebrittany

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
also is there anything i can feed him to fatten him up? like i heard worms are bad for them... but i see that some people feed them to their beardies and their beardies like them and get much fatter off them? hes kinda lean. not skinny by any means. ive seen some skinny beardies and hes not one. but he could really use more fat. like i said, hes lean. probably because hes a picky little bugger. even though i love him for it. hes just like his mama. :)

Luthien

Juvie Member
Sometimes with beardies (especially young beardies) you just have to be patient. When I got my very first beardie I was so worried because he WOULD NOT eat his veggies and greens. It was crickets, crickets and more crickets.

Worms can be very filling but only certain kinds. Repti worms are fine and super worms as well but super worms are big so they can't be fed to young beardies. DO NOT feed your beardie meal worms, they have absolutely no nutrition in them and are very hard to digest.

My advice to you is keep feeding as usual, trust me when your beardie gets hungry he/she will eat. It's garanteed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom