One beardie has shed 2x the other only 1x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I’m new to the bearded dragon world. My ex and I bought our first one in December and the second about a few days after buying the first. Well the first one (spike)we bought was from petsmart and the second (Phoenix)from a reptile store. Anyways. Spike has only shed I believe one time and doesn’t seem to be growing as for Phoenix has shed atleast 2 and seems to be getting bigger. They are both eating and spike will drink and chill in the water as for Phoenix she doesn’t want anything to do with the water. Should I be worried that spike hasn’t shed as much as Phoenix. I know it prob sounds stupid to worry. Thanks for any advice.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Just reading between the lines here and, correct me if I'm wrong but are these two dragons housed together by chance?
If so, you need to separate them asap! One is dominating the other as we speak. You may not notice it being new to the dragon realm but, it is happening. One will get the best of everything and, the other gets what the other one does take. This is why one doesn't go near the water dish... "It has been claimed as the others territory"! The battle will continue until one day, in the blink of an eye they WILL fight and, you can end up with mangled or worse dragons.
They are very territorial and, very solitary creatures. They only tolerate each other during mating season and, even then it is risky.

Amberrenee

Original Poster
they seem to be getting along fine. Spike is the one who is smaller and will drink the water and hang out for a bit in there. Phoenix is the one who has shed 2x and will run out of the water dish when I try to get her to drink. How do I post a pic so you can see the set up.

Amberrenee

Original Poster
96873-5737468712.jpg
the one on the left is Phoenix the one we got from the wild things reptile shop. And spike the one on the right is from petsmart. I just fed them and I had Phoenix out of the tank so spike can eat and he ate 4-5. I can’t separate them cause I don’t have anything to put the other one in. Now I’m really worried. ?

Amberrenee

Original Poster
They both are active and running around at times. And they both like to lay on the top part of the branch or just chill on the rock. But they do move around a lot

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks like a nice setup. I like the rock and the large stick to climb on. What do you have in place for lighting? I suggest replacing the sand with something solid and easy to clean/sanitize such as tile or non adhesive shelf liner. Unfortunately they are probably already competing for resources so I would work on building a second enclosure as soon as you can. As they get larger, this competition may grow more fierce as they will require larger basking spots and they may become more aggressive as they age.

Amberrenee

Original Poster
What do you mean fighting for resources? I’ll get a pic of lighting right now. I’ve never owned beardies before and I love the little guys. I just want them to grow. Lol.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They will compete for things like prime basking spots, hides, food. A lot of times one will dominate the other and one will thrive while the other struggles. Even if they aren't outwardly aggressive this becomes an issue after a while. For both of them to thrive they will likely each need their own space. It's most cost effective to build your own in order to give them the (adult sized) space they need. You can set it up as two separate tanks or if you are strapped for space you can build a stacked setup which seems to work well. I would plan on going straight to an adult sized enclosure so you only have to build/buy once and the lighting can remain the same. It will save money and hassle in the long run.

Amberrenee

Original Poster
They both seem to eat fine when they are together. I fed spike separate today and he ate 4-5 waxworks. And then I tried to feed her but she wasn’t hungry. Usually I feed them together and they will eat just fine. They will eat like 2 each and then that’s it. I’m just worried cause Phoenix has shed more then spike has.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Their shed cycles aren't a constant. Not between dragons or even between their own shed cycles. When they get older they even just start shedding in random small patches. I wouldn't put too much concern into that itself. I would keep a log of each of their weights using a kitchen gram scale. That will give you a more accurate measurement of their growth & progress. I like to keep weight measurements in a spreadsheet so it's easy to graph the weights and watch the trendline which should be increasing steadily at their age (the individual plots will fluctuate).

Amberrenee

Original Poster
Thank you. I’m just so nervous cause she’s weve put a lot of money into these guys. They won’t eat greens though. Just the wax worms. But idk what veggie or greens to get so they eat. Any suggestions

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't use wax worms as a staple due to their high fat content. They will hold out for them though because they are probably quite tasty. A better substitute would be black soldier fly larvae which are similarly soft but much healthier. Small silk worms are good too when you can get them. They tend to be seasonal. Small crickets and roaches are good staples as well. It's good to rotate to offer as much variety as you can. As far as veges go, the little guys often ignore them in favor of bugs. They need a lot of protein to support their growth spurts. Just keep making a small salad available so it's familiar to them. When their growth slows at around 12-18 months their diet should slowly transition to primarily veges. I like to reference this list for ideas about what to offer. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html Just rotate based on what looks fresh at the store and pick up some things you like too so you can share. Uneaten salads make good food for crickets and roaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom