how to deal with power outages???

This forum is for advanced discussions on Lighting and Enclosures. Advanced discussions are those that are not necessarily for the general hobbyist, contains practices that should not be applied by those lacking experience, or may be for theoretical discussions that we do not want to have confused with recommended care.

how to deal with power outages???

Postby rowo » Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:33 am

been having some heavy storms recently, thankfully the power only went out once and it was back within a few hours. there’s supposed to be a big storm tonight and i’m never really sure what to do for my dragon when the power is out? especially now since it’s winter i don’t know how i’ll keep him warm. any advice?
rowo
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: how to deal with power outages???

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:16 pm

If it's just for a small amount of time and the heat stays on in the house, it's not a big problem. They do just fine at room temp for a while. There are some things you can do in order to prepare for storms and power outages though.

I have my lights on a computer battery backup. That easily handles outages of up to a few hours. I also keep a couple of charged deep cycle boat batteries in the basement. I have a power inverter for them so they can be used to keep the lights on (a couple hours on, a few more off) for quite a while. For longer outages (weeks) then having a generator and fuel is probably the best bet, but more expensive - and you need to maintain the fuel and replace it as needed.

I also have a bunch of 72hr reptile shipping heat packs. They don't get dangerously hot and stay warm for several days as advertised. They are very much worthwhile. I use them for camping trips as well. They expire after a while so I buy a years worth at a time (10-12) and make sure to replace any that have expired.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Lighting/Enclosures